Menu

Guitar Lessons

Paige

We want to have my son begin guitar lessons soon and I was wondering how it usually worked. We can either do group lessons or private lessons and there's a $5 per lesson difference in the cost with privates naturally being more expensive. The places we've called typically see students for 30min once a week and you pay monthly (4 lessons). We would really like to do private lessons 3times a months- skipping one week but would that be too long between lessons? We have another activity once a month, taekwondo several times every week, and I'd rather not do 3 different activities in one week. If we can't do that, we'd probably do group lessons since it is cheaper and my son may enjoy playing with other kids his age.

Also, my DH was wondering how long my son will need lessons before he is moderately proficient? I know every kid is different but DH is not thrilled with the idea of a monthly guitar bill for the next 5 years! I'm hoping that we could maybe do lessons for 6mos or a year and then DS could use books and DVDs to teach himself and practice on his own from that point. Is that reasonable? We don't need him to be some guitar master but just want him to have enough skills to play for pleasure.

Is $20 a lesson excessive or reasonable for private lessons with an adult teacher? We do not know of any high school or non-professional teachers that give lessons.

I'm paying $25/lesson for half-hour private. My dd had group lessons from this same teacher. That was very inexpensive at $40/month for weekly one-hour lessons. My dd was very frustrated by the end of the term though, because the other kids in the class never practiced. My dd practiced every week and was ready to move on, so the teacher ended up teaching her privately for 15 minutes every lesson while the other two kids at least got through what they were supposed to practice at home. She's much happier with private lessons. She started in February and is getting pretty good. There's no way that she'd be ready to go off on her own after just 6 months though. I can see her possibly wanting to learn on her own next summer. At that point she'll have had lessons for 16 months.

We were very blessed in that the music minister at our church decided to start giving them for church members for a one time $30 fee, once a week for 45 minutes. It only took my son a few months of this to gain proficiency, but every child is going to be different dependent on the talent given him. My point is, maybe you could call around churches and see if there is anyone giving lessons through there. It may be worth a shot!

Also, my DH was wondering how long my son will need lessons before he is moderately proficient? I know every kid is different but DH is not thrilled with the idea of a monthly guitar bill for the next 5 years! I'm hoping that we could maybe do lessons for 6mos or a year and then DS could use books and DVDs to teach himself and practice on his own from that point. Is that reasonable? We don't need him to be some guitar master but just want him to have enough skills to play for pleasure.

If he has the interest, drive, and talent, guitar is something he can certainly learn on his own. Books and DVD's weren't even necessary here. All ds needed was the internet for tabs and through his own searching would pick up chords here and there. I think its doable, but only if it is something he wants to do.

Do you have a local YMCA? My daughter takes group lessons at ours. We are not members of the Y and I pay $50 per month (4 lessons.) The lessons are listed as 1 hour each but her instructor allows the students to remain for up to 3 hours. We usually let her stay 2 hours. She was quite proficient after 6 months of lessons. But we will continue for now as she really enjoys the class. There are about 8 students and they all work at their own pace most of the time, but play two or three together now and again.