Menu

ugh! Mother has NO confidence in me.

My mother and I spoke today on the phone, and she asked how Michael's schoolwork was going. I said he was doing well, we are having a lot of fun. She then went on to say that it's very important he doesn't get in the habit of just not doing schoolwork, and become lazy, "because we all know this is temporary and he will be going back to school" at some point, and it would be awful if "he were behind and didn't want to do work at school because he had gotten in the habit of being lazy." Seriously? Gee, yeah, we sit here and eat bon bons all day while wallowing in our own ignorance. This is the second time she has mentioned this. I explained to her that not only are we doing work each day, but that it is the PUBLIC SCHOOL that got him behind!!! I'm catching him up! GRR.

Edited by ktgrok
removed offensive abbreviation

I find it helps to remember that grandparents (generally) have these concerns because they love their grandchildren. It's a huge pain, but in the big picture it's a blessing to have other adults who care about your kids. I found that by acknowledging the concerns and explaining what I was doing to help address them, however annoying it was to have to do, helped get the grandparents up to speed and supportive. After all, they aren't reading the Hive everyday. They also need answers they can give to their own friends, who may questions them about the homeschooling. It takes time, but it's worth it in the end.

People who make these sorts of comments do it because of their own preconceived notions about what homeschooling is. I don't think she believes homeschooling is wonderful and you are particularly bad at it...it sounds like she believes homeschooling is a copout for kids who can't hack school. Does she live nearby? Can she come over for the day to observe and help teach? Maybe she'll get a clue :tongue_smilie: