Menu

Anyone's kids play competitive chess?

Just curious. My elementary age kids play in tournaments - just started the day long tournaments. One is a natural at it, one plays anyway and I'm sure it is good for her brain development. Do you have any recommendations to improve their play?

Chess.com is the best recommendation I can give. All three of mine play on our school's team - my oldest, now in college, plans to start a competitive team there if he can. Their chess coach at our high school gave us the chess.com recommendation and it's been superb.

On that site there are different groups that can be joined (groups are moderated, but join with supervision for younger kids). There are also tutorials, chess "puzzles" to be worked out, and you can play delayed or live games with people all over the world with players of similar caliber. Many of those who are higher ranked enjoy assisting the younger/more beginner-type players.

I can't say enough good about that site when it comes to chess. My boys have improved tremendously. I can see why their coach recommended it! (The whole team is on.)

Thanks for that recommendation! I don't play well enough to help my 10yo who really wants to advance his skill...and this will be perfect!

No problem - it's a great site IMO. If you need any assistance, see if you can send a message to either SNPROOK* (my oldest son) or SJPDNA* (my middle son). They've helped some newcomers before via the messaging system. In general, the site isn't difficult to navigate though.

* I THINK I have their screen names correct. It's been a while since I looked over their shoulders on that site. If those don't work and you want assistance, send me a message and I'll check with them when I get home.

I second Chess.com. My kids both play tournament chess. They LOVE that site. Dh uses it to teach a group of kids, too. I guess the coolest thing about this site is that in order to get better at the game, you simply have to play a lot, and this site gives 24 hr access to that :-) Since my kids are pretty young, I don't want to post their IDs on a public forum (there is email and chat available there, and I'm an over protective freak when it comes to the internet :blushing:), but you can certainly pm me and I will share them so our dc can "friend" one another.

There are some workbook type books that might be helpful. Two that come to mind are Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess and The Chess Tactics Workbook . Also, my kids and dh both like the Everyman Chess books Concise Chess Endings, Concise Chess Openings and Concise Chess Middlegames.

If you need any assistance, see if you can send a message to either SNPROOK* (my oldest son) or SJPDNA* (my middle son). They've helped some newcomers before via the messaging system. In general, the site isn't difficult to navigate though..

I can vouch that SNPROOK was very kind to my son. Thumbs up!!!

Sorry to hijack, but I am looking for suggestions on how to start learning chess. I have an idea that my almost 7 yo might be good at it, but I know I am not. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks so much!

Chess.com has a sister site for kids under 13 called chesskids.com. They also have a ton of educational stuff there. Another thing you might consider is looking for a local scholastic group/team - the ones here are pretty open to homeschoolers. There is a lot of instruction for newbies offered at those clubs.

Sorry to hijack, but I am looking for suggestions on how to start learning chess. I have an idea that my almost 7 yo might be good at it, but I know I am not. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks so much!

For pure starting I'd look for someone with any knowledge of the game and pick up a board and play. Once you know the pure basics, then the online versions or club play can be fun for increasing skills. It might be very overwhelming to start online or in a club where it seems that everyone else knows what they are doing.

Is there a relative? A church member? Someone in a homeschooling group? All you need is someone with the basics and a board - no strategy needed in the beginning. Play for fun. Then add strategy via clubs and the net.

For pure starting I'd look for someone with any knowledge of the game and pick up a board and play. Once you know the pure basics, then the online versions or club play can be fun for increasing skills. It might be very overwhelming to start online or in a club where it seems that everyone else knows what they are doing.

Is there a relative? A church member? Someone in a homeschooling group? All you need is someone with the basics and a board - no strategy needed in the beginning. Play for fun. Then add strategy via clubs and the net.

Thanks! We will check it out. Sadly, dh is the only one i know, but i'm not sure that's a realistic option with 2 other little ones tugging on him. ;-) There is a 'club' at the library, but I think she needs some basics before joining.

Thanks again!