Menu

personification

happyhappyjoyjoy

We're doing a Mike Mulligan lap book. I want to make sure I understand personification.

a definition reads:

the attribution of a personal nature or character to inanimate objects or abstract notions, esp. as a rhetorical figure.

I know that Mary Anne the steam shovel is an example of personification, because the steam shovel is an inanimate object. Is the white rabbit from Alice and Wonderland an example of personification. A rabbit is not an inanimate object.

Personification and anthropomorphism, I always get confused between these two figures of speech. Anthropomorphism is the attribution of human characteristics and qualities to non-human beings, objects, natural, or supernatural phenomena. I believe Mary Anne the steam shovel and the white rabbit from Alice in Wonderland are both examples of anthropomorphism.

Personification is ascribing human attributes to non-human objects, etc. e.g.

Trees by Joyce Kilmer

I think that I shall never see

A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest

Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,

And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in Summer wear

A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;

Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,

But only God can make a tree.

The tree has a "hungry mouth", it "looks" at God, it "wears" a robin's nest in it's "hair".

I've never read Mike Mulligan, :blush: but I was assuming that Mary Anne was like Thomas the Tank Engine, etc. having actual eyes, mouth, a mind of her own. If so I would consider her an anthropomorphism only. Do the instructions in the lap book state that she is an example of personification?

OK, we still have it and I "read" it. :lol: I guess Mary Anne is personification, I made my original assumption based on the cover of the book with Mary Anne's mouth open in a big grin, eyes, etc. I believe there may be an aphorism or two about assuming and judging a book by its cover. :hat: