Menu

Anyone have experience with Conceptual Physical Science Explorations?

This is discussed on the webpage here http://www.cpro.cc/homeschool-science.htm as the "new" high school program. I am still debating what to do for my DD, who would technically be in 6th but has finished all her middle school science requirements. I purchased and had planned to do Conceptual Physics, and then maybe Conceptual Chemistry. She announced that she changed her mind and doesn't want to do physics, she just wants to skip to Biology. :lol: So, I'm wondering if I could just do this while she finishes prealgebra/algebra I and then move out of conceptual material?

Edited by melmichigan

Conceptual Physical Science Explorations contains abridged versions of Conceptual Physics (HS Program) and Conceptual Chemistry, plus bits of Earth & Space science written by Hewitt's daughter. The DVD series that goes with the Explorations text is insanely expensive (>$1000, I think), whereas the Conceptual Chem videos are free online. Most of the illustrations and much of the text is identical to the individual Conceptual Physics & Chemistry texts, so if you already have those, IMO there isn't much point in buying the Explorations text as well. (I, of course, did buy the Explorations text, just in case it was different, but it's not. :tongue_smilie:)

Jackie

The Conceptual Physical Science Explorations Alive DVD's are $160 as a 10 DVD set on this site, if it is still active, being sold by the authors versus the publishers. According to that they are a mix of the videos already published for the Conceputal Physics and Conceptual Chemistry books. Are the DVD's worth it for the physics portion? They are also available seperately so I was thinking about just buying the first 4 that cover the physics and using the online for the chemistry, so only $80 plus shipping. Looking at the Conceputal Chemistry site is how I found the above listed site, the authors are advertising their own product for the Conceputal Physical Science Explorations Alive DVD's. :)

Edited by melmichigan