Menu

Another Singapore Standards vs. US question...

MamaHappy

I know, I know, I feel like I'm beating a dead horse since this is brought up a lot on the boards, but I searched the forums but I haven't seen this specific question addressed... :tongue_smilie:

I'm thinking about switching from the US to the Standards ed. but I have a couple of questions first.... I noticed that the Standards textbooks and workbooks have more pages per book. Is this because of the extra review? One thing I really love about Singapore is the workload for the student is very manageable as far as the number of textbook/workbook pages that need to be completed each day. Do the extra pages in the Standards ed. add quite a bit to the workload? For those of you who have switched, have you noticed a big difference with this? I guess I don't want things to become cumbersome.

Thanks! :)

Edited by MamaHappy

I haven't used the US edition, but I have the Standards one. We are on week 4 of 3A, and I can honestly say the workload isn't bad. So far, it has been 1-2 pages in the workbook each day. The review is there at the end of each chapter, about 3 pages or so. You could probably skip it, but I did the first one because I thought it made an easy day and a good way to make sure everything from the unit 'stuck.'

The SE covers certain topics that are not in the original US edition. The change was made because the state of California required the topics be covered before the Board of Ed. would approve the books for use in the state's government-run schools. Some of the topics were shifted from higher levels, and some were added.

The extra pages are hardly onerous. For years one "knock" on Singapore Math was that there were too few pages and not enough review. The SE helps make up for that defficentcy.

The "added pages" were from earlier editions of the books that the Singapore Education Ministry bureaucracy included for use it the State of Singapore's government-run institutional schools before there was a US Edition. *yawn*

Bill