Menu

Schedule vs follow one subject

Right now, school usually takes 1 1/2-2 hours, at most (not counting read-alouds and independent reading) for my DD.

This morning, she has gone CRAZY with math-by which I mean that she sat there and went through multiple lessons in the textbook, and is now happily doing the workbook. She obviously understands what's going on. She's spent almost an hour just on math so far, and is still going strong. (She's working on multiplication of 2s and 3s, if it matters)

Is it OK to spend a day on math only and to come back to everything else later? I kind of feel that if I make her do the rest of school after she finally comes down from the math high she's on, I'll be punishing her for wanting to do math. But at the same time, I don't want her to feel that she can pick and choose what parts of school she does.

Right now, school usually takes 1 1/2-2 hours, at most (not counting read-alouds and independent reading) for my DD.

This morning, she has gone CRAZY with math-by which I mean that she sat there and went through multiple lessons in the textbook, and is now happily doing the workbook. She obviously understands what's going on. She's spent almost an hour just on math so far, and is still going strong. (She's working on multiplication of 2s and 3s, if it matters)

Is it OK to spend a day on math only and to come back to everything else later?

Of course.

I kind of feel that if I make her do the rest of school after she finally comes down from the math high she's on, I'll be punishing her for wanting to do math.

Why do you feel that way? :confused:

But at the same time, I don't want her to feel that she can pick and choose what parts of school she does.

Why?:confused:

I don't think there would be anything wrong with it, as long as you take some time to review next time you do math together. I would want to make sure she was retaining new concepts.

I would not, on a regular basis, allow my DC to do all their math in one day so they're only doing math once a week for 3 hrs. at a time (for example). If they want to do extra, it just means we finish that book faster and start the next one early, or get some enrichment materials. For us, the core subjects need to be happening every day, for at least a minimal amount of time.

But at 5, I would say let her do what interests her!