Menu

Physics - Science, Math, or both?

Physics is a science for which mathematics is used as a tool.

Physics is not math. You can't "choose" to make it math.

Saxon has it as the math available after Calculus. This is what confused me. We will have it in Science for 12th grade, but then I thought they might need a math credit in it too, since Saxon has it as a math. :confused:

Saxon has it as the math available after Calculus. This is what confused me. We will have it in Science for 12th grade, but then I thought they might need a math credit in it too, since Saxon has it as a math. :confused:

Saxon doesn't have it 'as a math' -- it's listed on the math page for saxon homeschool because it's the only science that saxon offers. If you look at the description, it says that you only need algebra 2. It's just listed below calculus because it's not a math course.

DH was taught Physics mathematically. We have always had this argument. In my High School, it was an upper-level Science, but he was taught it as an advanced mathematics course. When I saw it listed after calculus I assumed there must, indeed, be an advanced mathematics course expanding on the math you need for Physics. But if this isn't what Saxon is offering, then I suppose we don't need two Science courses in 12th grade.

Thanks for the clarification

Saxon doesn't have it 'as a math' -- it's listed on the math page for saxon homeschool because it's the only science that saxon offers. If you look at the description, it says that you only need algebra 2. It's just listed below calculus because it's not a math course.

Actually, it doesn't call it a Science anywhere. Read it again. I did a little research and in my husband's home state (WA) and probably other States, Physics can count for an upper level math credit. This makes it "a math". I even googled this and many colleges will accept it as the third High School Math as long as you are not also using it as your Science. Meaning that you can expound on different Sciences and choose to take Physics as your math credit. It only makes sense since Physics is 60% applied mathematics. I guess DH isn't crazy afterall, his HS did offer it "as a math".

Actually, it doesn't call it a Science anywhere. Read it again.

Just because they don't call it a science doesn't make it 'not a science course'.

If you wanted to call it a math class, you probably could. It does have a lot of mathematical content. It's rarely, however, considered a math course. Some universities may not count it as a math course for college admission. You should probably check with them for this. You should definitely *not* give both math credit and science credit for senior-year physics, unless you chose to give .5 of each. Completing two physics curricula (saxon and bju) will not make it worth two credits of material.

Just because they don't call it a science doesn't make it 'not a science course'.

If you wanted to call it a math class, you probably could. It does have a lot of mathematical content. It's rarely, however, considered a math course. Some universities may not count it as a math course for college admission. You should probably check with them for this. You should definitely *not* give both math credit and science credit for senior-year physics, unless you chose to give .5 of each. Completing two physics curricula (saxon and bju) will not make it worth two credits of material.

This is what I was thinking. If I use BJU Physics for Science and then use it for Saxon for Math it (a) may not be accepted by all Universities as a math course (b) might look like I am trying to give a full credit in both subjects for the same textbook, even if I have two.

This matters to me right now because I have the decision to either use Algebra 1/2 next year or skip it. If I skip it, it places her in Physics in 12th. If I don't skip 1/2, it places her in Calculus in 12th.

This has been a huge help to figure out our math plan.

I put this out here to double check and make sure that something hadn't changed in the system, creating a Physics math that is necessary. Because we aren't near High School yet, I am just not sure what has changed since I was there :tongue_smilie:

I hope this makes sense.

If you work on Saxon year round, you can complete all the Saxon books by 11th grade, even with a late starter. Two books per year at one lesson per day. 5 lessons during the week and a test on Saturday. That leaves 12th for physics and practicing the ACT and SAT.

I am unclear about this. If we use BJU Science, DD will have Physics in 12th grade. With Saxon, I would like her to have Physics in 12th too. Is that okay? Am I supposed to choose to have it as a math or science and not both?

Either plan to do Physics Algebra-based, or Physics Calculus-based (that is, before or after Calculus), and use the appropriate text for it at whatever level it's taught. Do NOT use both a Saxon Physics and BJU Physics concurrently. (Personally, I'd use neither one...Giancoli has a great Physics text for a senior who has had sufficient math and a strong science background.)

My 2 cents,

Lori

This is what I was thinking. If I use BJU Physics for Science and then use it for Saxon for Math it (a) may not be accepted by all Universities as a math course (b) might look like I am trying to give a full credit in both subjects for the same textbook, even if I have two.

This matters to me right now because I have the decision to either use Algebra 1/2 next year or skip it. If I skip it, it places her in Physics in 12th. If I don't skip 1/2, it places her in Calculus in 12th.

This has been a huge help to figure out our math plan.

I put this out here to double check and make sure that something hadn't changed in the system, creating a Physics math that is necessary. Because we aren't near High School yet, I am just not sure what has changed since I was there :tongue_smilie:

I hope this makes sense.

Ahhh. With the further information, I understand your query more.

If she completes calculus as a junior, doing saxon's physics would be a step down for her (jmo) as it only requires algebra 2. Other options could include:

statistics (saxon doesn't offer, but it's offered online or some people self-study)

calc 3 through a university or online

computer science through a university, online, or through self-study something off-the-wall like discrete math, linear algebra, etc.

a more theoretical "honors" calculus course through a university or online

For physics, if she has calculus as a junior she'd be well-placed to do calc-based physics her senior year, which would review and extend her knowledge of calculus.

Thank you for the input. It seems silly to ask such questions for a 6th grader, but I don't want to make the wrong decision for her for 7th grade (which we begin in May) and then regret it down the line.

BJU is algebra based physics, isn't it? This dd is my oldest and I feel like I know so little about the upper grade level choices :confused: It is making my head hurt trying to figure out how to set her up for the most success in High School. She is very mathematically oriented. I am not a math person, but she just thinks that way and it seems to come easy to her. Being the opposite, I feel lost making these decisions.

I guess I may need to wait a few months and just watch her really close and really think about whether to skip Algebra 1/2. She is currently in Saxon 8/7 with pre-algebra. I.hate.decisions.:( Thanks for the help.