Menu

Italic handwriting, anyone have problems?

Blessed with seven

Hi,

I really want to use Italic Handwriting, I have one child who really needs help and my older daughter used this when she was young and she has such beautiful handwriting. But...I did not do the cursive and I had heard, not by many, that if they do italic cursive they have a hard time reading regular cursive?

Anyone have experience w/ the Italic Handwriting series?

Thanks!

Kim

We're doing italic handwriting.

I write in cursive occasionally and have my son read my writing.

His grandparents send him postcards and write in cursive.

Those are things we're doing to get him able to read cursive writing. He hasn't been happy reading cursive, but I think it's important. And he's getting it.

I think as long as you do some practice with reading cursive, there won't be a problem using italic.

We're doing italic handwriting.

I write in cursive occasionally and have my son read my writing.

His grandparents send him postcards and write in cursive.

Those are things we're doing to get him able to read cursive writing. He hasn't been happy reading cursive, but I think it's important. And he's getting it.

I think as long as you do some practice with reading cursive, there won't be a problem using italic.

:iagree:

I am doing italic with my younger and have only ever done GDI with her. She is reading other people's cursive just fine. She got a birthday card the other day from her grandmother, and remarked that she could finally read cursive (yea!) but I have never explicitly shown her the more traditional style. It's all fairly similar, save for a couple of loopy characters (which can be easily deciphered in context).

I started by going through the cursive alphabet and making some flashcards for my son. lower case mostly. b, f, k, r, s, z off the top of my head. And then I write in cursive sometimes. He is not having any problems, and his handwriting is improving so much with the italic. He was taught manuscript at school and would have been learning cursive this year, but I pulled him out of school and we switched. I noticed a difference with his handwriting in a week.

Oh..thank you!! That is so good to know, see the one thing I read was probably a very isolated thing. I was thinking too that you could just have them practice reading "loopy" cursive.

Yee haw!! I am ready to go w/ handwriting...one thing down. Anyone want to help me decide between Sonlight LA or Queen HS Lang? What about Sonlight or HOD? Ha!

Kim

SOOO MANY OPTIONS!! So many good options...:glare:

Guest mrsjamiesouth
Oh..thank you!! That is so good to know, see the one thing I read was probably a very isolated thing. I was thinking too that you could just have them practice reading "loopy" cursive.

Yee haw!! I am ready to go w/ handwriting...one thing down. Anyone want to help me decide between Sonlight LA or Queen HS Lang? What about Sonlight or HOD? Ha!

Kim

SOOO MANY OPTIONS!! So many good options...:glare:

If you order the Italics by Penny Gardner she has a cursive section, that is what we are using with my oldest. We are also using Draw and Write through History which has sections written in cursive.

We really like HOD, she uses R&S and Dictation. I used Queen last year and the year before. I really love the art work. I like CM ideas, so if you want to go that route the Queen books are great. In 3rd grade my son took a co-op class where the teacher had asked them to copy from the board. He was the only one capable of doing that, and he did it quickly. It was from using the Queen books. My only concern was I wasn't sure the actual gramar sections were enough. I am using R&S this year and I have been pleasantly surprised. It is still very light and easy, but it definitely covers a lot more grammar.

Ds1 was that kid who couldn't read regular cursive. He loved italic printing, but didn't take well to the cursive. After a few months he also became frustrated that he couldn't read traditional cursive and wanted to switch. He's one of those kids who finds things easier to learn if he can write it down. So I bought an Educational Fontware CD, let him choose a font, and printed off some traditional cursive. He liked it better in the end.

Cinder

I liked the manuscript Italic Handwriting, but "bailed" when I saw the cursive. I had heard that some who had used the cursive had trouble reading traditional cursive (but this was about 5, 6, 7yrs ago) and I just didn't like the way Italic cursive looked :thumbdown: -- so we moved on to other writing curricula.