Menu

13 yr old son ADD and Pre-Algebra

Guest mostofus

Guest mostofus

I am new to posting on this forum, and briefly read some of the threads, is seems like everyone is very helpful, and I need some help!

My son is 13, was diagnosed in the 3rd grade with ADD. We had him tested by a wonderful group here in my large city, and they have been a great support to us over the last few years. He has been on the Daytrana patch for almost 2 years now, (started meds in 3rd grade) we opted for the patch because it is longer lasting. He does very well with this medicine.

School has always been a struggle, it takes constant follow thru from myself to make sure he stays on track. He did fine through the 7th grade, now he is in the 8th grade and we have to take Pre-Algebra and he is super struggling. My husband has a math degree, is a very patient dad, and he tutors him on every math assignment. He works through every problem with him to try to get him to understand. While he has never tested well no matter what class it is, he is especially doing poorly on his math tests. I am so concerned, he has a first year teacher this year, which really concerns me too. While she seems willing to give him the extra attention, I know he is not going to do well, and I am wondering what you as home schooling parents would do for your child. It is apparent to me that we at home will be responsible for getting him through this class.

Sorry for the long post, I am looking for any suggestions, tricks, teaching methods you would use to get your son to learn Pre-Algebra? Thanks so much!

:bigear:

I'm interested, too! My adhd son is 13 and struggles greatly in this area, too. The only thing that comes to mind is actually a technique used with my younger aspergers son... write out clear examples/formulas/steps using LARGE print/numbers on plain paper and have these out next to the child to look to.

I am new to posting on this forum, and briefly read some of the threads, is seems like everyone is very helpful, and I need some help!

My son is 13, was diagnosed in the 3rd grade with ADD. We had him tested by a wonderful group here in my large city, and they have been a great support to us over the last few years. He has been on the Daytrana patch for almost 2 years now, (started meds in 3rd grade) we opted for the patch because it is longer lasting. He does very well with this medicine.

School has always been a struggle, it takes constant follow thru from myself to make sure he stays on track. He did fine through the 7th grade, now he is in the 8th grade and we have to take Pre-Algebra and he is super struggling. My husband has a math degree, is a very patient dad, and he tutors him on every math assignment. He works through every problem with him to try to get him to understand. While he has never tested well no matter what class it is, he is especially doing poorly on his math tests. I am so concerned, he has a first year teacher this year, which really concerns me too. While she seems willing to give him the extra attention, I know he is not going to do well, and I am wondering what you as home schooling parents would do for your child. It is apparent to me that we at home will be responsible for getting him through this class.

Sorry for the long post, I am looking for any suggestions, tricks, teaching methods you would use to get your son to learn Pre-Algebra? Thanks so much!

I would probably buy something like Rod and Staff Math (look at samples online to determine level) and work with him on that after school. Or something like Math U See Pre-Algebra perhaps--we haven't used Math U See so take this advice with a grain of salt. I've just heard good things about it. Rod and Staff requires copying of problems but lots of it can be done orally. Rod and Staff has some of the clearest explanations I have seen. It's also very inexpensive if bought used. Another resource you might try would be the Key To books like Fractions, Decimals and Percents. What exactly are they doing in his Pre-Algebra course in school? My opinion is that succeeding in Algebra is mostly dependent on developmental readiness and being solid on basic arithmetic skills including fractions, decimals and percents.

Guest mostofus
I would probably buy something like Rod and Staff Math (look at samples online to determine level) and work with him on that after school. Or something like Math U See Pre-Algebra perhaps--we haven't used Math U See so take this advice with a grain of salt. I've just heard good things about it. Rod and Staff requires copying of problems but lots of it can be done orally. Rod and Staff has some of the clearest explanations I have seen. It's also very inexpensive if bought used. Another resource you might try would be the Key To books like Fractions, Decimals and Percents. What exactly are they doing in his Pre-Algebra course in school? My opinion is that succeeding in Algebra is mostly dependent on developmental readiness and being solid on basic arithmetic skills including fractions, decimals and percents.

Thank you for that suggestion, I will definitely check in to this.

Guest mostofus
This alone can make for a rough math year. :001_smile:

Absolutely! He is my 4th son to go through middle school, so I am aware of all the changes that take place in a young man's life during this time, it is not an easy time! For him or his parents! LOL!