Menu

What do you use/teach for language arts?

snipsnsnailsx5

Language arts is the one area I feel like I'm constantly "not getting".

What components make up language arts? What am I forgetting? Where can I improve? What better curriculum is out there than what I am using?

I'm NOT a math person, I am totally more of the language arts person - and so maybe that's why I feel so underwhelmed all the time.

Here is what I am doing:

DS 6 - Explode the Code, First Language Lessons, Writing With Ease, and All About Spelling

*He really needs reading help, but other then Explode the Code, I really don't know how to go about that?

DS 8 - Learning Language Arts Through Literature (which I'm not impressed with at all), First Language Lessons, Writing With Ease, All About Spelling, and Spelling Workout.

*He also needs more help with his reading and comprehension. He doesn't like to read though. :(

DS 11 - Learning Language Arts Through Literature, Winston Grammar, and Spelling Workout.

*He loves to read, but I really want to find more literature study units to do with him and he needs more challenging books then what he typically chooses for himself.

Winston Grammar is only teaching him parts of a sentence and how to diagram them. I feel he needs a lot more language arts. Learning Language Arts Through Literature has not been a help at ALL for him. Maybe moving up a level will help-he's on tan right now. However it seems we skip over so much, like the spelling, and areas he already knows that it's just pointless.

Please help!! :)

Here is what I am doing:

DS 6 - Explode the Code, First Language Lessons, Writing With Ease, and All About Spelling

*He really needs reading help, but other then Explode the Code, I really don't know how to go about that?

I'm not sure if you're looking to add more, but with my 6 year old, we're using CLE Learning to Read. It's so wonderful. I wish I had known about it when I was teaching my daughter to read. It's been awesome! It's a half year program, and we'll probably switch to grade 1 reading when he's completed the LTR program. He also uses AAS, WWE, and FLL. Additionally, we like the free Scott Foreman grammar for Grade 1. He does one page a day (if it involves writing, he narrates for me).

for your 8 year old, my daughter uses bookadventure.com for reading comprehension. she reads books, takes quizzes, and earns points for free stuff. she loves it. i know there are wonderful reading comprehension curricula as well, but we've not invested in that as of yet.

hth.

I don't do "language arts." :)

Your dc needs phonics (if just learning how to read), reading/literature, spelling (vocabulary for older dc), composition, and penmanship.

Here is what I am doing:

With a dc just 6, *I* would focus on ETC, and use books from the library to give him practice in reading. Lacking a near-by library, I'd look for readers like Pathway or McGuffy.

DS 8 - Learning Language Arts Through Literature (which I'm not impressed with at all), First Language Lessons, Writing With Ease, All About Spelling, and Spelling Workout.

*He also needs more help with his reading and comprehension. He doesn't like to read though. :(

You've doubled up on everything. My vote would be either to drop LLATL or drop the others. Using both AAS and Spelling Workout is redundant, too.

DS 11 - Learning Language Arts Through Literature, Winston Grammar, and Spelling Workout.

*He loves to read, but I really want to find more literature study units to do with him and he needs more challenging books then what he typically chooses for himself.

Winston Grammar is only teaching him parts of a sentence and how to diagram them. I feel he needs a lot more language arts. Learning Language Arts Through Literature has not been a help at ALL for him. Maybe moving up a level will help-he's on tan right now. However it seems we skip over so much, like the spelling, and areas he already knows that it's just pointless.

Again, you have redundancy: LLATL plus all the others. My thoughts are the same: either use LLATL and not the others, or drop the others.

Winston Grammar is just grammar; that's all it teaches. Perhaps you're thinking that "language arts" means just grammar?

My vote would be to toss everything for the younger two dc and do Spalding with them both. It would be everything they would need for English skills: reading, spelling, punctuation and capitalization, penmanship, simple composition.

For teaching reading I use Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading. It has saved me and my 6 year old from learning to read torture!

We also use: Explode the Code, First Language Lessons and Writing Aids (TOG)

I don't plan on starting formal spelling until 2nd grade since ETC technically teaches spelling via the repetition of writing 3-4 letter words.

Language arts is the one area I feel like I'm constantly "not getting".

What components make up language arts? What am I forgetting? Where can I improve? What better curriculum is out there than what I am using?

I'm NOT a math person, I am totally more of the language arts person - and so maybe that's why I feel so underwhelmed all the time.

Here is what I am doing:

*He really needs reading help, but other then Explode the Code, I really don't know how to go about that? Imo, he needs a solid phonics program. I use ETC as a supplement to Phonics Pathways. It is super easy, open and go. You move along at the child's pace. You can do the whole book orally if you prefer. Phonics Pathways does teach spelling rules and patterns as they pertain to phonics but spelling is not a main focus. I personally am waiting until we are finished with phonics instruction before we start spelling.

*He also needs more help with his reading and comprehension. He doesn't like to read though. :( I would drop one of these spelling programs. I've not used either though so can't give a recommendation as to which would be better to keep. As for reading, if he didn't have a thorough phonics program he is going to have a tough time with comprehension. If most of his focus is trying to decode words he is not going to be able to concentrate on what the story is about. You could do the Phonics Pathways with him also. He could move quickly through the book until you get to a spot where he needs to spend more time and then move along at his pace. I would not worry about the comprehension until he is reading fluently. I agree with Elle about LLATL and FLL being redundant. I would drop the LLATL.

Winston Grammar is only teaching him parts of a sentence and how to diagram them. I feel he needs a lot more language arts. Learning Language Arts Through Literature has not been a help at ALL for him. Maybe moving up a level will help-he's on tan right now. However it seems we skip over so much, like the spelling, and areas he already knows that it's just pointless. Again, I would drop the LLATL. You sound like you really don't like it so it is probably never going to work out well for you. I'll also plug my favorite for grammar instruction; Rod & Staff. It also includes some writing instruction. I didn't see any writing for this child. Since you are using WWE with the younger dc you might want to listen to SWB's writing lectures. As far as literature you could look at the book lists from Ambleside or you might want to look at Lightning Lit.if he is a very strong reader. Glencoe and Progeny Press have individual lit guides. You could do a search here for literature studies.

Please help!! :)

As far as the reading goes I would concentrate on making this a priority above everything else. Let them do lots of reading practice on books that they are able to easily decode. That helps with fluency.

I didn't see any handwriting instruction for any of them. I like Getty-Dubay Italics. It transitions very easily into their form of cursive...the letter shapes don't change completely.

I've never been able to find a all in one Language Arts program that I like so all of my LA is pieced together. I'll just list what I am using now that I am very happy with.

English - Rod & Staff for all.

Writing - WWE for dd7, R&S and SWB's lectures for dd11 and dd12 (although I have had a long time love affair with Classical Writing and it's getting harder and harder to resist.:tongue_smilie:)

Spelling - Megawords for dd11. dd12 is a natural speller so I don't need a program for her. dd7 seems to have a good handle on spelling from going through Phonics Pathways so I will probably use Megawords for her in a year or so.

Vocab - I am about to purchase Sadlier-Oxford vocab for dd11 and dd12.

Penmanship- Getty-Dubay Italics for dd7.

Literature- Up until now we have been using book lists from Ambleside.

After Christmas my older two will start Lighting Lit.

I'm not saying my picks are the best out there but maybe they will give you some other programs to look at. Hope this helps a little.

I use both AAS and Spelling Workout with my DS8 because the Spelling Workout is his main spelling program, whereas I use AAS just to help him with phonograms and correct letter sounds. However I don't really use it as a spelling program for him.

Yes, LLATL is doubling up! That's why I want to get rid of it, or else just use it for the reading/literary aspect. However, I don't think the literary aspect is that strong in LLATL.

I just want to make sure that FLL and WWE cover enough of the grammar for my 6 and 8 yr old. Also that Winston Grammar is enough for my 11 yr old - which I don't think it is. Oh and I forgot to add that I recently started my 11 yr old on Writing Strands to help with the writing aspect.

So I guess what I feel I'm lacking is more of the reading/literature part.

Any curriculum or suggestions on what to do there? I saw the Free Curriculum post with literary guides. Would that be sufficient for the reading/literature part?

Thanks for all the help! I will check out those suggestions.

Yes I forgot to add that we are doing Handwriting Without Tears for my 6 yr old and Handwriting Without Tears Cursive for my 8 yr old. My 11 yr old I just started with Writing Strands, although I'm not totally sold on this yet.

Thanks again!

I just want to make sure that FLL and WWE cover enough of the grammar for my 6 and 8 yr old.

So I guess what I feel I'm lacking is more of the reading/literature part.

Any curriculum or suggestions on what to do there? I saw the Free Curriculum post with literary guides. Would that be sufficient for the reading/literature part?

FLL and WWE are definitely enough for your younger children. As far as literacy, there are lots of websites that list good books for all levels of reading. I use a mix of Sonlight and Oak Meadow suggestions for readers, plus whatever we find at the library, and I compiled my own list for read-aloud books based on lists from SL, OM, Ambleside Online and this board. I don't specifically recall the Free Curriculum thread, but I'm sure it's plenty.

E were having the same issues last year, LA was a huge struggle for us! I got the k12 LA4 materials for my ds and have been thoroughly pleased with the complete package! The set came with spelling, composition, vocabulary, literature & language arts through grammar & mechanics programs plus all the readers, novels, non fiction works, etc that he would need throughout the year. I supplement with Horizon's menmanship & italics workbooks for handwriting practice. I feel like we really got the bang for our buck & will be sticking with k12 LA through highschool for my ds(9).

For my littles I won't be introducing grammar until 4th grade--it's just completely unnecessary before then, I don't feel they really undestand it any younger, and I feel like my ds has learned it SO easily now that he's ready for it. For the littles I plan on using McGuffey's readers for phonics/reading, maybe r&s spelling? I would like to start them in the vocabulary workshop workbooks like my ds is using this year--he's on level D but they start at a 1st grade level with those. Supplement with a handwriting curriculum (Im thinking Draw Write Now) & that's all they really need for LA in the younger years besides LOTS of reading from mom as well as independent reading.

If you look into k12, I ended up only spending about $120 for the LA materials instead of the $300 that wouldve included the online scheduling option. That online stuff was TOTALLY unecessary, IMO & just a waste of $$, so I just bought the materials & have planned everything out myself fairly easily. PM me if you have any questions! :)

My 7yr. old for LA is using Saxon Phonics and LLATL. Saxon Phonics is his main program but I wanted to add in LLATL (blue) for the literature and other fun stuff. With LLATL I am skipping some of the phonics because he gets that with Saxon Phonics.

My just turned 9yr. old is using Phonics Road, Victory Drill Book and Let's Read. PR included phonics, spelling, dictation, reading. I added in VDB for reading fluency.

My 11yr. is using LLATL (Purple), Intermediate Language Lessons and Saxon Grammar, Saxon Phonics Intervention for spelling and WWE. It looks like a lot but Saxon Grammar is her main grammar program 3xwk. LLATL and ILL is for copywork, dictation, picture studies, composition and narration. I pull from LLATL and ILL what I want from them.WWE 4xwk; I thought we needed a bit more guidance with our narration and dictation. We are actually having fun with this and I'm including it in our spelling session, so it's not an added subject for her but something we do together.

Dd 8: CLE LA (which includes grammar, spelling and penmanship) and WT1 We also use MCT Grammar Island materials in a supplementary way. My dd is a little writer and has had a love for language and words since she was a wee one. MCT inspires that creative side of her. I love the materials, too...but choose to use them this way instead of as our complete LA.

I'm trying to keep it super simple this year...

For ds, age 9, 4th grade:

Intermediate Language Lessons

Happy Scribe copybooks for cursive, off and on

Journaling when he feels like it

Lots of reading

For dd, age 7.5, 2nd grade:

She's a struggling/late reader, so we're really focused on phonics. I have her doing a mishmash of the below to address various learning styles (audio, hands-on, visual)

Explode the Code

The Reading Lesson

Starfall, Progressive Phonics

And I read aloud to her a lot

For both

Once a week I read a chapter from GrammarLand, and then we do the worksheets another blogger came up with. Ds does them on his own, dd narrates her answers to me.