Menu

Advice for Orlando Vacation

Okay... we have passes for 3 days to Disney, 2 day Universal pass, & 1 day Sea World.. our children are 16, 12, 10, 6, 5, 4... Need a plan for the various ages and how to make this work. Big boys want to do BIG rides ...little ones not ready for BIG rides... How do you make this work???

Divide and conquer for some of the time, one parent takes the bigs, one parent takes the littles. But the bigs will probably enjoy the stuff the littles do, just not the other way around. Maybe take the littles for a snack when the bigs are on some of the rides?

Wow! What a fun trip!!!!! That's a lot of kids and a lot of ages. Have you ever been to any of these places before?

I've only been to Disney (well, Universal too - but in CA). There is a lot to keep the big kids happy there between some bigger rides and shows. But, you'll be splitting up a lot as a family. We have to do this when we go too. The bigger kids go with dad and the littles go with mom. Works out fine for us as I'm not a big ride fan. But, we always make the olders ride a few rides with the littles so they can see the magic through their eyes - Small World, Barnstormer, Carousel, etc.

We stay at Windsor Hills. It's a condo/housing complex near Disney. You can rent anything from a 2 br condo to a 6 br house! Some have pools, some don't. You can cook all your own meals and do laundry there (in your unit). It's an awesome place! They have a HUGE pool and central meeting area with its own movie theater and arcade. If you want them to show a particular movie, they will!! And, it's free! We're going off season and getting a 3 br condo for $468/week!

So, I'd go to the same park the same days as a family, but split up at the actual parks. Get books about the individual parks so you can have a plan for both sets of people. The Unofficial Guide to Disney with Kids is AMAZING!!!

Not sure about your food plans, but if you find a place with a kitchen, you can plan to cook your own breakfasts and pack lunches, etc. Makes it much easier in the long run!

When are you going? We'll be at Windsor Hills from Jan 5 − 12. Then, we're staying on Disney property until the 16th. It'd be fun if we were there at the same time!!!

What time of year are you going? Are you going "on season" when the parks are open late? If so, I would bring the littles back to the hotel and settle them in with a special snack and a special movie with the big kids go back to the park to do the big rides at night when the lines are shorter.

When are you going? We'll be at Windsor Hills from Jan 5 − 12. Then, we're staying on Disney property until the 16th. It'd be fun if we were there at the same time!!!

Jennifer, are you running the WDW Marathon or Half?? :) The dates sort of correspond!

Thanks for the info on Windsor Hills! It sounds so awesome! I know it wasn't directed towards me but any time I can get info on a deal at Disney I'm all for it!

Jennifer, are you running the WDW Marathon or Half?? :) The dates sort of correspond!

Thanks for the info on Windsor Hills! It sounds so awesome! I know it wasn't directed towards me but any time I can get info on a deal at Disney I'm all for it!

Hi!!!! I'm going for the full this year!!! I'm SOOOO nervous! I ran a 12 mile last Sat and felt great, but can't imagine going 26 yet! I'm running the Detroit half on the 17th. Wish me luck! I just want to get a good time so that I can get a good corral at Disney for the start so that I have more time to finish!

Get this - at Disney - here are the races my family is running:

Dd4- 1 mile

ds 10 − 1 mile

ds 12 − 5K

ds14 - half marathon

dh - half marathon

me - full

sister - GOOFY!!!!!!!! ACK!!!!

My sis is running the full in Detroit. She's an athlete, so she'll do well. I just hope I beat her in the full! (Being that she'll have run the half the day before!!!!)

Are you going for the coast to coast medal????? I saw the the DL half is in Sept. I'll be in AZ then, so I'm considering it!!!!

Hi!!!! I'm going for the full this year!!! I'm SOOOO nervous! I ran a 12 mile last Sat and felt great, but can't imagine going 26 yet! I'm running the Detroit half on the 17th. Wish me luck! I just want to get a good time so that I can get a good corral at Disney for the start so that I have more time to finish!

Get this - at Disney - here are the races my family is running:

Dd4- 1 mile

ds 10 − 1 mile

ds 12 − 5K

ds14 - half marathon

dh - half marathon

me - full

sister - GOOFY!!!!!!!! ACK!!!!

My sis is running the full in Detroit. She's an athlete, so she'll do well. I just hope I beat her in the full! (Being that she'll have run the half the day before!!!!)

Are you going for the coast to coast medal????? I saw the the DL half is in Sept. I'll be in AZ then, so I'm considering it!!!!

Good luck with the full! I'm doing the WDW Full in 2012! :) I really wish I could do it in 2011, but I just can't do another trip. My mom is taking me and the girls to Disney in December, and I just did Disneyland in September to get the Coast to Coast this year, so there is no money left! I absolutely LOVE my Coast to Coast medal, but the Disneyland Half was a boooooring race. Nothing at all like a race at WDW. But I am so glad I did it, and I think if you'll be out that way in Sept. you totally need to go for it!

If you're bored and have nothing better to do here is my race report for the Disneyland Half (from my training blog):

http://runningthroughthecastle.blogspot.com/2010/09/race-report-disneyland-half-marathon.html

And here are some pictures:

http://runningthroughthecastle.blogspot.com/2010/09/disneyland-half-marathon-2010-pictures.html

And here is the picture of me after the race with my three medals:

http://runningthroughthecastle.blogspot.com/2010/09/coast-to-coast-challenge.html

For 2011, I've signed up for my first triathlon (sprint distance: 1/4 mile swim, 12 mile bike, 5K run). And I also signed up for the Warrior Dash - where you run in mud and climb over obstacles! LOL

I have another half coming up on November 6th, and I'm thinking of doing the local half on Thanksgiving Day. By doing 3 half marathons in 90 days I can become a half fanatic: http://www.halffanatics.com/index.html . But I haven't signed up for the Thanksgiving Day one, yet. LOL

I can't wait to hear all about your full marathon! Have you done a race at WDW before? They are fantastic!!! You will all love it! I think it's cool that your family is all involved! :)

We just spent four days at WDW in September. Granted we only have two kids but there were a few rides that both of them did not want to go on or that one wanted to go on again. We rode some rides together as a family. Then hubby and I would just split up and ride different rides with the boys (but in the same area). Have fun!

Okay... we have passes for 3 days to Disney, 2 day Universal pass, & 1 day Sea World.. our children are 16, 12, 10, 6, 5, 4... Need a plan for the various ages and how to make this work. Big boys want to do BIG rides ...little ones not ready for BIG rides... How do you make this work???

Disney will be fun for everyone. Universal main park is more young oriented, their Islands of Adventure Park more for older (although they do have a smaller kids' section there too.)