Menu

TOG question

filipinagirl

I am looking into switching to TOG and sticking with it. I have researched and researched about it and I think I am ready to take the plunge. Does anybody have the Print and DE package? Do you find it necessary to have the DE ( Digital Edition) as well? Or do you think having just the print is good enough.

Any advice would be very appreciated!

-Carmen

I have always just had print and I personally prefer it. I have to have it to carry around, so I would have printed it all anyway. I even chose to do just print even though it would have been an identical price for print and DE just so I could resell it when I am finished. I just couldn't see spending that kind of money and then throwing it away since I couldn't resell it.

Christine

I have the print/DE package, and I use both. I teach Rhetoric level history at our co-op, so I really like having the printed version. I like being able to take it with me, read it in bed, and highlight it before I lead our class discussions.

I like having the DE because I can also put it on my ds's computer. He has everything he needs on his desk top. He uses the search feature when he can't find something. The Map Aids and Gov't supplements are tied in, so all he has to do is "open" the current week and everything is at his fingertips.

I also like having the DE so I can print off the yellow reading assignment pages for each of my dc. I print a page for each child and check what I want them to read. They highlight the assignment when it's finished. (Of course, you could just copy these from the print version, but I don't have a copier.)

One of our co-op members also prints workbooks for her UG/D students so they can write their answers directly under the printed questions.

I have DE right now, because I am using it with LG, UG, and D. I will probably add the copy portion for the units when my oldest gets to R, because it would be cheaper than copying, and it would be up to date. (Referring to the option of buying the print to go with already purchased DE.) I bought DE because it is cost effective. I have children as young as 2yo and felt it would be worth having the updated version over the years, so much can change in that time frame. Right now I don't print that much, a year fits in one binder.

For me it depends on the ages. I have LG/UG students and would prefer the DE, for updating reasons and because I flip through a ton of pages that aren't really necessary at this stage. When they get to R, the print version will more useful, but I also really like the idea of my students having the DE version to access. My advice, get both for one year or one unit. If you really plan to use TOG all the way through, this will give you the best feel for both and you can always sell the print copy if it isn't "you".

Happy TOGing!

Jenn:001_smile:

Well, we bought 3 year plans in one shot all in DE format and have not regretted it. I am a visual/ tactile person so having something in my hands is important to me also. I am trying to grow though :tongue_smilie:and get away from that frame of mind. I have found the DE to be so user friendly that having the DE format I feel has been the best decision I made. Also, I saved tons on shipping costs since we were living overseas at the time.

One of the most important features for me with the DE is that you get free updates. I personally don't care about reselling it. I have two boys (hoping to add a third little one at some point) and it is something I would save for my grandkids also.

Now, I cannot deal with going totally paperless (yet ;)) so I will be printing certain pages from it, but I don't see a point in printing the whole thing. At the end of the day your decision should depend on what you want to get out of it and what is important to you :).

I have the print/DE package, and I use both. I teach Rhetoric level history at our co-op, so I really like having the printed version. I like being able to take it with me, read it in bed, and highlight it before I lead our class discussions.

I like having the DE because I can also put it on my ds's computer. He has everything he needs on his desk top. He uses the search feature when he can't find something. The Map Aids and Gov't supplements are tied in, so all he has to do is "open" the current week and everything is at his fingertips.

I also like having the DE so I can print off the yellow reading assignment pages for each of my dc. I print a page for each child and check what I want them to read. They highlight the assignment when it's finished. (Of course, you could just copy these from the print version, but I don't have a copier.)

One of our co-op members also prints workbooks for her UG/D students so they can write their answers directly under the printed questions.

Leanna, you still pay for Map Aids and Government - or is this included in the DE package?

Leanna, you still pay for Map Aids and Government - or is this included in the DE package?

I am not Leanna but I thought I would attempt an answer for you. When we bought our year plans I also purchased all the supplements for Year 1 (except for Government, which we don't need right now). At the time they were only available on CD-Rom so I purchased the CD's. Now you can order the supplements and have them work directly in your DE program. They are purchased separately and then added onto the interface so that they work directly with DE (I am not sure if there are any bonus bundle offers for the supplements right now, since I haven't checked). I was offered to return my CD's and have them added to my DE format but decided against it since I have already paid shipping to receive them and would have to pay even more to return them from Canada. Next year when we move onto Year 2 I will be purchasing my supplements in DE format so that I can have everything in one place.

If you downloaded the 3-week sample you will notice that the supplement links in the interface will give you some samples of the supplements also. If you do not purchase the supplements then your links in the interface for the supplements will be inactive. That is how mine are since I have the CD's for them. Clear as mud ;)?