Menu

What do you think of the maps in History Odyssey (Level 2, Ancients)?

HeidiKC

Is it just me or are these blackline maps horrible? We've used about 4 of the maps so far, and each time my son is supposed to locate a city we can't figure out where it should go because (for instance) the shape of the Nile is nothing like the maps in the atlases we have. There will be a bend in the Nile on the HO map, but it doesn't seem to line up at all with the bend (different shape and location) in the ones in the atlases. The Red Sea doesn't seem to be the correct shape, especially in relation to different points of the Nile.

I certainly wasn't expecting the maps to be perfect or anything, but when we're not sure if a city should be several inches higher or lower (Map 4 was especially confusing)... it makes things pretty frustrating and confusing.

Just wondering if anyone who has used the curriculum has any thoughts on this? And are we in for the same problem throughout the course or is it just the Mesopotamia/Egypt thing? Thanks!

Guest ME-Mommy
Is it just me or are these blackline maps horrible? We've used about 4 of the maps so far, and each time my son is supposed to locate a city we can't figure out where it should go because (for instance) the shape of the Nile is nothing like the maps in the atlases we have. There will be a bend in the Nile on the HO map, but it doesn't seem to line up at all with the bend (different shape and location) in the ones in the atlases. The Red Sea doesn't seem to be the correct shape, especially in relation to different points of the Nile.

I certainly wasn't expecting the maps to be perfect or anything, but when we're not sure if a city should be several inches higher or lower (Map 4 was especially confusing)... it makes things pretty frustrating and confusing.

Just wondering if anyone who has used the curriculum has any thoughts on this?

I haven't actually used HO Ancients 2 yet -- I just downloaded the sample yesterday but the quality of the outline maps was one thing that caught my eye right away.

After using Uncle Josh, Knowledge Quest, and TOG MapAids, I thought maybe it was just me. :tongue_smilie:

But, upon looking at them again, the detail is pretty poor, IMO.

I think, if we decide to go with HO, I'll substitute other maps...they're THAT bad. (again = IMHO)

The copyright is 2008 - isn't that the newer one??? If not, I wonder if I can order newer maps. Are Uncle Josh maps good or do people have a recommendation for a set of blacklines?

I am using a historical atlas, as well as the very small maps in KFH. But I have several historical atlases with good maps and they are very different from the HO maps! It isn't just that they are different, I can tell by looking at the HO maps before even comparing them to an atlas that they are rather poor. The shapes of large water bodies and land masses aren't great. The problem comes when you need to locate a city somewhere!

I'm actually surprised that the author included maps of this quality. I think the ones I did in my very first geography class in college were better! But I do really like the rest of the curriculum.

Thanks for the feedback. I thought maybe I was nuts as I'd never read any comments on the maps anywhere.