Menu

TOG co-op needs suggestions for UG/D

bethben

We have recently split our TOG co-op into different groups - a couple of LG groups a UG/D group. The kids are bored and two families (out of three) are considering dropping because it's not contributing to their learning and is a waste of time. Any suggestions? We try to have a review, kids presenting information, and an activity. Does it have to do with the age of the kids (9-11 year olds) Do we just drop the history component and try for a thing like debate club or writing club?

Beth

I am involved with a TOG co-op that has enough students to have groups for each level (we have 14 in our upper grammar group alone :tongue_smilie:) This is what we do in each group:

Lower Grammar: People and/or Student Thread topics covered via lapbooking or notebooking pages.

Upper Grammar: discussion, people card bank (flash cards), notebooking pages

Dialectic: Weekly socratic discussion, timeline book and people card bank (flash cards)

Rhetoric: Weekly socratic discussion, various writing assignments, end of the unit exam

Lower grammar-dialectic also do various hands-on project. Our dialectic class is making the Royal Game of Ur this week.

We have a multi-level TOG co-op, and we've had some kids bored from time to time. I think there have been many different reasons: students in a level that is too "young" for them, teachers who plan too little OR too much, students who don't want to do the work, students who have no classroom skills, students who do not prepare for class.

We have found that things go much better when all the mom's meet and share their hopes and goals for each unit; even if they will be teaching another level, moms want input in their dc's classes. Sometimes talking through each unit will help teachers anticipate how each class will respond to an activity.

Here's what we are doing this year:

LG: mapwork with pre-printed labels, storytime, activity, memory work

UG: working on a skit for unit celebration, weekly mini-presentations, learning a dance, memory work, mapwork.

D: Class follows discussion outline, there are two tests, and one formal presentation from each student.

R- Discussion outlines, formal presentations, tests, essays.

As you can see from above, some students may judge the Dialectic and Rhetoric classes to be "boring", but that may or may not be a mature judgement of the situation. As homeschool parents, we've decided that the discussions are valuable, so that is how we conduct the class. Interestingly, all of the students who moved up to D level this year prefer the discussions over the activities. I guess it comes with the age.

Over the years we have learned that we function better when the classes lighten the mom's load rather than add to it. That's why we do the LG and UG mapwork in class. We know what the LG teacher will be reading, so we can read other things at home. Try to make sure your co-op is making life easier for everyone, and not adding to their burden, and the families will find a way to make it work.

• 1 year later...
I am involved with a TOG co-op that has enough students to have groups for each level (we have 14 in our upper grammar group alone :tongue_smilie:) This is what we do in each group:

Lower Grammar: People and/or Student Thread topics covered via lapbooking or notebooking pages.

Upper Grammar: discussion, people card bank (flash cards), notebooking pages

Dialectic: Weekly socratic discussion, timeline book and people card bank (flash cards)

Rhetoric: Weekly socratic discussion, various writing assignments, end of the unit exam

Lower grammar-dialectic also do various hands-on project. Our dialectic class is making the Royal Game of Ur this week.

This is a very, very old post. I am resurrecting it in order to ask questions about what you've written. What are the people card bank (flash cards) you are speaking of? I'm in a co-op and would like to come up with a few new things. Could you explain? Are the ideas anywhere in the teacher's notes? Do you just keep them in an index card box? I realize this is pretty old and I may not get an answer. I just wanted to give it a shot. Thanks!!