Menu

Bread question

Is there any way to make soft bread in the bread maker. I love to make homemade bread, but the kids complain about it when I use it for sandwiches. They want it to be like the bread from the store. Anyone had success making sandwich type bread in the bread maker? If so, would you mind sharing your recipe?

My bread recipe is my Mom's..it is referred to by my friends as a soft french bread.

THe original recipe is all white bread flour, but I substitute up to 3/4 of the total flour wtih whole grain cereals and fresh ground whole wheat flour. It is still softer than any other whole wheat recipe I have tried.

I put 4 cups of hot water along with 4 cups of bread flour in the mixer.

Add 1 egg

1 tbls salt

2 tbls SAF yeast

1/4 cup sugar

1/3 cup oil ( I have used Olive Oil)

Mix for 5 minutes.

Add in 6 cups of flour. Knead for 8 mins.

Let raise until doubled.

Punch down and let rest for 20 minutes.

Form into loaves and let raise for another hour or so.

Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.

If I am making whole grain, I use :

2 cups of 7 grain cereal ( Bob's Red Mill or similiar) and 2 cups of whole wheat flour for for the initial 4 cups of white flour.

Then depending on how whole grain you like it, you can add up to 3 cups of whole wheat flour and then 3 cups of white flour for the remaining 6 cups of flour, using the same mixing and kneading instructions.

Is there any way to make soft bread in the bread maker. I love to make homemade bread, but the kids complain about it when I use it for sandwiches. They want it to be like the bread from the store. Anyone had success making sandwich type bread in the bread maker? If so, would you mind sharing your recipe?

If the hard crust is the problem take out the dough and bake the bread in the oven OR bake it in the bread machine then put the loaf in a plastic bag while it's hot so the steam will soften the crust.

Not sure what flavor of bread you're looking for, but I've found that my bread is softer when I use all-purpose flour (instead of bread flour), adding in gluten.

My daily bread is called Peasant Bread:

1 1/2 cup H20

1 Tbsp sugar

3 Tbsp olive oil

2 tsp salt

4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 Tbsp gluten

2 1/2 tsp yeast (I use Red Star)

2 lb. loaf, French cycle, Dark crust (for an even softer crust I would do Medium)

1.5 c HOT water

2 tsp salt

1/3 c. oil

1/4-1/3 c. honey

4c & 6 Tbsp hard red wheat (I mill my own)

1 Tbsp rice bran extract (I think - just like lecithin)

2 tsp gluten

1 Tbsp flax seed (ground)

make a well - 1 Tbsp yeast

Put in order in bread machine. Use some soft wheat and/or more gluten to get a fluffier loaf but these are pretty fluffy on their own. Put on short cycle (45 min). Take out, fold in 3rds, press down bubbles as you go; repeat; fold in 1/2, pinch ends, let rise 30 min or so, bake at 350 for 25 min. (This makes 2 loaves)

This is a bread beckers' recipe...

Maybe I need to try your recipe! Since moving north to The South I can't find a decent firm loaf of bread - it's all too soft!! (We really miss Publix Bakery's Italian sandwich bread!)