Menu

Apologia Biology

GreenKitty

For those who have used this can you tell me if you need all the materials: Lab materials, dissecting lab materials, dissection specimens. I was planning on getting the books, audio cd and companion cd. Maybe I don't need the companion cd? Is their something else I could use instead? or even an online disecting web site? If their is another way to use this program I'd like to hear about it. Also, if you've used the Cd-Rom version of it I'd like to know how that went. :)

We have enjoyed all the Apologia Sciences we've used so far.

Thanks!

For those who have used this can you tell me if you need all the materials: Lab materials, dissecting lab materials, dissection specimens. I was planning on getting the books, audio cd and companion cd. Maybe I don't need the companion cd? Is their something else I could use instead? or even an online disecting web site? If their is another way to use this program I'd like to hear about it. Also, if you've used the Cd-Rom version of it I'd like to know how that went. :)

We have enjoyed all the Apologia Sciences we've used so far.

Thanks!

We are using it right now. We have the book and the companion cd, which is great for us, I love the graphics.

We bought a microscope and the dissection kit from Home Science Tools. We haven't needed anything for the lab materials that is hard to get, so I'm glad I didn't buy that, we've been able to do all the labs with what we can get here.

I think you wouldn't necessarily need the dissection kit, but, for biology I think part of the "fun" and learning is dissection. Anyway, I'm glad we bought it!

We are using it this year...and my son has used it before…. I updated this year and bought the book, companion cd and the mp3 audio.

We already had the microscope, so we bought only the dissection kit and slides. The rest we can find here.... :)

I guess it depends on how adaptable you are. Do you need things laid out for you or are you okay with piecemeal?

I would shop around for what I could. You can purchase a quality microscope like the Magiscope that is good quality and costs less. The slides are also available for less elsewhere (I believe Rainbow Resource has them for less).

It is a great program!

You'll need the slide kit from the beginning, and the dissection kit in the 2nd semester. Other than those two and the books, all you really need is a good microscope.

CBD has a good price on the actual books. We have the companion cd, but it's really not been all that helpful. I would only get the audio if yours really likes to listen rather than read - we have that, too, but my dd didn't like the guy reading it (I think he reads too slowly for her tastes).

We haven't used the biology coloring books, because Apologia has them draw diagrams of so many different things. I try to avoid having Biology take too long - I could easily tack on so much that it would take 90 min. + each day! I try to keep it under an hour, so we can have a less-packed day.

We really like the flashcard exchange for extra practice in vocabulary. And don't forget Donna Young for help scheduling. We use her vocabulary bookmarks, too.

Other than that, we refer to this site occasionally for extra activities.

Hope that helps!

You'll need the slide kit from the beginning, and the dissection kit in the 2nd semester. Other than those two and the books, all you really need is a good microscope.

CBD has a good price on the actual books. We have the companion cd, but it's really not been all that helpful. I would only get the audio if yours really likes to listen rather than read - we have that, too, but my dd didn't like the guy reading it (I think he reads too slowly for her tastes).

We haven't used the biology coloring books, because Apologia has them draw diagrams of so many different things. I try to avoid having Biology take too long - I could easily tack on so much that it would take 90 min. + each day! I try to keep it under an hour, so we can have a less-packed day.

We really like the flashcard exchange for extra practice in vocabulary. And don't forget Donna Young for help scheduling. We use her vocabulary bookmarks, too.

Other than that, we refer to this site occasionally for extra activities.

Hope that helps!

Helps me and we are already doing it! lol The link to the website is great! I will spend some time this weekedn looking at it.... I tried to leave you good rep... but I have to sling more around before I can give you more.... lol

Thanks!~

I just looked at those biology/zoology/botany coloring books again, and I think I want them! But when would we do them all?

My dd is really balking at doing dissections. Arrrgh! The ironic thing is she's already done a bunch of dissections in years past, at zoo classes. But she is trying to get out of doing them now.

I think the coloring books would be a big help if you didn't do the dissections (but I'm still going to try to make that happen!)