Menu

My fave literature based math guides....with a QUESTION for you...

Neesy

Is there a Literature Based Math CURRICULUM out there??? :bigear:

Is there such a curriculum that uses Stuart J. Murphy - MathStart Books AND/OR Kane Press - Math Matters books.... right in the lessons...with a student workbook or textbook that goes with it?

So far I have found a few books but not an actual put-together curriculum. :confused:

If there isn't one, there SHOULD be! IMHO of course!;)

What I have found so far that I REALLY like:

PK-1:

Mrs. E's Extraordinary Number Activities : Uses books for each number from 1-20. Each lesson is step-by-step and broken down like this: Before The Lesson - Have on Hand - Read Aloud - Talk About - Kids Create with reproducibles from each number lesson.

It has large, hollow (whole pg.) numbers to put items inside the # (like buttons, etc.), reproducible number and item cards, as well as a count by 5's and count by 10's path chart, a 100 chart, reproducible pattern blocks (that go with one of the lessons).

The books used are really great...it really is terrific for this age group.

K-3:

Literature-Based Math Activities: An Integrated Approach, Grades K-3 (Instructor Books): 5 Units- number sense and numeration, whole number concepts, geometry-patterns-spatial sense, measurement-money-time, fractions, probability, graphing. It has several reproducible support masters at the back of the book (ie..a game board, grid paper, a number cube, money, etc.). Each unit covers a recommended book, has questions for discussion after the book is read, and has activities that go with the book and concept. Each unit has some type of blackline student page as well. No pages of actual math problems though, like you'd see in a textbook.

Math And Literature, Grades K-1 (Book 1 & Book 2):

I am waiting on these from the library, but from what I've seen of the samples online, they look VERY promising.

Lessons for First Grade (Teaching Arithmetic) by Stephanie Sheffield (co-author of above book), so thought maybe I could use these together? She also wrote Math And Nonfiction, Grades 3-5

Math And Nonfiction, Grades K-2 by Jamee Petersen

There is a book called First-Grade Math: A Month-To-Month Guide that seems like it would go well with the way the books are usually broken down into categories. I may order it, since my library doesn't carry it. Anyone familiar with it??? WOW...now THAT is a LONNNG shot!! :glare: UNLESS you all know of *THE* program I am looking for...PLEASE....so I don't have to try and put my own together:tongue_smilie:! LOL!

Thanks in advance!!

Blessings,

Denise

I've never seen them in person, but Diadax publishes books for the MathStart series:

http://www.amazon.com/Hands-Math-Literature-Mathstart-Level/dp/1583242376/

Diadax's website has a sample lesson available:

http://www.didax.com/shop/productdetails.cfm/ItemNo/2-195.cfm

Wow! Don't know how I missed those. They look really great:thumbup:!

Just when I thought I had it figured out what I was gonna do! LOL!

One problem I have with these guides is, one of my boys is PK/K and the other one is 1st. gr. So I would probably need both guides and both sets of books. I think I can get most if not all of the books through our library, though and the cost of the guides is very reasonable!

Question is, will I have time to do BOTH? Hmmm. Oh...I feel my dreaded "overdoerness" syndrome creeping up on me!! I have two nicknames around here..."Research Queen" and "The Overdoer"! LOL! BUT........what if there's something BETTER out there?!? lol!

I may just do the 1st grader and just let my PK/K'er absorb whatever he can from it and just do his simple Earlybird Kindergarten lessons with him.

Thank you SO MUCH for the information and the links!

Blessings,

Denise :)

Any of the books by Marilyn Burns are great.

"Burns recommends two resources from Math Solutions Publications for K-3 teachers, books one and two of Math and Literature (Grades K-3). Those resources introduce more than 50 children's books that are useful for teaching math ideas and present vignettes of actual classroom lessons that use them, along with samples of student work."

FUNNY!

Those are two of the books I quoted that I'm waiting on from our library. Now I really can't wait to get them! :auto:

I hope all of this gels in my brain soon and I can figure out what to do and HOW to do it! LOL!

Thanks!

Denise