Menu

Another Phonics Road question

Lisa R

I bought and returned PR1 this summer. I really loved the idea of the program and still do but it seemed like it was going to move pretty fast for my 5 1/2 year old. All the comments I've read say that PR2 is pretty hard for a second grader. I can't imagine reading a Little House book in second grade.

DD is so, so eager to learn to read so I'm starting OPGTR next week and then was thinking of starting AAS and FLL next year.

I'd love any advice you have. I'd really like to make PR work for us but I'm afraid it's a bit too advanced too soon?

Thanks,

Lisa

Next year she'll be 6.5...ideal for PR. Keep in mind that they are Levels, not grades. It's perfectly acceptable to slow down and practice skills until they're solid and carry over one level into the next school year. We do a lot of crossover with PR so we can do just that. If a child has finished PR1, reading Little House was no problem over here and my son was not what I thought was a superior reader. By the time we got through the end of the book, he was flyin'. Remember the story is covered over an entire level, with the child reading about a page a day aloud to you.

If you're planning on using other grammar materials, why not one that will provide outstanding retention and get you started on an excellent road to writing?

My blog has some examples of how we have slowed down, sped up and enjoyed crossing over into science and history. The address is in my siggy.

We started OPG (started at lesson 30 or 31), AAS1, WWE1, and daily handwriting practice when my son was 5.5. Now at 5.9 he is doing very well with Phonics Road 1. He had a beginning phonics understanding and practice with writing. It was enough to get his motor running and ready for the program.

We started OPG (started at lesson 30 or 31), AAS1, WWE1, and daily handwriting practice when my son was 5.5. Now at 5.9 he is doing very well with Phonics Road 1. He had a beginning phonics understanding and practice with writing. It was enough to get his motor running and ready for the program.

Thanks, Tina. Do you think I should still go ahead and use OPGTR this year? She is so eager to read and is a sharp little cookie!

Then just use PR 1 for everything next year?

Lisa

Lisa, I would go ahead and try starting PR 1. It is gentle... only five words to spell per day. I plan to take DS through a basic preschool phonics program and then start PR. HTH!

I'll defer to these two. If you're comfy teaching new phonemes, then I'd switch. If you think you need more scripting to teach the sounds, then I'd stick with OPG. IMHO, it's really all about your confidence in teaching whether or not you begin using PR or not.

Zenz...just to lesson 30 -- cool to know.

Carmen, your experience is valued. I know you've seen and/or tried a lot. Can't wait to watch your little guy go through PR!

Are you saying that you don't currently have PR?

You know, there has been a huge amount of talk about PR lately. If you stick around long you'll see that there is usually something that is the current "big thing".

I am sure it is a great program and if it is sitting on your shelf, sure it might be worth a try. But the other things you have picked are good programs too and if they are working, don't feel like you have to do PR because it is being "talked up" right now.

Mallory, what you said is true about most programs, but I really wouldn't want to miss the PR boat. All In One integrated LA is important to me and it is a huge sigh of relief to have Latin, word roots, etymology, phonics, spelling, grammar, writing and literature all taken care of. I have never seen another program that covers all of these and does it well.

I know this is going to sound argumentative but really, some people will regret missing this one.

I bought and returned PR1 this summer. I really loved the idea of the program and still do but it seemed like it was going to move pretty fast for my 5 1/2 year old. All the comments I've read say that PR2 is pretty hard for a second grader. I can't imagine reading a Little House book in second grade.

DD is so, so eager to learn to read so I'm starting OPGTR next week and then was thinking of starting AAS and FLL next year.

I'd love any advice you have. I'd really like to make PR work for us but I'm afraid it's a bit too advanced too soon?

Thanks,

Lisa

I love Phonics Road but I agree with your assessment that waiting might be a good idea. I started PR1 when my youngest was 6 1/2 and could read. I am glad I did. She got a lot more out of the rules etc and will be more ready for the upper levels as we get there. I do think Little House is very doable for a 2nd grader. That's where we are heading this year and I know she's going to be able to do it, no problem.

Heather

I'm having seller's remorse because I bought it, sold it and now . . .

The PR threads haunt me . . . :001_smile:

These boards are so dangerous!

I have PR 1 sitting here on my shelf. We used it through week 20 or so last year, but we've gone back to our old ways (PP, AAS, WWE, FLL, etc). My son picked up all the phonograms and was doing fine... I just felt that there are so many programs that interest me for down the road (MCT, CW, etc) that while I loved the integrated LA, going with PR long-term meant I wouldn't be trying out other options. Sigh. It really is a great program.

I have PR 1 sitting here on my shelf. We used it through week 20 or so last year, but we've gone back to our old ways (PP, AAS, WWE, FLL, etc). My son picked up all the phonograms and was doing fine... I just felt that there are so many programs that interest me for down the road (MCT, CW, etc) that while I loved the integrated LA, going with PR long-term meant I wouldn't be trying out other options. Sigh. It really is a great program.

At least you still HAVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lucky!!! :001_smile:

Aaahhhh! Y'all are making me crazy, LOL. I borrowed a friend's PR 1 to check it out, and unfortunately, I love it! Unfortunately, b/c I'm frugal, and I already have a phonics curriculum in my hands. I'm currently going through McRuffy K very slowly with my 4yo (no formal handwriting, very relaxed), and he is so much more confident when I dictate words and he has to spell them vs. reading words on a board. I know this is undoubtedly a developmental thing, but regardless, PR 1's method, including teaching him all the phonograms up front, really appeals to me. And I hope to use it in 1st anyway. I don't regret getting McRuffy, b/c it is a fun and solid program...but it seems a bit silly and redundant to use a different method to teach him to read when it's all right there in PR 1. I am relieved to see, however, that so many of you have gone that route and your kid still got a lot out of PR!

So, this is what it feels like to be a new homeschooler! I can see how it can get expensive. :tongue_smilie:

I know this is off topic, but what grades do MCT and CW usually start? I had the idea that MCT would be good for 4th grade or so and we'd theoretically be done with PR by then.

Also, if you start with PR I think you can easily transition to something like SWR for spelling if you wanted to start MCT or CW earlier?

I know this is off topic, but what grades do MCT and CW usually start? I had the idea that MCT would be good for 4th grade or so and we'd theoretically be done with PR by then.

I was thinking of starting MCT and maybe CW in 3rd. That said, when I was using PR, I was still supplementing with OPG and WWE, so it was not as all-in-one for me as I would have imagined. I like the approach to spelling, but it is obviously much more than spelling (especially in the higher levels).

I was thinking of starting MCT and maybe CW in 3rd. That said, when I was using PR, I was still supplementing with OPG and WWE, so it was not as all-in-one for me as I would have imagined. I like the approach to spelling, but it is obviously much more than spelling (especially in the higher levels).

I supplemented PR 1 with WWE but after that all LA is covered.

I just have no inclination to look at MCT or CW anymore now that I see where PR is going. I used to drool over them though.

Ok, can anyone tell me-have any of you gone through PR quicker than she outlines it? If you have an advanced child, how did you work PR?

And I think I'm confused on the reading aspect of the program. Reading isn't recommended until later-end level 1? And then there are books in the program. So how are you guys fitting this in with the Trivium? Reading the PR books for the LA section, but then following the history recommends for History?

Tina, do you think it would be okay to stretch PR 3 or 4 out? 18 months each or 2 school years for 4? I really can't imagine doing Latin Road with a 11 year old 6th grader, and it would make it possible for me to afford other programs (for science and history) that I have my eye on.
Absolutely. The work is strong enough to stretch. We flew through 1 & 2 for my then 4th grader and we are slowing down to regular, daily pace now (now in 5th grade). We will not finish 4 until somewhere in the second half of 6th grade and I find it to be not only sufficient, but desirable for the reason you mentioned and also b/c I find PR is advanced. I can't imagine my dc who used other materials able to analyze literature or be able to complete grammar at such a level. That's why I often suggest the program is LEVEL based and not grade in school based. One may choose to go the grade route, but I suggest it would be with an "honors" student. I tried Latin Road with my other dd in 5th grade and her brain was not quite in the Logic stage. We waited a year and she is blooming now. There is a lot of Latin roots and readiness in PR4, so it falls nicely into the classical folks plan who start Latin in 5th grade.

Aaahhhh! Y'all are making me crazy, LOL. I borrowed a friend's PR 1 to check it out, and unfortunately, I love it! Unfortunately, b/c I'm frugal, and I already have a phonics curriculum in my hands. I'm currently going through McRuffy K very slowly with my 4yo (no formal handwriting, very relaxed), and he is so much more confident when I dictate words and he has to spell them vs. reading words on a board. I know this is undoubtedly a developmental thing, but regardless, PR 1's method, including teaching him all the phonograms up front, really appeals to me. And I hope to use it in 1st anyway. I don't regret getting McRuffy, b/c it is a fun and solid program...but it seems a bit silly and redundant to use a different method to teach him to read when it's all right there in PR 1. I am relieved to see, however, that so many of you have gone that route and your kid still got a lot out of PR!

So, this is what it feels like to be a new homeschooler! I can see how it can get expensive. :tongue_smilie:

He's young now anyways, so I'd wait and take your time through PR. It gives you some time to save the $$$ (insert evilest laugh)

Ok, can anyone tell me-have any of you gone through PR quicker than she outlines it? If you have an advanced child, how did you work PR?

And I think I'm confused on the reading aspect of the program. Reading isn't recommended until later-end level 1? And then there are books in the program. So how are you guys fitting this in with the Trivium? Reading the PR books for the LA section, but then following the history recommends for History?

You can accelerate by doing more than one "scheduled day" (according to the lesson plans) in your school day. Early on, we finished a weeks worth of spelling in one school day and only slowed down in grammar when we needed to. My blog has a post on accelerating.

PR is classical (but still gentle like CM) and will cover ALL aspects of LA in the trivium. You still follow history recs. and do narration for the early years of history. The two subjects can be crossed over, for example, via writing and copywork as your child's skills are at that level.

Remember, you go from the simple readers to the Little House book...a nice place to be reading by the 2nd grade --- chapter book, wholesome story, great vocab.

Edited by johnandtinagilbert

I'm using PR1 with my 13 yods, 9yods and 7yods. My 13yo and 9yo are doing the spelling lists at a rate of about 1 week in one day. My 13yo will continue using the spelling lists only as we go through the rest of the levels. This year I'm using "The Bridge to Latin Road" with him to give him the good grammar base he needs. Not sure we'll do Latin next year or not - I'll have to decide that later. My 9yo will move into PR2 and do all the grammar and comp that is built in - I'm hoping that he'll be able to finish a week's worth in 3 days so that we can continue into PR3 at a quicker pace.

My 7 yo is doing approximately two days worth of work every day so he's going faster than recommended also (he's an "easy" child to teach in that he's always been a bit advanced).

I'm explaining this to show that you can use the program at all kinds of different rates and in different ways. My 13yods was a bit resistant at first but this week I've been seeing the light dawn and heard him singing rules under his breath! Last night he even thanked me for making him do this!

My current K'er is not using PR1 yet. I'm using MFW K with him but I'm teaching him all the sounds of the letters as we go and I'm going to start introducing the vowel teams and consonant teams in the spring and just roll him into PR1 at a rate which is comfortable for him. He's a young K'er (just turned 5 in July) so I am still reluctant to have him doing a "lot" of writing too quickly.

HTH - we are loving PR here.

Are you saying that you don't currently have PR?

You know, there has been a huge amount of talk about PR lately. If you stick around long you'll see that there is usually something that is the current "big thing".

I am sure it is a great program and if it is sitting on your shelf, sure it might be worth a try. But the other things you have picked are good programs too and if they are working, don't feel like you have to do PR because it is being "talked up" right now.

It is so easy to fall on the bandwagon around here and I confess I have been ran over by its wheels and it is a big investment, so I totally hear you and can even click :iagree: SO no argument from me :).....

I will say, I think PR is gem that is not often heard about b/c people dismiss it right away b/c of cost and also b/c many home schoolers want to start inexpensively (which I totally understand). I was never as excited to share about any program b/c I really see the value in this program...especially after piece meal gave me less than desirable results with my first rotation. When I found something that I find this wonderful, I am obliged to share as others have done for me. So, while it appears to be the next big thing, I think for many, it is honestly the first time people have heard about it. I didn't hear about it for 9-10 years of home schooling.

A few years ago, TOG was making a strong appearance on these boards and when the redesigned appeared, the program has Soured...for good reason. I shared about it with local friends and now have several families in the area using it happily with their families. When something that covers so many needs presents itself...you share :)

There's good reason that PR is blooming...it's an amazing program. And no, I'm no salesperson, just a mom who believes in the results of this program and hopes that somebody else will be saved the gaps and issues I had with my Elders. There are other worthy options, no doubt, but PR is better than a passing thing. In my strong and happy to share opinion :) DON'T not pay your light bill to buy it, but if you can skip pizza, those super cute shoes and a few Big Gulps, then it would SO be worth it :D

Mallory, what you said is true about most programs, but I really wouldn't want to miss the PR boat. All In One integrated LA is important to me and it is a huge sigh of relief to have Latin, word roots, etymology, phonics, spelling, grammar, writing and literature all taken care of. I have never seen another program that covers all of these and does it well.

I know this is going to sound argumentative but really, some people will regret missing this one.

:iagree:

I'm using PR1 with my 13 yods, 9yods and 7yods. My 13yo and 9yo are doing the spelling lists at a rate of about 1 week in one day. My 13yo will continue using the spelling lists only as we go through the rest of the levels. This year I'm using "The Bridge to Latin Road" with him to give him the good grammar base he needs. Not sure we'll do Latin next year or not - I'll have to decide that later. My 9yo will move into PR2 and do all the grammar and comp that is built in - I'm hoping that he'll be able to finish a week's worth in 3 days so that we can continue into PR3 at a quicker pace.

My 7 yo is doing approximately two days worth of work every day so he's going faster than recommended also (he's an "easy" child to teach in that he's always been a bit advanced).

I'm explaining this to show that you can use the program at all kinds of different rates and in different ways. My 13yods was a bit resistant at first but this week I've been seeing the light dawn and heard him singing rules under his breath! Last night he even thanked me for making him do this!

My current K'er is not using PR1 yet. I'm using MFW K with him but I'm teaching him all the sounds of the letters as we go and I'm going to start introducing the vowel teams and consonant teams in the spring and just roll him into PR1 at a rate which is comfortable for him. He's a young K'er (just turned 5 in July) so I am still reluctant to have him doing a "lot" of writing too quickly.

HTH - we are loving PR here.

This is a wonderful testimony. Thank you so much for sharing. The bolded part is AWESOME! I had the same experience and giggle each time I hear my older dc join in to the songs.

I'm gonna sound really corny now...I am clearly hormonal today, b/c I've been teary about the silliest things....this makes me so happy to read. I feel like the ring leader to the PR-bandwagon and when I see the success stories, it blesses my soul. I am so glad to see so many prosper from my sharing and it touches my heart, even if it is pumping a little extra estrogen today. So, thank you for sharing your success today.

p.s. Yes, I know it hasn't worked for everyone, but it has for many and each one counts as a blessing to me as do the ones it didn't work for and were able to sell it here :D and move on to what works best for their families.

Guest ed_homeschool_mom
I love Phonics Road but I agree with your assessment that waiting might be a good idea. I started PR1 when my youngest was 6 1/2 and could read. I am glad I did. She got a lot more out of the rules etc and will be more ready for the upper levels as we get there. I do think Little House is very doable for a 2nd grader. That's where we are heading this year and I know she's going to be able to do it, no problem.

Heather

I just ordered PR2 for my second-grader and I can hardly wait to get started! We are just finishing up PR1 from last year. My DS6 is an early-reader so I might have a different perspective if that wasn't the case, but I really like it and the integrated approach. He hates writing though and I found it best to adapt the program to work with his individual learning style. For instance, instance, it worked better for us to have him watch the DVD's (while I working in the kitchen listening) and then have him do the spelling tests in the car. We also went outside and played games with the sounds/letter cards and created more of an "art" notebook by writing out the sounds/letters with frosting, glitter, paint, etc. It was more fun for him and he "got" the lessons better. My encouragement whether you decide to start now or wait is to feel free to adapt it and have it work for you. It's a great, thorough program though.

I just ordered PR2 for my second-grader and I can hardly wait to get started! We are just finishing up PR1 from last year. My DS6 is an early-reader so I might have a different perspective if that wasn't the case, but I really like it and the integrated approach. He hates writing though and I found it best to adapt the program to work with his individual learning style. For instance, instance, it worked better for us to have him watch the DVD's (while I working in the kitchen listening) and then have him do the spelling tests in the car. We also went outside and played games with the sounds/letter cards and created more of an "art" notebook by writing out the sounds/letters with frosting, glitter, paint, etc. It was more fun for him and he "got" the lessons better. My encouragement whether you decide to start now or wait is to feel free to adapt it and have it work for you. It's a great, thorough program though.

Your approach sounds like one might present the program to a non-reader...sounds fun !

Thank you for the ideas!

So a few of you went through PR1 in half a year then?

And then PR2 slows down because it's harder, based on individual?

Do absolutely have to use PR1? What is PR2 based on off PR1, that you must start with PR1, that you can't learn through another phonics program starting out? The rule tunes?

I do know of someone who started with PR 2. They switched from WRTR and were very successful.

PR 1 introduces the method. The rule tunes are all in PR 2. You won't miss them by starting there. If you are using another phonics heavy spelling program, or spelling heavy phonics program, I think the main thing that you miss is a few building codes (sound alike words, ways to spell /er/, 4 on adding suffixes). I think it is possible to start with level 2 if you have been using another OG method and you are aware of the scope and sequence of level 1. (I have it all spelled out on the social group.)