Menu

Dictation

Quiver0f10

We stopped dictation at 5th grade. As far as I've been told, the main purpose in dictation is for students to practice writing sentences with proper spelling, punctuation, and grammar -- as it is being stated. By 5th grade, a student should be writing a lot more original work -- e.g. using proper spelling, punctuation, and grammar as they write their own sentences.

At least, that's how it was explained to me.:001_smile:

With my oldest, I stopped this year with my 6th grader. Each week she does a CW writing assignment, 1-2 history related assignments, 1-2 science related assignments, and sometimes a book report. The CW assignment we edit extensively. The others we correct spelling, grammar, and sometimes make a few content changes. Since she has a good mastery of spelling and grammar, I really didn't see the need to continue with dictation. HTH

We were doing AAS which included dictation (not beautiful language, but dictation). Since he has finished AAS through level 5, I am just pulling out sentences from his literature books from TOG. That way, I can have him start dictation with beautiful language. Right now, I take two dictation sentences from his books. I plan it all out about 10 weeks in advance.

Beth

Jean,

I'm not sure how old you're talking about, but I'm still using WWE4 with my just turned 14yo/8th grade dd. She needs it. I'm skipping all the narration exercises because she's not too bad at summarizing, but we're doing all the dictations. After 7 years of grammar (mostly R&S) and spelling (SWO) she still struggles.

I felt better about continuing her dictations using WWE after watching SWB doing them with her 13yo son on the youtube video. After 17 years of homeschooling, I think I shouldn't be so uncertain as to need that kind of reassurance, but there it is.

I was thinking, too, that all the old LLATL books had dictation selections through high school level. I bet you could pick them up for a song. I wish I had hung onto mine. I haven't seen the newer ones.

Jean,

I'm not sure how old you're talking about, but I'm still using WWE4 with my just turned 14yo/8th grade dd. She needs it. I'm skipping all the narration exercises because she's not too bad at summarizing, but we're doing all the dictations. After 7 years of grammar (mostly R&S) and spelling (SWO) she still struggles.

I felt better about continuing her dictations using WWE after watching SWB doing them with her 13yo son on the youtube video. After 17 years of homeschooling, I think I shouldn't be so uncertain as to need that kind of reassurance, but there it is.

I was thinking, too, that all the old LLATL books had dictation selections through high school level. I bet you could pick them up for a song. I wish I had hung onto mine. I haven't seen the newer ones.

Thanks for the recommendations. I use WWE with the younger ones so maybe I will grab level 4 to use with him.