Menu

Another fun chemistry book to add to your collection

Check out Leonard A. Ford's Chemical Magic

Second Edition, Revised by E. Winston Grundmeier. Classic guide provides intriguing entertainment for audiences while elucidating sound scientific principles. Over 100 unusual stunts demonstrate cold fire, dust explosions, a nylon rope trick, a disappearing beaker, a glass dissolving in water and much more. Step-by-step instructions also stress safety precautions.

http://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Magic-Leonard-Ford/dp/0486676285/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283521466&sr=8-1

Listed for high school and college levels, but I think one could use it with junior high as well. Includes high interest labs/demos: Chemical Canon, Exploding Flame, Self-Lighting candles, Spontaneous Fires, Smoke Screens and Explosions, etc.

My boys tend to gravitate to those experiments that are noisy and produce fire or smoke :D There are many other experiments for the more sedate student :001_smile:

This is an inexpensive ($6.95) book and well worth the $$.

I also just got this book. It has some great ideas in it.

However, I would point out two cautions: 1) it requires many chemicals that most everyone won't have 2) the author does not point out many safety concerns (except fire). He assumes that if he tells you to work with concentrated sulfuric acid, you'll know how to safely handle the chemicals, etc.

I've done many of these experiments and look forward to doing more, but some of them even scare me to do.

I also just got this book. It has some great ideas in it.

However, I would point out two cautions: 1) it requires many chemicals that most everyone won't have 2) the author does not point out many safety concerns (except fire). He assumes that if he tells you to work with concentrated sulfuric acid, you'll know how to safely handle the chemicals, etc.

I've done many of these experiments and look forward to doing more, but some of them even scare me to do.

Many of the chemicals can be purchased in very small quantities from places like Homesciencetools.com. And many others are available under other names and can be found in hardware type stores. We get a lot of our chemicals through the local farm/ranch store. The other book WTMers like, Home Chemistry Experiments, has a list of chemical names vs. common trade names. I've found that very useful.

Ds#3 is really into chemistry and has been teaching himself pyrotechnics (fireworks) for the past year. He has found that he can get just about anything online :D It can be rather scary!

Many of the chemicals can be purchased in very small quantities from places like Homesciencetools.com. And many others are available under other names and can be found in hardware type stores. We get a lot of our chemicals through the local farm/ranch store. The other book WTMers like, Home Chemistry Experiments, has a list of chemical names vs. common trade names. I've found that very useful.

Ds#3 is really into chemistry and has been teaching himself pyrotechnics (fireworks) for the past year. He has found that he can get just about anything online :D It can be rather scary!

I have that book too. It's a great spine source. Very worth having.