Menu

I have a question for the vet techs on the board

The dog I got from a rescue organization at the beginning of July tested positive for hookworm and whipworm. I found out about this AFTER I dogsat a friend's two dogs (I actually got my dog and dog sat on the same day for five days, then I found out a couple of days later that my dog had the worms). I told my friend right away and she did fecal testing on her dogs and they came out negative.

My dog was treated and three weeks later tested negative. He's been fine since.

Last week I took one of my friend's dogs for a week. Today she's noticing that he's scooting his butt on the floor. She's not sure if he's doing this because he was groomed (he's a goldendoodle) a couple days ago, or if it's possible that he's got worms.

My suspicion is that he was infected in July, but was tested too early (within a week of being infected) and we're seeing symptoms of that infection. Could this be the case? If a dog is infected with worms would a test show positive right away, or does it take time for the worms to develop and show up on a test?

Thanks!

P.S. I "get" that my backyard environment can be infected still, especially with the whipworm eggs, but other than keeping it as clean as we do (picking up daily), I can't do anything about it. My dog gets Advantage Multi and I'm hoping that will keep any future infestations at bay. Unfortunately my friend doesn't give her dog anything like that, or Revolution, Heartgard, etc (I'm not sure why since we're in a mosquito area!). Edited to add....does the Advantage Multi actually prevent future reinfestations of hookworm and whipworm? Is it a guarantee?

Edited by 4kids4me

Scooting on the butt is more likely anal glands than worms. Many groomers will express the anal glands when they groom. More than likely it's some irritation from that or that they weren't expressed (emptied) and need to be done.

A fecal exam probably wouldn't hurt either. Most worms cycle on a 3 week basis and retreatment can be necessary. It's been a while since I worked at a vet so I'm not sure how tx's have changed. Whipworms can be harder to get rid of, they can also be harder to diagnose.

Scooting on the butt is more likely anal glands than worms. Many groomers will express the anal glands when they groom. More than likely it's some irritation from that or that they weren't expressed (emptied) and need to be done.

A fecal exam probably wouldn't hurt either. Most worms cycle on a 3 week basis and retreatment can be necessary. It's been a while since I worked at a vet so I'm not sure how tx's have changed. Whipworms can be harder to get rid of, they can also be harder to diagnose.

I'm wondering about the butt scooting b/c that's what my dog did that alerted me that he might have worms!

I've never heard of expressing anal glands, but then again, my dog doesn't get groomed and this is my first dog. :) I'll let my friend know about it. Thanks!

THe likelyhood is the anal sacs are either full, impacted, infected or just irritated(the groomer might have expressed them)

Advantage Multi should help control the situation fro your dog but not your untreated friends dogs http://www.advantage-multi.com/howItWorks.cfm

Which also means that if they have an intestinal parasite they could be constantly reinfecting your yard when you dog sit.

However your friend should have a fecal exam done at least on a yearly basis. 1 week after exposure "might" show in a fecal check but to do a proper time schedule for testing you would do 1 test 3 weeks after possible infection (normally you would treat in that time period anyway) and if it is neg. then you are about 70% certain it is neg.

Then you would do another fecal test about 3-4 weeks later and if it is neg. you are about 85% certain it is neg.

Then do another test about 3-4 weeks later and if neg. you are certain but most do not need to do that many because of the dewormers available and the dewormers available in most heartworm prev.

Personally I would ask your friend to either make sure she gets her dogs stool checked often or make sure that everytime they come over you clean up their stool, right away.

THe likelyhood is the anal sacs are either full, impacted, infected or just irritated(the groomer might have expressed them)

Advantage Multi should help control the situation fro your dog but not your untreated friends dogs http://www.advantage-multi.com/howItWorks.cfm

Which also means that if they have an intestinal parasite they could be constantly reinfecting your yard when you dog sit.

However your friend should have a fecal exam done at least on a yearly basis. 1 week after exposure "might" show in a fecal check but to do a proper time schedule for testing you would do 1 test 3 weeks after possible infection (normally you would treat in that time period anyway) and if it is neg. then you are about 70% certain it is neg.

Then you would do another fecal test about 3-4 weeks later and if it is neg. you are about 85% certain it is neg.

Then do another test about 3-4 weeks later and if neg. you are certain but most do not need to do that many because of the dewormers available and the dewormers available in most heartworm prev.

Personally I would ask your friend to either make sure she gets her dogs stool checked often or make sure that everytime they come over you clean up their stool, right away.

We pick up the dog's poop once a day, so hopefully we're controlling it somewhat in that area.

My friend's dog might reinfect my yard, but I think that if the dog has worms, it was my dog that gave it to him!!! (I say this b/c I have no doubt my dog came with worms, and her dogs fecal test within a few days of being here came out negative, so if the dog did indeed have worms, he got it from my dog and it wasn't early enough to detect).

I'm truly hoping, though, that it's irritated glands. She's taking him to the vet tomorrow...is that something the vet can see???

So now that my dog's been cleared of worms and is on the Advantage Multi, from what I read in the link, even if he's exposed, he really should not be getting those worms again...so I don't have to worry about that...right???

I guess my other question is, when my dog was treated for whipworm and hookworm, he took Drontal Plus, then had another fecal test at 3 weeks and he tested negative. That means FOR SURE he's negative, right? Or could it mean that he's negative for adult worms, but those larvae that would have been laid were not testing and he could possibly be positive still, even though switched him from Revolution to Advantage Multi?

Thanks for your help!