Menu

Help! Rash on my 5-year-old. What could it be?

I was working on school with my older son when my 5-year-old came to me and said, "Mom, are these mosquito bites?" He lifted his shorts and he has nearly 100 tiny red bumps on his upper thighs. They are mostly on one leg, but there are a few on the other leg and a few lower on the worst leg. I don't see any spots elsewhere on his body and he says they don't itch. He has no fever and feels fine. We haven't switched detergents or anything like that. He is unvaccinated.

I don't want to make a trip to the doctor unnecessarily, but if it might be something more serious I definitely want to take him in. We have an appointment with a new doctor on Friday, as our old doc moved away.

Help! I did get a picture, but I have to go load it to the other computer before I can upload it. I'll edit as soon as I can with the picture.

ETA ~ I think we're just dealing with a heat rash. He told me he was wearing a polyester dress-up costume earlier and he has no other symptoms. Though I'm going to keep a close watch on him just in case it is something more serious.

CIMG8131.JPG

Edited by *Jessica*

Sounds like chicken pox to me. My dd got them when she was a baby and it started concentrated in one area and slowly spread. It didn't even occur to me that it was chicken pox until I took her to the dr. Turns out I had a small patch on my back that itched and was shingles. So, she got it from me. :glare: I'm glad she got it naturally and when she was young.

If it's not chicken pox, it could be hives. Although those are usually larger patches and could be caused by almost anything. I have a lot of skin allergies. When I was young I got hives pretty much every summer. My parents never found out what caused them, and they went away on their own with Benadryl. Did you change soap, shampoo, lotion, etc..? Sometimes it can take months to react to a change, so think back to any changes in the last couple of months.

Good luck solving your mystery! :)

Chigger bites? Has he been playing in tall grass?

I don't think we even have chiggers in NY. He hasn't been in any tall grass in any case.

Sounds like chicken pox to me. My dd got them when she was a baby and it started concentrated in one area and slowly spread. It didn't even occur to me that it was chicken pox until I took her to the dr. Turns out I had a small patch on my back that itched and was shingles. So, she got it from me. :glare: I'm glad she got it naturally and when she was young.

If it's not chicken pox, it could be hives. Although those are usually larger patches and could be caused by almost anything. I have a lot of skin allergies. When I was young I got hives pretty much every summer. My parents never found out what caused them, and they went away on their own with Benadryl. Did you change soap, shampoo, lotion, etc..? Sometimes it can take months to react to a change, so think back to any changes in the last couple of months.

Good luck solving your mystery! :)

I hope it is chicken pox, but I doesn't look like it, does it? I want them to get it while they're young.

Don't even the beginning stages of chicken pox itch really bad though? She said he does not itch :confused:

I wondered about that, too. He obviously noticed it somehow, though, because he was wearing shorts and the bumps were't visible until he pulled them up to show me. I have him plopped in front of the tv next to me and he isn't itching.

:confused:

I wondered about that, too. He obviously noticed it somehow, though, because he was wearing shorts and the bumps were't visible until he pulled them up to show me. I have him plopped in front of the tv next to me and he isn't itching.

Here, I found this maybe this will get you somewhere. I have been looking just by what you have said and so far I am up to number 23 with all no's. Maybe you will see something though

Aha! I think maybe it's just a heat rash. I was just informed that he was wearing a dress-up costume earlier. Since they're made of polyester and he has no other symptoms I'm going to assume that's all it is. I'll still watch closely, though.

Thank you to everyone who responded to my panicked post!

Aha! I think maybe it's just a heat rash. I was just informed that he was wearing a dress-up costume earlier. Since they're made of polyester and he has no other symptoms I'm going to assume that's all it is. I'll still watch closely, though.

Thank you to everyone who responded to my panicked post!

Heat rash was my guess too with no fever and no itching present.

Heat rash was my guess too with no fever and no itching present.

It didn't occur to me at first because it's cold here right now and he was wearing loose cotton shorts. I didn't know about the polyester dress-up clothes they were wearing earlier.

Off for lunch and then back to school work, which was abrupty interrupted by my worrying.

Guest mainemomma

Has he been hot? Sometimes in the summer my kids get "prickly heat," it is a simple heat rash and goes away with in a day or two. Usually get it where clothes are covering - for my kids either on their backs or upper legs or bottoms - look up heat rash - it does not itch - if it was chicken pox it would itch so I honestly don't think it's chicken pox. Take care:) ~Christy in Maine