Menu

Abeka math for hs

I would NOT recommend ABeka math for high school.. ABeka did not write these programs--they are reprints of Heath Mathematics 1914 texts--and in this case older is NOT better.

NO teacher support--inadequate examples and the absence of some major concepts such as y=mx+b

I taught from this a few years ago at a private school--and I had to supplement nearly every lesson...

Their Geometry program is the WORST high school math text I have ever seen.

This review is 'nice' too...I'm a little passionate about this one--I really hate slamming a program... we used quite a bit of ABeka's materials when my girls were younger...I just wish they would keep the same quality in a program as important as high school Math!

I've taught from Saxon before (I used to teach from it exclusively) but this program is not for every student--either it works or it doesn't--I'd say it works about 70% of the time--but my own daughters were part of the 30%.

I prefer to use traditional programs and I use a series by Margaret Lial with my online classes. I use a PS text (Holt Geometry) for Geometry.

There are so many GOOD programs to choose from... while Saxon is fine--you can do much better than ABeka.

Where have you purchased the LIAL books and the geometry book you've used. We used abeka for algebra 1 and are using Jacob's geometry this year. My daughter is doing fine but I have not been thrilled with Jacobs. Let's just say it's a good thing I understand math and have taught it before. I've liked some of the books my math tutor students have used but I've always found them cost prohibitive if you wanted to get the teacher's book and tests, etc.

Can you help?

Cindy Lee

I usually get my texts on amazon.com or half.com

I use the 'next to the latest' edition with my classes--so there are usually TONS of them available for a good used book price. The Lial series is very popular with community colleges so this helps too! Usually around $20 per text. Student text is all that is really needed as the odd homework answers and ALL of the answers to reviews and tests are in there... more than enough practice. The TE is the SAME as the student text (the full teaching lesson is in the student text too)... it just has all of the answers filled in. Solutions manuals (for odd problems) are around $10 shipped... and totally optional.

The Holt Geometry text is not so cheap--around $70 for a good used text. The teacher supplement (cd package with TE and TONS of extras including a solutions manual) can be difficult to find--it is called the One stop planner.

The Holt series offers FREE online videos made by the autor--Dr Edward Burger of Thinkwell... student text has the necessary matching codes within the lessons.

I like the Lial series (paperback developmental series) for Pre-Agebra (Basic College Math), Algebra 1 (Introductory Algebra), Algebra 2 (Intermediate Algebra) and Pre-Calc.

I have the isbns listed on my website--just PM me if you'd like the link.