Menu

Our freezer cut off yesterday and we didn't realize it....are these foods okay?

We have an upright deep freezer in our garage and we didn't realize that the breaker had flipped in there yesterday evening. I brought home some food from the grocery store around 6 PM and opened the fridge.....and I didn't even realize that the light was off. :glare: We think the freezer shut off around 5 PM. I opened the door around 6 PM, which let some of the cold air out. We didn't realize that the freezer was turned off until about 10:30 this morning. So it was off for around 17 hours, with the door opened once. :glare:

Thankfully, we don't have much meat in there....only a pack of organic hot dogs. Those do say to keep at 40 degrees or below at all times. I'm not exactly sure what the temp reached in there but everything was still very cold to the touch this morning. Nothing was frozen anymore though. We have a lot of frozen fruits and veggies in there.....broccolli, corn, green beans, peas, cherries, strawberries, etc. They were all soft to the touch, definitely not frozen. Do you think these are okay to eat? I'm thinking they are.....but I wasnt sure about them being thawed and then refrozen?

And DH has a lot of frozen pancakes and waffles that he likes to eat. Those are all soft to the touch as well. Are those okay?

There's also frozen organic pizzas with pepperonis on them. How about these? They were thawing.

I'm so paranoid about food.....the thought of food poisoning freaks me out.....enough that when I eat a food that I *think* something could be wrong with, it makes me feel nauseous LOL.

I thought I'd ask you guys since you are always a wealth of wisdom. :D

I believe my MIL once told me (and I trust her completely in the food area), that the only thing that can't be refrozen once it's COMPLETELY thawed (partially thawed it's ok to refreeze) is meat. Baked good are good to go (pancakes, etc), and I'd refreeze the fruit and veggies.

That's JMO, though!!! :)