Menu

I need to drop something

delaney

I think I am overlapping too much. I have DD (10) doing WWE2 because we have never done it before, LLATL orange, and R&S Building Diligence(grade 4). Should I drop WWE and just do the copywork from SOTW?

Same with other DD. I am trying to do FLL and WWE1.

I plan on diving into TOG unit 2 in November so will that take care of some of this? I am waiting for it to get here to really look at it.

If your dd is doing LLATL Orange, could you use the copywork/dictation from that as your focus? You could still add in R&S but not necessarily every day. I use R&S along with LLATL but my dc only do the R&S 2x a week while doing the LLATL every day. I find it a really good balance.

Just a thought.

TOG doesn't include any LA other than writing.

Can your 4th grader summarize and write out their thoughts? If they can then you don't need WWE. If one of those are missing then I would continue.

Same with your younger child. You can do both WWE and FLL if you like. I did both with my 2nd dd, but I do a lot of simplifying of FLL and I don't do the narration, copywork or other writing in FLL.

It really goes back to what are you trying to teach them? What are your goals?

LLATL is known for being light on grammar, and I would assume because it is built on Ruth Beechick philosophy that it is focused on creative writing. You can drop the writing piece in favor of WWE.

Heather

Either do LLATL or R&S or WWE. Doing all three is major overkill.

Many people think that LLATL is grammar-light, but I've read comments from people who used it all the way through high school, and they report that their children's grammar and writing skills are excellent.

Many people think that LLATL is grammar-light, but I've read comments from people who used it all the way through high school, and they report that their children's grammar and writing skills are excellent.

I think that is because the grammar in LLATL is integrated throughout the lessons and is taught in context with the literature passages rather than being isolated grammar lessons. It may be presented in a more gradual way, however I think there is also value in covering and learning grammatical skills and concepts in literary context. For example, yesterday my 2nd grader identified verbs in her literature passage, and again in a few extra sentences. She then wrote sentences of her own where she had to find the verbs. So, she had context and then translated the concept into her own writing.

Just my perspective ;)