Menu

I See Sam- short vowel/long vowel ?

Soror

I am using ISS w/ my 6 y.o. who I have suspected of dyslexia. He is progressing well through ISS and is now at Book 20(we started in July but took off the mnth of Aug).

We now have got to the point of different vowel sounds and I am confused as to what I should do. I know I am supposed to keep the instruction simple. However, in what way do I explain to him the reason why the sound is different in different words. Without having a reason it seems it is just encouraging him to memorize words certain ways.

Also, I am wondering do others use just ISS? Seems that from what I have read most use it on it's own but I am wondering. It also seems general consensus is to start spelling after 2-3 sets- does anyone have any other ideas for me? I don't want him to end up confused or memorizing anything. I want to make sure he learns it correctly. I am also curious as to when others start grammar, it seems it generally is started at 1-3 grade in this area he is solidly at the K level- wondering other's opinions on this as well, in case I have missed something.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or opinions!

Edited by soror

Good job! Getting to book 20 means you have crossed some speed bumps. With the kids I tutor, I generally see a huge improvement in blending ability after about book 16. You should have already gradually introduced/taught all the "short" vowel sounds plus /th/ and the long e sound at the end of several short words(me, we) along with /ee/ (see, feet, meet).

I'm not understanding your question exactly~ are you saying your dc is still confused on the vowel sounds within the words? For the me, we, she, be words I just tell the kids that the sound is e (as in its name) at the end of the little short words. They get it just fine.

I'd start spelling now. Just use the words from the books. If you have tiles (or you could print some off and cut them up), you can make it multisensory by having him move them around. You can have him build the word "mat" then tell him to change it to "mit", and keep changing a letter/sound and making different words. Then, you can move it over onto paper when he's ready. You might want to do nonsense words with it, too. It is a lot of fun for the kids to write the character's names and draw pictures of them. You could combine this with dictating short sentences such as "Sam is mad" and letting your dc write it and then draw a picture. Just make sure you only use the letter sounds that your child is secure on, to minimize confusion.

HTH!

Thanks so much for the spelling and dictation ideas, I didn't know where to go w/ the limited sounds he know, but those are great ideas.

As to the sounds, I mean know that we have introduced a new sound for e how do I let him know when that he is supposed to recognize that it is one sound versus the other, if he is supposed to sound it out? Does that make sense? I have done thus far the sound in this word is eeee or eh but as I said it seems to encourage sight reading a bit- I guess. I am new to this teaching reading! Also, he still guesses, not only and sometimes worse than others but still yet. As I notice we recently had fell and fit- he would guess or the other randomly- he can sound them out but if he has new words he seems to randomly guess them. Then he gets into his head whatever the new words are and if he comes to one he doesn't automatically recognize then he asks is it a new word- as then he remembers which ones to guess. He can sound it out as I said just doesn't always want to- this has been his only reading instruction.

I wrote a long post last night but it didn't show up.

I am the QUEEN of I See Sam and Apples and Pears.

What you are saying about your son is VERY typical. I would go to http://www.3rsplus.com and look at the resources, articles, etc. They have some games, ideas on what to do when you reach some bumps in the road, etc. There is also a yahoo group at called Beginning Reading Instruction that is very helpful.

For e, the ee says the long sound, e at the end of a short word is the long sound and in the middle is short. The spelling and dictation will help with this. Dick from the 3rs plus site has a spelling program that is easy to use and goes right with it. It is basically word lists. Once you are a bit farther along, then do the Apples and Pears where you get dictation, some grammar, etc.

When he starts guessing (and maybe all of the time right now) use the cursor or notched card---basically cut a notch out of a 3x5 card and you just show them 1 letter/sound combo at a time so he can't guess at the word but rather say the sounds in order and blend them into the word. This is VERY common (but something to stop) as young kids try the short cuts and if guessing works and they can get away with it, they will.

To work on fluency, you can have him go back and read book 1 again, then 2, etc. --maybe one of them a day while you keep moving forward. You can then show him that even though those books were hard then, they are easy now........and while this new stuff is hard now, it will get easier.

Ok, let me read this over and think some on it. I was looking at the SPELL program and I understand it that it has a program that accompanies all the levels and how with the program it works to make sure that they are learning to apply the rules to all words not just the ones in the books. That is one thing I am concerned about. However, I don't want to make this overly complicated being that LA are not my strong suite I just feel lost though.

I need to make another cursor he did well at first but then goes back and forth on guessing. He can always sound it out when I make him, he just doesn't always pick that as his first strategy.

I am using ISS w/ my 6 y.o. who I have suspected of dyslexia. He is progressing well through ISS and is now at Book 20(we started in July but took off the mnth of Aug).

I love the I See Sam books as reading practice for fluency, but for dyslexic students I would look for something more multi-sensory. In your case I would consider All About Spelling. The focus is spelling, but it is one of the cheapest o/g type program out there, and you have the I See Sam books for reading practice.

Heather

I have wondered about the AAS vs Apples and Pears. He is certainly not diagnosed but seems to fit some checklists. For the AAS though I worry will it be confusing with ISS and push him faster than where he is with it? I am a newbie and have never done spelling program before so I am clueless.

I have wondered about the AAS vs Apples and Pears. He is certainly not diagnosed but seems to fit some checklists. For the AAS though I worry will it be confusing with ISS and push him faster than where he is with it? I am a newbie and have never done spelling program before so I am clueless.

The only reason why I haven't tried Apples and Pears is because I don't think it really teaches base word spelling rules, but that is just from reading threads on it. Like when to use c or K in a word, or when to use CK at the end of a word to spell the k sound. In my mind I would use A&P after covering spelling rules, because I really like the approach of working on pre-fixes, root words and suffiexs with their meanings.

But that is me, spelling is my struggling point (I am dyslexic), and I don't naturally see words in my mind, thus have a poor visual memory. I need to learn how to spell the root words first and I can't rely on the "does it look right" concept.

For my kids I am doing Seeing Stars (SS) for those who like me don't naturally see words in their minds. My oldest is a great speller, because she can think of a word and spell it from what she sees in her head. I can't because I can't even see words in my head. Seeing Stars teaches that ability. Then with SS (for those who need it) I am doing AAS, and after that I would like to do a spelling review/vocab with an approach like Apples and Pears. Right now I am liking the look of the Dynamic Literacy that is being talked about on the k-8 board, but really I need to get into the samples and see what is the same and what is different in each. I have always loved dictation and I know A&P has dictation, but I am afraid that the beginning levels would be way to easy. I need to find out if Dynamic Literacy has dictation.

With ISS you can always go back to the beginning and start over. I know it is somewhat defeating mentally, but it helps with fluency. Once he sees how much easier it is for him to do now it might give him a second wind. There are a certain amount of children who would find doing both SSI and AAS confusing. But given most the sounds AAS covers at first will be review it would probably be fine. Level 1 only covers a few sounds outside short vowels and consonants, like th, ng and ck. The very last lesson of level 1 is long vowel sounds, and EE isn't covered till level 2. In some ways it would take a while to catch up to SSI.

Heather

Thanks for the thoughts on all of this, it is a lot of help. It probably would him his confidence and his fluency to do review w/ the starter books. Thanks for the info on the AAS levels and such, that is helpful. He was spelling some the other day on his own and seemed to do ok w/ some basic spelling- he could spell his friend Sara's name although we haven't went over r's yet. He does like hands-on and moving around it is a bit of a challenge for him to sit still w/ ISS but he manages it and is progressing.

Thanks for the thoughts on all of this, it is a lot of help. It probably would him his confidence and his fluency to do review w/ the starter books. Thanks for the info on the AAS levels and such, that is helpful. He was spelling some the other day on his own and seemed to do ok w/ some basic spelling- he could spell his friend Sara's name although we haven't went over r's yet. He does like hands-on and moving around it is a bit of a challenge for him to sit still w/ ISS but he manages it and is progressing.

Dyslexic students are often hands on and wiggly, but the reason for using multi-sensory programs is actually for the processing/recall problems. The brain stores each sense in a different part of the brain. If you are having a processing problem and can't recall the information because one pathway is blocked you might be able to use one of the other pathways to still retrieve the information.

When reading I use taps for sounding out individual letters (tap below each letter) and a slow U to indicate blending slowly and a fast pass under the word to indicate reading at normal pace. The reason why is the physical movement helps my ds focus, and it make the process multi-sensory. These are processing used in Barton Reading and other program, but can be applied to just about any sounding out situation.

I also love the ISS notched card idea, are you using that? That did worlds of good for my 3rd dd.

Heather

We used a card at first but he hates it so I let him not use it until he starts guessing then we start it back. I will try the tapping to see how that works. As I said he can usually sound things out he just likes to guess. Now, I do recall reading a previous posts of yours about how doing things physically stores the information in different parts, so perhaps switching some things up and working on some more hands-on things w/ the sounds he is working on would be helpful. I was stuck in the mode of doing just the ISS because on the email list it is pretty strictly against doing anything expect just the books. However, I think perhaps it might be helpful to him to add in some of the other things. Perhaps, it would help him progress a bit faster and easier as well.

I would think teaching spelling alongside ISS is a great idea and will reinforce the reading. You mentioned the email list is against anything but the books. The reason for that is to minimize confusion. Many of us work with confused ps kiddos and they are getting multiple methods literally thrown at them (predictable readers, etc.) and many get confused when too many sounds are introduced at a time. It really takes away the careful sequencing of the program. Does that make sense? So, from my point of view, I don't like to add any other reading material, but I'm 100% for incorporating spelling right alongside it. I'd do dictation of words first, and then sentences. Or, as Heather says, you could do AAS (I've never seen it, but Heather is usually spot-on).

About the notched card: I've had many students hate it, so they know that I'll get it back out if they start guessing again. That usually stops them. Or, some kids will request I get it back out because they realize it helps them. With my own ds (probably mildly dyslexic), when he got sloppy and started guessing I had to make a deal that he either had to read the page over OR the entire book if it was short. I did this because there was no doubt he had the ability, but was being sloppy.

Another thing that I've learned from helping lots of beginners is to have them re-read the book. Although it seems hard to make them do it, they are almost always better the second time. Plus, it is a research-proven way to increase fluency.

I use the progress monitoring materials(free) on the ISS website and I find that giving the short quizzes after 6 (or so) books really makes me accountable to doing a good job of teaching. If they make too many mistakes, we have to go back and read the previous books. After that happens, you can be sure that I am better at correcting errors so that we'll pass the next time. I hate going back worse than the kids.

HTH

I would think teaching spelling alongside ISS is a great idea and will reinforce the reading. You mentioned the email list is against anything but the books. The reason for that is to minimize confusion. Many of us work with confused ps kiddos and they are getting multiple methods literally thrown at them (predictable readers, etc.) and many get confused when too many sounds are introduced at a time. It really takes away the careful sequencing of the program. Does that make sense?

This is a VERY good point. This is why I (personally) would stay away from multisensory programs, ones with lots of "extras" as it just clutters up the instruction. Reading is saying the sounds and blending them into the word.

I just know that short and simple really worked here. Just to let you know how difficult this was for my daughter in the beginning, she took a week per book in the beginning---yes, 1 week to learn the 3 words in the first book and then a week for each new book. It took us WEEKS to master the word *I* She could tell me its letter name but not read it as a word :glare:

We got through about set 3 and she has seizure issues and lost EVERYTHING and then we had to go back and start over. Hers was a VERY VERY long road to learn to read but now, even with ADD, LDs, and an IQ of 38, she can read at a 3rd grade level (which is above her speaking level).

I would think teaching spelling alongside ISS is a great idea and will reinforce the reading. You mentioned the email list is against anything but the books. The reason for that is to minimize confusion. Many of us work with confused ps kiddos and they are getting multiple methods literally thrown at them (predictable readers, etc.) and many get confused when too many sounds are introduced at a time. It really takes away the careful sequencing of the program. Does that make sense? So, from my point of view, I don't like to add any other reading material, but I'm 100% for incorporating spelling right alongside it. I'd do dictation of words first, and then sentences. Or, as Heather says, you could do AAS (I've never seen it, but Heather is usually spot-on).

I don't know I have been second guessing myself a lot with the whole Barton thing. :D

The only reason why I think it would probably work is because it should all be review. My oldest two did fine with multiple items as long as all the secondary stuff was review. Right now my 3rd dd is also doing the ARI books, the BRI books (for fluency) and AAS, but two of those are review and she has figured out enough to actually be reading ahead of the program now (at about a 7th grade level). When I do introduce a secondary program I try to always make sure the stuff it is material that is already mastered.

I printed out the ISS sequence from the link below and the only red flag I see is that I am not finding where CK is covered. Though neither can I see it not being part of the BRI set, so maybe it just doesn't list it? Level 1 spends most of the time on phonemic awareness, and basic CVC words. Here is the scope and sequence of level 1. The ng and nk sounds can be sounded out, that goes to the units thing that o/g programs tend to do. Actually now that I look at more of the fine points it might be better to wait till the Tween books. CH is in set 5, and plurals are covered at the end of level 1, and aren't those covered in the tween books?

BTW I have officially given up on Barton, as of about 6:00 pm tonight. Not on o/g I still love o/g I just don't like specific issues in the Barton version. Like the spelling I mentioned before, or the instances that they tap the vowels, do the slow blend and fast blend even IF they knew the word right off, instance that they use the B/D/NOT every time they see one of the letters, even if they get it right without it.

This insistence on perfection is going to drive my ds crazy. I am sure it will drive many of these problems from dyslexic students, but at what cost? At this point I have my three oldest able to see it themselves 99% of the time and self correct, without all that pain. Good enough for me.

I also sill think they introduce too many sounds too quickly. The Sonlight LA I used for all the girls coves one new sound a week, and only starts making words when the first vowel is introduced in week 6. My girls never confused vowel sounds, but they also didn't introduce another vowel for 5 weeks. Overall Barton just isn't spending time on what I want to spend time on, and instead spends it on things that frustrate both ds and myself.

Though that said Barton did solve some problems we were having with Sonlight before I switched. All of here need something to do with our hands. If I don't give my kids something to do with their hands they will grab something off their desk. If I remove everything from their desk they will tap on or pick at the desk. If you give them something to do they can focus better, especially if what they are doing pertains to what they are studying. The movements in Barton were revolutionary for my ds and being able to focus and blend.

I personally am the same way. If I try to go to church and just listen to the pastor my mind will run away with me, noticing everything I look at. It is like I have no stop button. If I instead work on copying down some of the verses we are studying I can focus on every word he says. Now I wouldn't want to vouch for the spelling or accuracy of what I am copying, because my mind is really on what is being said, but somehow it helps me hear to do both at once. My kids are the same way. They do better if they do something constructive while they listen, and the more it ties into what we are learning the better.

The tapping of vowels is also helping, but I don't think he would need it if we weren't going so quickly, and the B/D/Not has helped him to be able to self check-as long as you don't insist he use it. Once you do that he won't use it just to spite you and I don't know where he gets that rebellious steak :Angel_anim:, ahem. :D

Thus my current plan is to go back to Sonlight LA K pick up where we left off right after introducing short a and continue on, but keep the Barton methods that were working. I will still watch the Barton Videos to glean any other possible helps, and I have been told the Wilson overview is equally as good for giving a big picture from which you can glean parts to use for yourself, so I will also order that. But I am going to stick with what I know and just modify it. I feel like an old dog that doesn't want to learn new tricks, though that isn't entirely true because I did, just not buying the whole ball of wax.

Heather

Thanks so much for the spelling and dictation ideas, I didn't know where to go w/ the limited sounds he know, but those are great ideas.

As to the sounds, I mean know that we have introduced a new sound for e how do I let him know when that he is supposed to recognize that it is one sound versus the other, if he is supposed to sound it out? Does that make sense? I have done thus far the sound in this word is eeee or eh but as I said it seems to encourage sight reading a bit- I guess. I am new to this teaching reading! Also, he still guesses, not only and sometimes worse than others but still yet. As I notice we recently had fell and fit- he would guess or the other randomly- he can sound them out but if he has new words he seems to randomly guess them. Then he gets into his head whatever the new words are and if he comes to one he doesn't automatically recognize then he asks is it a new word- as then he remembers which ones to guess. He can sound it out as I said just doesn't always want to- this has been his only reading instruction.

I just ordered Barton level 4 because my dd is nearly finished with level 3. I was looking at the manual and saw that it introduces these as open syllables; that is why the vowel is long. Maybe you could google syllabication rules and work that information into your explanation.

BTW I have officially given up on Barton, as of about 6:00 pm tonight. Not on o/g I still love o/g I just don't like specific issues in the Barton version. Like the spelling I mentioned before, or the instances that they tap the vowels, do the slow blend and fast blend even IF they knew the word right off, instance that they use the B/D/NOT every time they see one of the letters, even if they get it right without it.

Heather

FYI. They only have to do the B/D/NOT check long enough to be certain those sounds have been mastered. My dd didn't like doing it every time either, but then she'd say the wrong sound. I could then step in and tell her to do the check after she made a mistake, but if she depends on me to tell her when she makes a mistake, she won't build independence. Anyway, if you're certain your son has mastered those sounds, don't make him do the checks any more.

Same thing with finger-spelling. She doesn't like it, but I make her do it anyway because she spells better when she uses it. However, sometimes I hold up my fingers rather than making her hold hers up. And we've just reached the point where the book says to use finger-spelling if you don't know the word, but if you do know how to spell the word, just write it. IOW, the technique is used to build mastery, then dropped; but it's a tool the student has used enough that they can pull it out and use it again when needed.

Remember that Barton is scripted to make O/G easy for people like me who can't or don't want to use OG info to make their own lessons. :D But it's still a tool that you can change to fit your needs. Don't tell Susan, but I let my dd read books that are not on the approved reading lists. :D

I think I will get AAS if I can find it used. I will however be on the lookout for making sure we just introduce sounds that we have already done. For him and his learning style I think it would be helpful to approach the sounds in different ways. I have seen the light go on w/ RS Math and the multi-sensory approach there. I think he would really benefit from the letter tiles. I think it likely depends on the student and why they are struggling. Although, to be honest he hasn't had any other reader instruction except ISS. I just know before I thought he had to know the alphabet first and he could not learn that for anything.

I just ordered Barton level 4 because my dd is nearly finished with level 3. I was looking at the manual and saw that it introduces these as open syllables; that is why the vowel is long. Maybe you could google syllabication rules and work that information into your explanation.

Oh, thanks so much. It just doesn't make sense to me to not give him some rules. Heck, I was trying to think why is it that the sound is this one place and different someplace else. I surely don't remember if I ever did know.

FYI. They only have to do the B/D/NOT check long enough to be certain those sounds have been mastered. My dd didn't like doing it every time either, but then she'd say the wrong sound. I could then step in and tell her to do the check after she made a mistake, but if she depends on me to tell her when she makes a mistake, she won't build independence. Anyway, if you're certain your son has mastered those sounds, don't make him do the checks any more.

He doesn't have it mastered, but he only makes the mistake about 10% of the time. He does use it on his own, when he is unsure, but the problem is that he doesn't always realize he is making the mistake. If I make him use it every time he is in tears and will refuse to use it till I make him. I just don't want him to quit self checking because of his rebellious streak. BTW we just started the second section, so it isn't like we are very far into it. But I do think it is moving too fast for him.

Same thing with finger-spelling. She doesn't like it, but I make her do it anyway because she spells better when she uses it. However, sometimes I hold up my fingers rather than making her hold hers up. And we've just reached the point where the book says to use finger-spelling if you don't know the word, but if you do know how to spell the word, just write it. IOW, the technique is used to build mastery, then dropped; but it's a tool the student has used enough that they can pull it out and use it again when needed.

Here is the funny thing. He always does the finger spelling correctly but rarely does he spell it right when he goes to put it in paper. In fact over half the time, by the time he has done a B/D check he has forgotten the word entirely and we have to start over. On the other hand if I just give him the word he spelled all but one right on the first try.

I also ended up modifying level 1, because ds has auditory problems. He has gone through LiPS, but this is such a struggle area and he again was in tears almost daily. I moved on to level 2 despite his not passing level 1, but have continued to do 3 of the breaks, change or comparisons a day. This is another go figure. Since we have slowed it down and only do a few a day he is doing beautifully. It is almost like it is so much work for him to do, that he just becomes overwhelmed and shuts down (he starts yawning very quickly). Slow it down and he does fine.

That is a big part of why I am going back to Sonlight K at this point. It only introduces one sound a week and only has them read or spell 4 words at a time. At this point guessing is not an issue at all, he can't read well enough to guess, so I am not worried about the lack of nonsense words. He just needs to go slower and be successful. I would honestly just take 6 months off and wait to teach him to read, except he has a good memory and is memorizing words. That is not a road I want to go down, KWIM.

The good thing is my friend is allowing me to keep her Barton (the first 4 levels) till I am sure I am done with them, so if at some time I feel the need to go back to it, I can.

Remember that Barton is scripted to make O/G easy for people like me who can't or don't want to use OG info to make their own lessons. :D But it's still a tool that you can change to fit your needs. Don't tell Susan, but I let my dd read books that are not on the approved reading lists. :D

I won't tell. :D

I really do respect what Susan has created. I just think DS is only mildly dyslexic with additional auditory processing problems that are probably due to hearing too well and not being able to filter. It just isn't the best of fits for ds right now.

Well, we had a breakdown last night. No, I haven't added anything new. I think perhaps it is all the new stuff and he got to a breaking point. He was doing book 21, we made it through but he kept reading words entirely backward, which he hadn't had an issue w/ since starting ISS. There was a comprehension test at the end and he certainly didn't pass. I think we are going to spend this week in review.

Also, we had the word 'what'. Now, I guess I missed the part when it tells me that I am supposed to introduce a new sound for 'a' as he wants to pronounce it 'wat'. Of course even with knowing that in which context is he to know to use that sound? This is going back to my initial frustration, how the heck are they supposed to know where all to apply the varying sounds without giving them that information. Looking at the last book again, it looks like I was supposed to introduce it as a sight word, I think? I will have to read the instructions again. UGH.

Anyway, review this week and give his brain time to absorb all of this.

Anyone, else have that problem w/ the kiddo reverting back under stress? He was reading the words backwards, letters upside down and backward.

I only have a minute, but will come back later.

"What": I teach the kids to sound it out. They then say "what" (rhyming with cat, bat, sat). They look at me confusued and I say , "with that word, when we say it fast, we change it. For a couple of books, they sometimes sound it out "what" (again, rhyme with cat), and I say, "but we say?" And, they go "whut." They think it is funny. Even my absolute lowest tutee "gets this." This is easier on the memory than telling them this word has the ___ sound for the a. Before long, they see "what" and say "whut" every time with no pause.

You will get to the word "who" and I just tell them the word.

About the comprehension test: I'm assuming you printed these off free and the questions are pulled to the back of the book?

I''ll be back later......

Shay

Well, we had a breakdown last night. No, I haven't added anything new. I think perhaps it is all the new stuff and he got to a breaking point. He was doing book 21, we made it through but he kept reading words entirely backward, which he hadn't had an issue w/ since starting ISS. There was a comprehension test at the end and he certainly didn't pass. I think we are going to spend this week in review.

Generally when that happens it is hard for the child to correct unless they have some sort of re-set. The most common way I deal with it is have them start back at the beginning of the sentence. If needed I just give them the word, because it is almost impossible for the child to correct it on their own at that moment. I have been in this situation as an adult, knowing what you are saying is wrong, and trying to do it right, but until there is some sort of re-set (time, hearing the word or letting it go and staring the sentence over) it is pretty impossible to say right.

It also sounds like it could just have been a bad night. The intensity of the issues I have come and go randomly (though being tired will bring it on).

Heather

The only words that kids read backwards for me using ISS is the word "on" (they read it sometimes as "no"). Was this the case? Or are you saying your dc was reading many words backwards such as "fit" as "tif?" If that was the case, they were likely very confused at all the nonsense words.

Also, I use the same protocol for the word "was" as I use for "what." The kids get it.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about comprehension just yet. If your dc is enjoying the stories, they are getting it. I do alot of talking aloud about what is going on in the stories. One student takes Accelerated Reader quizzes on the books when we finish, and talking about what is going on helps her to pass. My advice is to make this enjoyable and an oral comprehension activity right now. This would be like: "What do you think Ed will do with all those cherries he picked?" Or, "Why do you think the ants got on Mat during his picnic?" Those kinds of things.

If so much effort is spent in decoding, it is hard to put any extra effort in comprehending. That will have to come along as decoding gets smoother and more effortless.

Spending a week reviewing may be perfect. Let your dc have a choice by picking favorites to read again.

He was reading several words backwards last night. As I said the odd thing is that it hasn't been too much of an issue w/ him since starting ISS. Here and there but nothing like that at all. Words that he has read before no problem many times. It was weird.

I misspoke on comprehension I meant the review sentences. Since he failed it said to go back 5-6 bks.

Perhaps, it was just a bad night and lots of things going on w/ learning. As I said I think we will spend the week reviewing, but today I am giving it a break. I have decided to take the rest of the week off from formal schooling as well. I think we all could use a break. Hopefully when we start back it will be better.

Shay- thanks for the thoughts on what and was. I remember reading about that now on the irregular words it is just the first it came up so I had forgot. That will likely help the confusion with that.

He was reading several words backwards last night. As I said the odd thing is that it hasn't been too much of an issue w/ him since starting ISS. Here and there but nothing like that at all. Words that he has read before no problem many times. It was weird.

I misspoke on comprehension I meant the review sentences. Since he failed it said to go back 5-6 bks.

I did not do this the first year I tutored, as it was discouraged on the yahoo group. However, I did use the progress monitoring the next year (and now) and find that it does help to require the mastery level indicated. The reason is you want the child around 95% proficient (mastery) on "old" stuff so that they aren't still grappling with old issues when the new sounds are introduced. With a rare exception, when we would go back 5-6 books, the kids passed it the next time. And, it made me be a better teacher at not letting mistakes slide by and accumulate. It is better to go back 5-6 books now than get frustrated later and then have to do that. (I think it bothers the adults more than the kids to go back).

Perhaps, it was just a bad night and lots of things going on w/ learning. As I said I think we will spend the week reviewing, but today I am giving it a break. I have decided to take the rest of the week off from formal schooling as well. I think we all could use a break. Hopefully when we start back it will be better.

Maybe it was a bad night. Perhaps you'll have to figure out the best time of day for him for reading and stick to that time.

Shay- thanks for the thoughts on what and was. I remember reading about that now on the irregular words it is just the first it came up so I had forgot. That will likely help the confusion with that.

HTH