Menu

S/O: Adults with RAD

I understand somewhat the stresses of children with RAD and the stresses on their parents and siblings. I understand the need for some kids with RAD to live in therapeutic group homes. But what happens when these kids become adults? What will their lives look like? How much can they participate in society, have families etc. I understand that any answer will be in terms of a continuum since some are more affected by their childhood than others.

It is possible for an adult with RAD to function just fine. Adults have choices that kids don't have and can control the level of intimacy they have. It might not be the life that you or I would choose, but not everyone has to have close relationships to be content. Of course some adults with RAD can have difficult adult lives with multiple broken relationships, job turnover, drug/alcohol abuse, and criminal behavior.

According to my adoption training, if not rehabbed or helped significantly, most will continue to have social workers oversee them throughout life. Most will be able to hold jobs but some cannot function, and so will be on some kind of government disability for income. They will typically be loners with an inner rage just waiting to come out. Time bombs, if you will. :sad: They told us that many of them may seem normal on the outside, but they just don't have an inner circle of people in their lives and don't respond well to getting close. Some can have kids physically, but most probably don't get too intimate.

I know of a few RAD teens that are now in the military and doing well. They needed the structure but not the closeness of a family.

Some though will really struggle all through life.

I am one that believes that many (but not all) RAD children have underlying mental health issues that aren't always properly identified and treated. My own daughter had a RAD diagnosis and while she did have some attachment issues, once we properly treated her early onset bipolar, the RAD stuff went away.