Menu

Calling all Bakers: How does this look?

Alana in Canada

My daughter has asked me to teach her to bake.

I am not a baker! I make muffins (weekly) and 3 cakes and two pies a year.

My goal is simply to let her try her hand at baking many different kinds of things, so that if she sees a recipe she wants to try, someday, she knows she's done "something like that" already. (I hope that made sense!)

I went through a couple of cookbooks here at home in an effort to come up with a list of things to bake. I came up with the following. I feel like I'm missing something. You'll see by my questions that I'm just not a baker at all! This will be a learning experience for me, too!

quick bread/muffins

*are these the same thing, the only difference being the pans?

Cake/cupcakes

*see the question above.

Yeast bread.

Soda bread

Pie crusts:

pumpkin pie or dutch apple (one crust)

lattice top

2 pie crust pie

What is a tart? Just a small pie crust?

What is a compote?

Cheesecake

Nanaimo bars

pound cake

what's a sponge cake?

Cookies:

drop, like chocolate chip and oatmeal, peanut butter.

bar, like brownies and Nanaimo bars

roll, like icebox cookies.

Thanks for your help!

Any books out there that may help explain this whole mysterious subject to me?

quick bread/muffins

*are these the same thing, the only difference being the pans? Usually quick breads can be made into muffins - the baking time would decrease of course

Cake/cupcakes - depends on your recipe, but for basic cakes, they can be made as cupcakes

Yeast bread.

Soda bread

Pie crusts:

pumpkin pie or dutch apple (one crust)

lattice top

2 pie crust pie

You could also do a graham cracker crumb crust

What is a tart? Just a small pie crust? Hmmm, I think a tart is a shallower crust, usually filled with fruit

What is a compote? a fruit mixture in a sugar syrup

Cheesecake

Nanaimo bars

pound cake

what's a sponge cake? a cake with a light airy texture due to beaten egg whites

Cookies:

drop, like chocolate chip and oatmeal, peanut butter.

bar, like brownies and Nanaimo bars

roll, like icebox cookies.

Thanks for your help!

Any books out there that may help explain this whole mysterious subject to me?

I have enjoyed The All Butter Fresh Cream Sugar Packed Baking Book by Judy Rosenberg

Quick breads and muffins are almost the same. Ditto cakes and cupcakes. However, because the smaller will dry out quicker, the best recipes will be specific and a cupcake or muffin recipe will contain a bit more moist ingredients (at least, in my meager experience).

I would recommend a really good baking book or even just the baking sections of a really good cookbook like Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything or America's Test Kitchen's Best Recipe. Those are two that I really trust. The recipes for baking are by far the most important element because you have to be precise. Unlike other cooking, where you can experiment pretty early in the learning process, to experiment with a baking recipe, you have to have a better idea of what you're doing.

We're working though the MIT Kitchen Chemistry course

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/special-programs/sp-287-kitchen-chemistry-spring-2009/

After that we're doing the teen cooking lessons at: http://www.kids-cooking-activities.com/kids-cooking-lessons-junior-chef-intro.html

The Kitchen Chemistry is very interesting and a lot of fun too. We also did the Wilton cake decorating classes together last fall. That was a lot of work but we all learned so much and it was fun too. Joann fabric and Michael's offer the classes and you can use the coupons too.

Concerning cakes, I'd like to recommend this book: Great Cakes by Carole Walter. I got it from the library.

Things I like about it:

Well written, easy to understand

A section discussing different kinds of cake and what makes them different from each other

A discussion of different ingredients and how to treat them for different results and to avoid problems

For the recipes, she first refers you to different sections to read, gives tips specific to that kind of cake, and then directs you to return to the recipe to cook. So for the angel food cake she tells yoy to read the section on sponge cakes b/c this info applies, how long to let eggs sit a room temp for an angel food cake, what kind of sugar is best, a tip for combining dry ingredients, adding beaten egg whites, tips on handling, how to avoid over cooking, and more. Then after reading the section of things you should know b/f starting, you go to one of several different kinds of angel food cake.

She has sections of quick and easy cakes, special occasion cakes, and sweet endings.

Now, I've only just checked it out so I can't say how the recipes turn out but they look great! We plan to use it this weekend.

We're working though the MIT Kitchen Chemistry course

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/special-programs/sp-287-kitchen-chemistry-spring-2009/

After that we're doing the teen cooking lessons at: http://www.kids-cooking-activities.com/kids-cooking-lessons-junior-chef-intro.html

The Kitchen Chemistry is very interesting and a lot of fun too. We also did the Wilton cake decorating classes together last fall. That was a lot of work but we all learned so much and it was fun too. Joann fabric and Michael's offer the classes and you can use the coupons too.

What age would that MIT class be for? Am I reading correctly that it is free? How does it work?

Thanks,

Angela

I got the lead on the MIT cooking class from other WTM folks. My girls are 12 & 13 and we have another friend also 13 who is doing the class too. There is reading but that has been interesting and not a lot. It is easily a class for tweens and teens. It is completely free except for the text which we got on half and Amazon has it too. We do the reading one week and add in some videos we find on the net (you tube has a lot of good cooking videos that can go with the lessons) and the next week all the girls get together and cook. The cooking assignments are:

Lesson 1: Guacamole, salsa, make your

own hot sauce, and quesadillas

Lesson 2: Cookie - death by chocolate

Lesson 3: Pancakes

Lesson 4: Bread

Lesson 5: Scones and coffee

Lesson 6: Meringue

Lesson 7: Jams and jellies

Lesson 8: Three bean chili and corn bread

Lesson 9: Cheese

Lesson 10: Molecular gastronomy

Lesson 11: Wacky cake