Menu

Anyone using LLATL purple -5th grade

Maddysmom26

JUst wondering how its going for you? I'm finding it slightly confusing tryn to use the teachers book and how its layed out.

Have you started a book study>? My DD is refusing to read the first "farmerboy"

She loves to read, but says she cant read that kind of writing.. Which I think is just and excuse.

She has new glasses so she can see. I tried reading it aloud but she hates doing read alouds.

Last year she was in 4th n reading on 6th level. So shes a great reader.. But just hates reading chapter books.

She did say she wants to read meet addy.. which is later in the book. should I just let her skip and read that one?

Ideas???

Hi, Lindsay,

I'm using this with my dd. We are only on our second week of school, so I really can't comment too much. My dd didn't mind reading Farmer Boy. I actually had her read this the first week and she completed the vocabulary and discussion questions as well. I'm really bad because I had her write answers for the discussion questions:o.

What part of the TM is confusing? I'm using LLATL as a more independent approach;). I love teaching my dc but with six kiddos, it gets hard to be there for everything. I'm basically using the tm for some guidance and too check her answers. Oh, and of course I help with dictation.

Hopefully the other Linda, will chime in :001_smile:

Edited by Homeschooling6

Hi, Lindsay,

What part of the TM is confusing? I'm using LLATL as a more independent student directed approach;). I love teaching my dc but with six kiddos, it gets hard to be there for everything. I'm basically using the tm for some guidance and too check her answers. Oh, and of course I help with dictation.

Hopefully the other Linda, will chime in :001_smile:

I guess I wasnt sure how to approach the "teaching" aspect, So we are doing more of an independent approach also, Im there for guidance but Im not "teaching" it so to speak. very new at this hs'ing thing.. so I guess its just a matter of what works, right?

Im trying to think of ways to work around her being soo stubborn! & Get her to read the darn book! ahh :glare::D

I guess I wasn't sure how to approach the "teaching" aspect, So we are doing more of an independent approach also, Im there for guidance but Im not "teaching" it so to speak. very new at this hs'ing thing.. so I guess its just a matter of what works, right?

Im trying to think of ways to work around her being soo stubborn! & Get her to read the darn book! ahh :glare::D

I don't know how crucial it is to read the Farmer Boy book, will she read another Little House book? They are really not that long. Thick but the font is big. If it's a disobedience thing, can dad have her read the book? I would figure out what the problem is and go from there. I'm a mean mom, I just tell my kiddos that there are lots of things we don't want to do in life but have to :). Of course having her read the book or not is totally up to you :D

Yes, it's a matter of finding your groove. Just take one lesson at a time.

JUst wondering how its going for you? I'm finding it slightly confusing tryn to use the teachers book and how its layed out.

She loves to read, but says she cant read that kind of writing.. Which I think is just and excuse.

She has new glasses so she can see. I tried reading it aloud but she hates doing read alouds.

Last year she was in 4th n reading on 6th level. So shes a great reader.. But just hates reading chapter books.

She did say she wants to read meet addy.. which is later in the book. should I just let her skip and read that one?

Ideas???

I have a dd using purple at the moment too. :001_smile:

In regards to the book studies, they are not sequential so it wouldn't really matter if you did Meet Addy before Farmer Boy. Maybe you could just swap them around. I'm a mean mom like homeschooling6 though - somethings are just going to be done whether they like it or not...;) Another option would be to just skip the book studies for now and go on with the normal lessons. You can always come back to the book studies later as they are not tied in with the everyday lessons.

The TM manual is not designed to teach from but is there more as an answer guide for the parents, although I agree that it is a little hard to follow sometimes as the page setup does not match the page setup of the student book. The student book is self-instructional (as you've probably already figured out) so the student is not reliant on your 'teaching' from the TM but can proceed through the workbook with or without your help as the case may be, just coming to you for dictations and spelling tests (at least, that's the way we do it here...)

Does that help? Not sure if I've totally answered you question :tongue_smilie:

Ideas???

Here is how I have taken to the LLATL program. The book studies are not scheduled in the teacher's guide. There is a brief leading sentence somewhere that would encourage beginning the actual lessons while doing the book study as well. So in purple you would begin Everyday Words in "America" while having your child read Farmer Boy daily and completing activities as they get to it from the book.

So I split the book up into 2 chapters a day to read and had my child work on the vocabulary and discussion questions as she finished the chapters that they pertained to in the book. Beside the discussion questions and vocabulary there will be a chapter to reference so this is easy. After she completely reads the book, I will have her do the enrichment crossword puzzle and sequencing events exercise in the book study.

The whole time that we are working on Farmer Boy during reading time, we are also working on our daily lessons with LLATL. The teachers guide hasn't been confusing to me except for the parts where it references different pages for excerpts in the teacher's guide than in the student pages. For example, they read an excerpt on Paul Revere and it is on page 15 in the teacher's guide and page 13 in the student pages. So in you teacher's guide as you are reading the instructions to your child you read the wrong page for their book.

LLATL is teacher intensive to me. You need to have your teacher's guide and read through everything as your child is working through everything. There is a lot of meat in the teacher's guide which is not in the student guide. You have to go through Lesson 1 a. reading from the teacher's guide as your child follows lesson 1a in the student pages. The layout is like this Lesson 1 a through e is Monday Lesson 2 a through ... is Tuesday...and you can either add the review as you go or do the review as homework on Friday (this is what I do).

As far as her not wanting to read it, I would tell her there are a lot of things I don't want to do and that it was her assignment and choose an appropriate punishment if she doesn't follow through. I use a composition book for the girls to write their discussion questions from the book studies in and grade as we go. Often when they are reading 2 chapters a day, they only complete a discussion question or 2 and a vocabulary word or 2 a day. It is really easy to tell if they haven't been reading.

I hope this helps. I am very pleased with LLATL, but it does have a learning curve to teaching and it does require the teacher for a lot of discussion. It isn't like Abeka Language or other things we have used where I read an excerpt from the top of the page and the child goes off and does the work.

Being brand new to HS'ing I really appreciate everyone's input! Its very helpful to see how you all work through this program.

We have been working through the lessons and I have started a new token/behavior type thing for both school work and home chores.

so far its working!!! :D

So Im planning to enforce the fact that she needs to read the book studies and then she can choose other books to read of her choice.

I just decided to get more into the lessons and get things moving more smoothly before throwing it at her again. (being this is all new for us)

So far today is going really well. Thanks again for your input!:D