Menu

Met Opera Experience

Gotta post. :-)

We just got back from the Final Dress Rehearsal of The Metropolitan Opera's performance of La Fille du Régiment.

It will be airing in movie theaters world-wide next Saturday. Of course I'm biased, but my kids were laughing out loud with the rest of the audience. Dessay brings so much to the roll. She was VERY animated! Even my 14 year old motor-head boy said that he really, really enjoyed it.

So if you have ever considered introducing your older kids to opera, I would highly recommend this one. No just a bunch of singing/talking heads. Great fun!

Here's the blurb:

La Fille du Régiment

Approximate running time 2 hrs. 45 min.

Experience the “exceedingly yummy operatic cake†that was called “the operatic show of the season†by The Times of London when it opened at Covent Garden this past winter. Audiences were dazzled by Natalie Dessay’s fearless coloratura and impeccable comic timing and by Juan Diego Flórez’s remarkable musicality—complete with the famous high Cs. Dessay and Flórez are an “operatic coupling made in heaven†raved the Financial Times. Directed by Laurent Pelly, the production also boasts stage legend and Tony Award® winner Marian Seldes as the Duchess of Krakenthorp.

http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/season/production.aspx?id=9419

If you would like local movie theater tickets, you can find them here:

http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/broadcast/hd_events.aspx

Peace,

Janice in NJ

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

La Fille du Régiment

Approximate running time 2 hrs. 45 min.

Experience the “exceedingly yummy operatic cake†that was called “the operatic show of the season†by The Times of London when it opened at Covent Garden this past winter. Audiences were dazzled by Natalie Dessay’s fearless coloratura and impeccable comic timing and by Juan Diego Flórez’s remarkable musicality—complete with the famous high Cs. Dessay and Flórez are an “operatic coupling made in heaven†raved the Financial Times. Directed by Laurent Pelly, the production also boasts stage legend and Tony Award® winner Marian Seldes as the Duchess of Krakenthorp.

I don't know if we'd ever make it to the Met; in St. Louis there's an opera theater, but it's strictly in English. I'm not sure if opera sung in its written language would go over very well in St. Louis as compared to NY! (For example, there's nothing like hearing "The Queen of the Night Aria" sung in the original German---it's so wondrously nasty that even the best English translations can't compare!)

And, this opera has a coloratura, to boot! So very rare! I'm glad you enjoyed your experience. Wish I could hear a clip!

Thanks for posting this!

My two younger kids are taking French. It had to shush them a couple of times; they just wanted to keep telling me, "I understood that. I understood that."

I did too- I just read the translation screen in front of my seat. :001_smile:

It was fun though - to be able to grasp SOME of the French!

Peace,

Janice

Some theatres are having an "encore" presentation on Sunday -we can't go on Saturday but we're VERY excited to go on Sunday! :)

I saw the Houston Grand Opera's performance of Daughter of the Regiment last fall. It was SO much fun. How exciting to see the Met in a live performance :)

Dessay brings so much to the roll. She was VERY animated! Even my 14 year old motor-head boy said that he really, really enjoyed it.

Audiences were dazzled by Natalie Dessay’s fearless coloratura and impeccable comic timing and by Juan Diego Flórez’s remarkable musicality—complete with the famous high Cs. Dessay and Flórez are an “operatic coupling made in heaven†raved the Financial Times.

I couldn't agree with your opinion and the critics' opinions more! "Fearless coloratura" is right! It sounds like it was a wonderful experience for your kids!

We saw La Traviata in St. Louis last year, and my kids commented on how the lead soprano and tenor kept falling on the floor! That was pretty amusing for them!

The Met would be a fantastic experience, because NYC can support opera sung in the original language, which makes it even more enjoyable!

Thanks again for sharing this experience, and for the video clips!

• 2 weeks later...

We just came from the Clifton theatre encore presentation. It was everything you said and more!

I took dd 12, a friend, and took a chance and took dd6 along as well as my mil.

We loved it!! Dd6 was soo good and shel loved it...she wants to go to another opera tomorrow! Two people commented on how good she was (better than some of the adults ).

Thank you for posting this and hugs to you and your wonderful dh!

See you soon!