Menu

Question for those with BJU science experience...

...what do you think about the 8th grade earth/space for a 9th grader?

My present 8th grader is doing Answers in Genesis God's Design for the Physical World this year. He stumbled through Apologia GS last year, I mean *stumbled*, so we decided to not try Apologia again this year and that perhaps he needed to go 'back' a notch in intensity. I think AiG is a good fit, thus far.

But I'm not sure what to do for him next year. He likes science well enough, he's just not strong in it. He talks a bit about a path in which he would need a strong science background, but I'm not sure how serious he is and then the concern since he *isn't* strong in that area.

I'm thinking BJU 8th grade would probably hit about right for him next year. But then, what's that going to do for high school requirements/college prep?

Any input? Further suggestions/recommendations?

You would have to check with the college he is interested in attending, but most will accept an earth science class. If you are doing BJU 8th grade, it would include a lab, and most colleges want at least 3 years of lab science, so it is still good on that account. It still leaves him time to do the traditional Biology, Chemistry and Physics if he needs those. If you don't think he is ready for those yet, I think the BJU earth science could be a good place to spend a year and let him get a little more maturity.

Another choice would be to do a conceptual physics class. Having just done physical science, he should have a good background for that and they are generally acceptable for college applications too.

We are using BJU Earth/Space science right now. The astronomy section is just as difficult as the general astronomy course I took in college! And while some of the labs are quite easy (targeted to junior high), some are very complex (requiring a bit of trig to complete). And there are a LOT of labs to choose from...we usually complete around 2 labs each week.

I would not hesitate to consider this course high-school worthy. If you want to beef it up even more, add in some outside reading on astronomy/geology. But honestly, I think it can stand on its own.

HTH!

Jetta

P.S. Be sure to get the TM! :)

They can be found used very easily. In fact I sold a set on the FS board here earlier in the summer. You do want the third edition. You need the TM and student books (there are 2 of each). The lab manual is included in the student book, but if it has been written in, you can buy a new "Student Activities" book separately.