Menu

Thrush on the Mama... how do you get rid of it?

SonshineLearner

GSE (grapefruit seed extract) works wonders! You can get it for $5 at the health food store. It is very bitter and very effective. We overcame thrush in a week with it.

Mama takes 15 drops in a glass of water 3 times a day, and can also put this diluted mix on the breast before and after nursing. If needed, baby can have it diluted in water on a q-tip applied to the white spots. After the thrush is gone, mama should keep drinking it for another week so it doesn't come back.

Also, taking probiotics like acidophilus and others helps the good bacteria to overcome yeast overgrowth. It is naturally in yogurt, but it must be unsweetened, since yeast thrives on sugar. Avoid or cut down on sugar and fruits and carbs and use alkalinizing sweeteners like stevia instead.

I'm very prone to yeast and thrush and have tried everything it seems. I've had some success with gentian violet, gse, using a vinegar wash on my breasts, using lotrimin or nystatin cream topically on my breasts after every feeding (safe to get some in the baby's mouth), but ultimately the only thing that has provided a long term solution is a two-week prescription of fluconazole (diflucan). 200mg/day for 14 days, along with a fluconazole script for the baby. I use lotrimin or nystatin cream in conjunction for the full two weeks. Ibuprofen for pain, if/when it gets too excrutiating. If the baby is taking any bottles, sippy cups, pacifiers, etc, they should be sterilized - boiling water or microwave. Bras and breast pads should be washed in hot water with gse or vinegar added.

It's miserable, give your friend my sympathy. Or empathy? I can never keep those straight. But rest assured, I know just how she feels.

(Oh, she should also consider cutting sugar/caffeine/alcohol from her diet, esp the sugar as the yeast just LOOOOVES sugar. Yeast will cause cravings, then eating those will increase the yeast, and the cycle continues. Ugh.)

HTH,

Melissa

Edited by MelissaMinNC
typos

We had a terrible case a couple of years ago, and tried probiotics and GSE but the only thing that finally worked was gentian violet. And what a mess!

Yes, gentian violet was the only fix here also.

It is SO messy, and be prepared for baby to look rough for a few days so plan accordingly. It stains just like a bruise.

It worked better than any prescription we tried though! Worth the trouble.