Menu

Homeschooling academically gifted children

Is anyone using a curriculum designed for academically gifted children? I've been looking into a few for my 7yo and like the looks of the samples. The quality of the questions integrated with the concepts seems to be a much better approach than just working 2-3 years ahead as I did with my first.

My middle children worked at grade level and were very challenged by the usual classical material, so it's been at least 12 years since I've been in a position to look at gifted material.

Is anyone using a curriculum designed for academically gifted children?
My oldest is academically gifted (jury's out on her sister). Anything not linked here is in my sig. For LA, we use Michael Clay Thompson's different series. Math we use Singapore, but the Intensive Practice books in lieu of the workbooks, and with supplements like Primary Challenge Math. In History, I just supplement with higher level reading materials, using HO as a base. Because she reads well, we started Latin and Spanish early. Other subjects she works through at her own speed. Science isn't on the table currently because of time limitations. I'm looking for a Science program to add in the fall.

There's an Accelerated Learner board here. Have you seen it?

I am a home tutor to three academically gifted children ranging in age from 5-11. The material they use is not specifically designed for gifted children, they just move through more quickly and due to the speed allows for more enrichment opportunities. I agree with the last post, for math...the intensive practice is a great choice. As for other subjects, it just allows the student to dive deeper...maybe more experiments, further reading, reports, etc. Good luck.:)

I will look at the accelerated board, but I've found on some other sites gifted is considered the same as "really smart child who works a few years ahead." I think I cheated my oldest by just using harder material with him. I would rather have this child be challenge by concepts and ideas rather than by advanced material, although in math and english working 2-3 years ahead is the obvious way to go. I don't think that is necessarily what is best for the gifted thinker when it comes to science, history and related subjects. At this point in my life I've had one slow learner, a few average learners whose gifts were not academic, two really smart kids and two academically gifted. I try to work with each of their gifts and want to look back at this last one and feel that I succeeded at least a little bit.

I use gifted curriculum with my children although I doubt they are gifted. Based on their test scores they would be in the gifted program in school so I figure the curriculum should apply. But, I have a brother and sister that are truly gifted and the differences in the way they think and see things compared to myself and my children are evident to me. I find gifted curriculum to be more to my liking. It seems to require less busy work and much more thinking and discussion. The questions are much more in depth and tend to help children make connections and really think rather than memorize.

I have used Michael Clay Thompson for language arts for a couple of years. I think it is excellent and plan to use his entire curriculum.

I found the Center for Gifted Education curriculum recently. We've started using it for history and literature. I have read through several different levels and I find it to be a better fit than any other curriculum I have examined.

We use standard curriculum for math and science. I think Singapore Math is a very good program although not a gifted program and science I do not feel I could do justice to at a gifted level. My children will take science outside the home at the upper levels.:)

I think you will be suprised by the Accelerated Board here. Give it a try! There are many on there who understand the difference between gifted and accelerated. :001_smile:

I have found the academic talent search very helpful. The results last year came with a book of recommendations for each subject area based on what level dc placed into (this was MATS.) For humanities and languages, they offered some great suggestions for different paths, not just accelerating. Also, it was from this material that I learned of one dd's need for the diagnostic-prescriptive approach, which has been very helpful to me.

Honestly, I have found the easiest and most effective way to teach them when they are young is to over-learn the material myself, so that I can take them as deep as they try to go. As they get older, I understand that they will need me to find them mentors in areas I have not mastered. I think this is the ideal scenario for a gifted child. Also, as they get older, and once they are past basic skills, the curriculum used becomes less important, because they start using non-traditional materials to learn for themselves.

Anyway, no, I don't use much that is specifically for gifted dc. It often seems very classroom-ish to me.

I think you will be suprised by the Accelerated Board here. Give it a try! There are many on there who understand the difference between gifted and accelerated. :001_smile:
:iagree: