Menu

Vocabulary cartoons

My kids are not in high school yet but we are using this. My oldest does 3 words a day (though I think she could do more, right now we are sticking with that) I have her use the words through out the day (as often as she can) Retention is amazing! We were doing wordly wise before this and there was little to no retention. For my kids this is an awesome program!

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

My kids are not in high school yet but we are using this. My oldest does 3 words a day (though I think she could do more, right now we are sticking with that) I have her use the words through out the day (as often as she can) Retention is amazing! We were doing wordly wise before this and there was little to no retention. For my kids this is a awesome program!

Thanks! I think I remember others saying there was little retention from WW so I am glad you mentioned that.

We do a chapter a week. (We are on the second book, retention was great for the first book and my DD really enjoys vocabulary now). Here's our routine:

Day 1 she uses the first 5 words in a sentence

Day 2 she uses the second 5 words in a sentence

Day 3 a crossword puzzle I made for the words of the week

Day 4 Matching definitions from end of chapter in the book

Day 5 Fill in the blanks from the end of the chapter in the book

We use these words for spelling too, so every 2 weeks I verbally test her on the spelling and definitions for the last 2 chapters.

I am curious how you use this book? How many words per day are you studying and how is retention with this method?

Thanks!

Well for us it was Student Pace, whatever he could memorize per day, he did.

(Didn't really matter how many I assigned if they weren't getting memorized KWIM :001_huh:)

Retention was a result of reviewing (some daily, some weekly, some monthly)

:seeya:

We borrowed ours from the library and considered them just as recreational materials. DD read them as and when she felt like it and I heard giggles from the bathroom :D . Retention was great last yr, when she finished the books. Don't really know whether she remembers any of them today, maybe I should borrow the books again.

Joan