Menu

Focussing on the basics.. advice please...

Hedgehog

... especially from those who also tend to over-schedule!

I obviously haven't got this sorted out yet. This may be because we really only started using the Classical method in the middle of last year. I read the WTM carefully, and scheduled a beautiful timetable, somehow also fitting in the activities that we did at the time. And then of course life happened and I couldn't keep up; it was very disheartening; I had been so enthusiastic! Maybe I am trying to fit too much into a day, or maybe I am trying to do too many subjects when I've read more than once on here that "English/Language Arts and Math are essential, and the rest is gravy".

To complicate matters, we are likely moving at the end of the year, and before that happens we have to mostly prepare our house to rent it out as for various reasons we can't sell it at the moment. This means dealing with the front and back yards, which are in chaos, and a number of DIY jobs around the house and a great deal of painting, etc. etc.

And the kids have one activity each (like lots of other kids, I expect) which requires mom's taxi service.

So here's the question: if you had to pare your curriculum down to the essentials, what would it include? ie.. what should I make a priority, and what isn't going to be disastrous if we leave it out for a year?

Have you thought about just getting readers for science/history for your older children that they can read on their own and just discuss with you what they have learnt? I would probably keep up with math, and do a certain amount of language arts just to keep them moving forward. Not sure that is completely clear, so I do hope you get what I mean.

Our priority subjects are math, writing/narration (WWE), grammar (FLL), reading/phonics (Phonics Pathways or Hooked on Phonics, depending on kid and day and my mood, and trade books), spelling (AAS) and Latin. Those are done every day and can be done within 2 hours, with all three boys.

The rest is gravy, though life is such right now that we usually get to all the gravy subjects too. But, I also pared them down - world history/geography is 1-2 days a week (using History Odyssey as my schedule), science is 1-2 days a week (REAL Science - I picked which labs I wanted to do and which I wanted to skip and already have it planned, so a 36 week program became a 28 week program, giving me some flex time), and on Fridays (our light days as our L/A subjects are done for the week) is just Latin (review vocab only), math, and then US history (basically just read aloud), art (Artistic Pursuits) and nature study/walk.

If I needed to seriously pare down the above items, I would just read aloud for history and science (using SOTW as a weekly read aloud - I would only do something extra like a map or drawing if we had time/energy - and I would choose a science focus for a few weeks and get some read aloud books at the library. It'd take about 10-15 minutes a few times a week for the two subjects; it wouldn't be much and very little hands-on, but they would be learning concepts and hearing the stories. I would try to school 4 days a week with curriculum that fit that (like WWE for writing/narration, for instance), and spread those 4 days over five mornings a week so school was only 2 1/2 to 3 hours a day. But, I would definitely keep math and major language arts components (writing, reading and grammar, and maybe spelling if possible). Those are usually the foundations for being able to learn about anything else.

I really think it's the 3R's. Of course, especially as they get older you can use the content subjects to teach the 3R's

DD 10 (6th) R&S Grammar, Spelling Workout, McGuffey Readers, Saxon 6/5, Kingfisher History Encyc. as basic text, Apologia Science, Latin - undecided! Nallenart French, Piano Grade 1

By this age grammar/spelling/reading, while they important, if I really needed a pared down day, I would only use for writing reports. So for this my really short list would be

Saxon

1 history report/week and/or 1 science report/week

(building up from just a paragraph or two to a page or two, and if you like R&S for writing that might be enough)

reading (I'd think real books over readers by this age, but that is just a personal preference, but in a short list it is also an easy way to add content subjects)

DD 8 (4th) R&S Grammar, Spelling Workout, McGuffey Readers, Saxon 5/4, SOTW, Apologia Science, Latin - undecided! Nallenart French, Piano Prep

Again if R&S is your writing, then the shortest list would be

R&S

Saxon 4/5

Reading (you could do SOTW for "reading")

DS 5 (K) Explode the Code primers, Usborne readers, Saxon 1

Depending on his strengths, either focusing on math or reading, at least for my kids they seem to be really ahead in one or the other of these at this age and working on strengths works so much better for us at this age.

So my short list would be either

ETC or Saxon

DD 2 lots of discovering, playing and mischief!

Is there any way you could cut down on the mischief because I really think that would make your days easier :D (and if you find out how to keep 2yos out of mischief be sure to tell us all your secret ;))

Thanks for your thoughts.

When you say Language Arts, do you just mean English (Spelling, Grammar, Handwriting, Reading) or would you include Latin/French in that as well?

Have you thought about just getting readers for science/history for your older children that they can read on their own and just discuss with you what they have learnt?

I would just read aloud for history and science (using SOTW as a weekly read aloud - I would only do something extra like a map or drawing if we had time/energy - and I would choose a science focus for a few weeks and get some read aloud books at the library.

My MIL just suggested that too - I have a great, positive, encouraging MIL who homeschooled dh! - so I am thinking that we could stick with SOTW - we have the Audio CDs as well for if we have a long-ish car journey, and Apologia Science. They could always do some activities by themselves if I'm not available to help out for the time being.

Those are usually the foundations for being able to learn about anything else.

Absolutely. And being relatively new to all this Classical stuff (!) I think we could really use concentrating on that.

Ah yes.. two more things.. well two more sections really! What about memorization, and narrations/dictation/copywork??? How important are they?

For me, only English subjects are part of language arts. We also have committed to studying Latin (and eventually other languages), so that is part of our core. But, if that commitment was not there, I'd ditch foreign language ("living" or "dead") until life settled down a bit.

I find memory work and narration/dictation/copywork very important. For memory work, we do that together as a family either at lunch or at dinner (if I forget). All of us, dh included, love memorizing poems and lists of things. I find it great mental exercise and hopefully some of what we memorize now will stick with them (and us) for years to come. I find the prep for memory work is actually more cumbersome that the actual memorizing - it takes us about 10 minutes a day to pull out the binder and go through our pieces. Typically we have 2-3 pieces that are worked on daily until everyone has them down, and then we have 1-2 pieces for each day of the week and/or day of the month that are review.

Our copywork/narration/dictation right now are built into what we use for L/A - WWE and spelling. This school year, ds#1 will be ending most of his current L/A (WWE will end unless level 5 is published by next fall, FLL 4 will be done, AAS will probably be done), so I'm going to need to see where to go from there. But, I have found that between narrating (can be done orally in about 5 minutes after reading something together - even reading a paragraph or two from SOTW and then pausing for a quick narration before continuing), dictation and copywork, my older two boys have grown tremendously in their language arts abilities and it is starting to spill over into other subjects as well as any writing they do on their own. So, finding a way or a curriculum that incorporates those skills is a huge plus, in my opinion. And, combining what you can helps too (ds#1 and ds#2 are two grade levels apart, but they do the same Latin, memory work, history, science, and art - the only things on their own are math and L/A).

I really think it's the 3R's. Of course, especially as they get older you can use the content subjects to teach the 3R's

DD 10 (6th) R&S Grammar, Spelling Workout, McGuffey Readers, Saxon 6/5, Kingfisher History Encyc. as basic text, Apologia Science, Latin - undecided! Nallenart French, Piano Grade 1

By this age grammar/spelling/reading, while they important, if I really needed a pared down day, I would only use for writing reports. So for this my really short list would be

Saxon

1 history report/week and/or 1 science report/week

(building up from just a paragraph or two to a page or two, and if you like R&S for writing that might be enough)

reading (I'd think real books over readers by this age, but that is just a personal preference, but in a short list it is also an easy way to add content subjects)

So to use History and Science as part of English.. I know this really but am still getting to grips with the practicalities of it.. This dd is reading abridged versions of Pride and Prejudice and Little Women - does that sound about right for her age?

]DD 8 (4th) R&S Grammar, Spelling Workout, McGuffey Readers, Saxon 5/4, SOTW, Apologia Science, Latin - undecided! Nallenart French, Piano Prep

Again if R&S is your writing, then the shortest list would be

R&S

Saxon 4/5

Reading (you could do SOTW for "reading")

My 8yo dd is a math/science lover and I'm on the verge of having her do the same in those areas as her older sister. She just doesn't have any trouble with it. But English.. well.. no. She does struggle there. We surely do need some basic practice.

DS 5 (K) Explode the Code primers, Usborne readers, Saxon 1

Depending on his strengths, either focusing on math or reading, at least for my kids they seem to be really ahead in one or the other of these at this age and working on strengths works so much better for us at this age.

So my short list would be either

ETC or Saxon

This is the one I might have put into a Steiner Kindergarten, but now we are moving (for the umpteenth time!) I don't feel it's worth having him go there for 3 months only to take him away from it - it really doesn't seem fair.

ds enjoys the little books and worksheets we've done in the past and he is finally getting a little easier.. although he definitely needs his outdoors time!! :willy_nilly:

DD 2 lots of discovering, playing and mischief!

Is there any way you could cut down on the mischief because I really think that would make your days easier :D (and if you find out how to keep 2yos out of mischief be sure to tell us all your secret ;))

PLEASE could someone give me the secret of how to at least reduce the mischief making of my delightful but frustrating 2yo! She is such a princess when she's happy and good but when she's bad everyone in the house just wants to scream!

For me, only English subjects are part of language arts. We also have committed to studying Latin (and eventually other languages), so that is part of our core. But, if that commitment was not there, I'd ditch foreign language ("living" or "dead") until life settled down a bit.

This is the one and only area in which my MIL and I don't agree re HS. I really want to do Latin with the kids, and also French, she actually doesn't really see the point of any of it. We agree to disagree. I suppose the question is, can it be left for 3mos, or even a year, without that being a major disadvantage? I've been presented with the idea that the earlier languages are learned, the better. So I am little concerned that I am only going to make it harder for my dc if we wait. Having said that, I didn't start French until I was 12, and then did very well at it. But I'm more a L/A person than a Math person, for sure.

I find memory work and narration/dictation/copywork very important. For memory work, we do that together as a family either at lunch or at dinner (if I forget). All of us, dh included, love memorizing poems and lists of things. I find it great mental exercise and hopefully some of what we memorize now will stick with them (and us) for years to come. I find the prep for memory work is actually more cumbersome that the actual memorizing - it takes us about 10 minutes a day to pull out the binder and go through our pieces. Typically we have 2-3 pieces that are worked on daily until everyone has them down, and then we have 1-2 pieces for each day of the week and/or day of the month that are review.

Our copywork/narration/dictation right now are built into what we use for L/A - WWE and spelling. This school year, ds#1 will be ending most of his current L/A (WWE will end unless level 5 is published by next fall, FLL 4 will be done, AAS will probably be done), so I'm going to need to see where to go from there. But, I have found that between narrating (can be done orally in about 5 minutes after reading something together - even reading a paragraph or two from SOTW and then pausing for a quick narration before continuing), dictation and copywork, my older two boys have grown tremendously in their language arts abilities and it is starting to spill over into other subjects as well as any writing they do on their own. So, finding a way or a curriculum that incorporates those skills is a huge plus, in my opinion. And, combining what you can helps too (ds#1 and ds#2 are two grade levels apart, but they do the same Latin, memory work, history, science, and art - the only things on their own are math and L/A).

This whole thing I really struggle with. When I read about it in the WTM, it was a new concept to me entirely. I'd never had anything like that myself in school, or seen it done since. I know the theory but the practice has been long winded and tiresome at best. I've been trying to find and then read any posts on here that have made mention of it.

Our priority subjects are math, writing/narration (WWE), grammar (FLL), reading/phonics (Phonics Pathways or Hooked on Phonics, depending on kid and day and my mood, and trade books), spelling (AAS) and Latin. Those are done every day and can be done within 2 hours, with all three boys.
Gracious, your 3 boys truly are wonders. It would be the best day of my life if my 3 could accomplish those subjects in that period of time. I'm green with envy.

As far as the question at hand, I consider the 3 R's (reading, (w)riting, and 'rithmetic) and spelling to be the essentials. Grammar has a high priority, and then history and science. We do Bible every day, too, but that's not a priority for all families. There are lots of other subjects we do daily or several times/week, but the 3 R's and spelling have the most weight in our schedule.

Good luck with your big year!

As far as the question at hand, I consider the 3 R's (reading, (w)riting, and 'rithmetic) and spelling to be the essentials. Grammar has a high priority, and then history and science. We do Bible every day, too, but that's not a priority for all families. There are lots of other subjects we do daily or several times/week, but the 3 R's and spelling have the most weight in our schedule.

Good luck with your big year!

Thank you :001_smile: I actually don't mind moving and being in a new place.. I like change.. it's all the donkey work before hand that is very tiring!

I wasn't sure how many people were Christian, and I don't want to offend anyone, but yes some kind of Bible time every day is really important to us. (I think I might start a new thread because I have a few questions to ask about that.)

Since you're committed to doing Latin and you're going to be pressed for time, I'd consider using a program that has a teacher on DVD. Then you don't have to sit and learn it first in order to teach your dc. Also, they could take it on the road in a portable DVD player or laptop. Take my idea w/ a grain of salt; we'll be just beginning Latin in the next 2 weeks here.

I just want to say again that these are my really cut down recomendations. There is plenty of time, this is a crazy year for you guys and there will be lots of time to pick up what you miss (grammar will still be there, so will latin, or piano). Yes,some years I have had to repeat this to myself.

When you say Language Arts, do you just mean English (Spelling, Grammar, Handwriting, Reading) or would you include Latin/French in that as well?

If you think latin is really adding to English vocab/grammar/usage then some count it for those subjects. We don't do latin only spanish, and while we play around with it at other times of the day, if we needed a cut back year then we wouldn't do formal foriegn language.

What about memorization

For us, not during a scaled down year, any more than we might already be doing for some subjects (maybe parts of speech or math facts, I wouldn't add in poems or lists from history).

narrations/dictation/copywork???

This is our writing/grammar/spelling program for the younger years. It looks to me like you don't have any kids that need this right now. Your 5yo may be close (can he form all of the letters?) and your oldest is past it. If you aren't using R&S for writing then your 8yo is probably a good age for narrations and dictation, but again, in a trimmed down year I would pick either one or the other.

So to use History and Science as part of English.. I know this really but am still getting to grips with the practicalities of it.. This dd is reading abridged versions of Pride and Prejudice and Little Women - does that sound about right for her age?

There is so much variation in abriged versions that it is hard to say, and while my kids are all similar ages to yours (10, 9, 4, and 2) my oldest two are boys and I can not see them picking up either of those ;) But I think if you are really counting her 6th grade then it seems to me that Little Women should be able to be read in an unbriged version. My almost 11yo (who I count in 5th grade) reads unabriged versions of things like White Fang.

This is how you do it-

Assign a page or chapter of Kingfisher or SOTW or Apologia

Talk about what they read

Have them write about what they read- starting where they are and working up- My 9 can do a sentance or two, my 10yo can do a paragraph or two.

Use thier writing to learn about grammar/usage/spelling-ENGLISH! You'll know what they really do know and what they don't, and you'll practice the right way when you edit together. As they get older/better at it you can make a note of how many errors there are in spelling, grammar, and puctuation and have them find thier own errors.

But English.. well.. no. She does struggle there. We surely do need some basic practice.

I did mean you should do R&S Grammar, maybe I wan't very clear. If she is doing some writing then you can't avoid practicing spelling and if she reads well then I feel that living books can add some of those subjects you might not be getting too. Again, I do think spelling and planned readers have their place in a good education, but if you really need things cut down and you are other wise reading and writing then for most kids a year break from formal studies in those aren't going to set them back.

PLEASE could someone give me the secret of how to at least reduce the mischief making of my delightful but frustrating 2yo! She is such a princess when she's happy and good but when she's bad everyone in the house just wants to scream!

I have started a basic workbox system for both my 4 and 2yo. And while it doesn't keep her busy our whole school day, it helps a little. Right now thier drawers have magnetic letters, a couple puzzles, a folder with MEP reception year math in it, and a couple sticker books. I boxed up several of thier things so I can keep things rotated in thier drawers and it buys us a little time. Other than that I just rotate the big kids through watching the littles. (But none of this is 100%, 2 yos come with messes:tongue_smilie:)

I really want to do Latin with the kids, and also French, I suppose the question is, can it be left for 3mos, or even a year, without that being a major disadvantage? Having said that, I didn't start French until I was 12, and then did very well at it.

Well obviously if you wait for a foriegn language then there is still plenty of time to learn it. How comfortable are you with French? An easy way we do spanish is to make it part of our day, instead of part of school. So for this month I have been using spanish as we get up and eat breakfast, only saying things like "Time to get up", "Put away the milk", or "Brush your teeth" in spanish. I also try to add a few phrases in spanish that I use a lot "Close the door", "What time is it?", or "please" and use them a lot. Again I really think it is important to study the grammar of another language, but for younger children this is good too.

Would you have your dc do the same subject side by side (or together if they were at the same level) or separate it - maybe according to what they find most difficult or time-consuming?

Each kid has a weekly schedule, it is split into morning subjects (red in this list) and afternoon subjects (blue). My 10yo has

Writing

Math

Memory Work

Spelling

Spanish

Drawing

Reading

History

Science

On thier schedules I write what they are supposed to do in the first column (so math might say 4 pages/day) and when it is done they write in the box for each day so under day 1 across from math he might write p.58.

I've always started with the youngest and worked up. So I get my 8yo morning things done while the 14yo and 10yo work independantly (or they might help with the littles, but usually we can all get some work done). Then I do my 11yo morning work, while the 8yo plays with the littles. It is usually lunch by then and I work with the 14 after lunch and after that I get the boys back for History and Science.

Doing the same subject at the same time has never worked for us, usually because the amount of me they need in one subject is the same.

Since you're committed to doing Latin and you're going to be pressed for time, I'd consider using a program that has a teacher on DVD. Then you don't have to sit and learn it first in order to teach your dc. Also, they could take it on the road in a portable DVD player or laptop. Take my idea w/ a grain of salt; we'll be just beginning Latin in the next 2 weeks here.

Trust me I would LOVE to be able to do this! It is a great idea! The problem we'd have is that any DVD produced in the US isn't compatible with our DVD players in the UK - it's a different Region. (I have no idea what that means technically, I just know I can't use them here.) I haven't yet found a UK published/produced Latin program that has a DVD, but if anyone knows of one please shout...

Gracious, your 3 boys truly are wonders. It would be the best day of my life if my 3 could accomplish those subjects in that period of time. I'm green with envy.

Ah, well we have our days, that is for sure. But, it has taken me the last couple years to really get a good routine - each year getting a little easier. And for some reason with mine, the more that are doing formal school, the easier it is; I think it is mostly my ds#1's attitude that he's no longer the only one doing school.

Would you have your dc do the same subject side by side (or together if they were at the same level) or separate it - maybe according to what they find most difficult or time-consuming?

We tend to do the same subjects at the same time; I think only because it's easier on my brain. :lol: I also, though, I have one of those magazine-type holders for each boy of independent work that they pull out if need be. So, right now for reading ds#1 is doing HOP Master Reader, which is computer based, so while he does that, I can do Phonics Pathways with ds#2 (ds#3 just floats between us and sometimes does his own phonics after his brothers if he wants). But, if both older boy is doing PP, I will have one work on independent work (handwriting, Explode the Code, math drill sheets) while the other does 10 minutes of phonics and then we switch. Math is the same way ... a lot of days seem to work that one just has workbook problems to do and can start independently while I give a lesson to the other. At this time I tend to give ds#3 a white board and marker to practice letters or numbers or just to doodle. If both older boys need a math lesson, then one does independent work for about 5 minutes while I get the other one started. Once the older two are working on their workbook problems, then I can do something with ds#3.

Spelling is done together - the older two are at different levels, but I just take turns dictating words to each of them or sentences. If I need to introduce a new concept, both listen (it's good review for ds#1 and a good sneak peek for ds#2). Usually by this time ds#3 is watching a Leap Frog video or playing, but otherwise if he's with us in the kitchen, he's doing some PreK type page/book (we use the Kumon books a lot).

I have our WWE worked out that one is doing narration with me while the other is doing copywork in their own. I know ds#1 is supposed to be doing dictation from WWE by now (he's in level 4), but was not ready yet for it, plus he gets dictation every day with spelling. So, I'm still okay with him copying complex sentence passages instead of doing it from dictation - I think he's still benefitting.

First Language Lessons is the hardest - usually one kid gets to go play with ds#3 while the other does grammar. It's actually a big reason why I'm considering having ds#1 do Growing with Grammar 4 instead of FLL 4 at the new year, just to free up a little me-directed learning with him.

Overall, it's much easier to me to have them all do the same subjects at the same time. I try and work it that I can alternate days when they need me (usually I can even make this work with math by doing two lessons with one boy and thus buying me an extra day of them being able to work right out of their workbooks).

Wow.. Mallory.. thank you for the time you spent on that post!

I would prefer to stick with the books/curricula that we already have (what's in my signature, basically) as dh is not going to be happy about spending yet more money unless there's a very good reason for it! So we'll be continuing with R&S Grammar for the duration and I'm quite happy with that anyway as I think it's a good program. My 8yo - who is half way through the Grade 2 book - already knows more Grammar than I do. I am of the generation here in the UK who were taught no English Grammar, no Math facts, no spellings, only printing for handwriting etc. etc. It can be frustrating at times. :glare:

This is how you do it-

Have them write about what they read- starting where they are and working up- My 9 can do a sentance or two, my 10yo can do a paragraph or two.

Use thier writing to learn about grammar/usage/spelling-ENGLISH! You'll know what they really do know and what they don't, and you'll practice the right way when you edit together. As they get older/better at it you can make a note of how many errors there are in spelling, grammar, and puctuation and have them find thier own errors.

How would you deal with the fact that my 10yo, despite finding L/A easy enough, is very reluctant to do this? I know she can do it, but she does make a meal of it. Maybe it's just a matter of practice.

I have started a basic workbox system for both my 4 and 2yo. And while it doesn't keep her busy our whole school day, it helps a little. Right now thier drawers have magnetic letters, a couple puzzles, a folder with MEP reception year math in it, and a couple sticker books. I boxed up several of thier things so I can keep things rotated in thier drawers and it buys us a little time. Other than that I just rotate the big kids through watching the littles. (But none of this is 100%, 2 yos come with messes)

Do you have the workbox and your younger ones with you as you're teaching the older ones? If I let my 2yo loose with a box of exciting things, she'd have them out and all over the house in no time.

I've always felt a bit guilty if I ask the older kids to watch the younger ones, no matter what I'm doing. But recently I learned about the Duggar family (18 kids? 19?) and how they operate what they call a buddy system where an older child is assigned to help a younger child with daily activities, so maybe this is the way to go.

I've always started with the youngest and worked up. So I get my 8yo morning things done while the 14yo and 10yo work independantly (or they might help with the littles, but usually we can all get some work done). Then I do my 11yo morning work, while the 8yo plays with the littles. It is usually lunch by then and I work with the 14 after lunch and after that I get the boys back for History and Science.

I like this idea...

We tend to do the same subjects at the same time; I think only because it's easier on my brain.

Doing the same subject at the same time has never worked for us, usually because the amount of me they need in one subject is the same.

See that's (one of!) my conflict(s) - swapping from one subject to another depending on what they're doing is hard for me, and yet I also find it difficult to focus on the individual child's needs if I teach more than one at a time. (Think, think.. said Pooh!)

Anyway.. thank you all so much for your thoughts and the time you've spent helping me out.. but I'm afraid it is late here in the UK and I'm off to bed! But will be checking back in tomorrow to see if there are any other suggestions.

Thanks again x

I really don't think your family will follow any of my ideas exactly, I am just giving you some options and maybe you will find a way that works for your family.

How would you deal with the fact that my 10yo, despite finding L/A easy enough, is very reluctant to do this? I know she can do it, but she does make a meal of it. Maybe it's just a matter of practice.

To be fair this

Have them write about what they read

Use thier writing to learn about grammar/usage/spelling-ENGLISH!

would be 2 or 3 days of work for my 10yo. Read and talk about, maybe even jot an outline on one day, draft on another, and edit the 3rd. Ideally offset from one another so that the draft days aren't on the same day.

So he might read history and edit last weeks literature paper on Mon, write history and read science and start new literature on Tue, edit history and write science and keep reading literature on Wen, and so on.

Do you have the workbox and your younger ones with you as you're teaching the older ones? If I let my 2yo loose with a box of exciting things, she'd have them out and all over the house in no time.

Yes they are in the room with us. She also isn't quite the messer that some of my others have been; She will actually sit an play with the magnets on the white board. My 4yo sure didn't at 2, so I can also understand that she might not be ready for so many small pieces. But I think that putting away some/many/most of her toys and only bringing out 3 or 4 a week at least makes them somewhat more entertaining so that might be worth a try.

I've always felt a bit guilty if I ask the older kids to watch the younger ones, no matter what I'm doing. But recently I learned about the Duggar family (18 kids? 19?) and how they operate what they call a buddy system where an older child is assigned to help a younger child with daily activities, so maybe this is the way to go.

For us, building family relationships is a huge part of why we homeschool. I do try to keep on top of how my children are relating to each other, and I don't want them to feel like they get stuck with thier little siblings all the time, but I can also see how it is good for all of them to work together. Not only do my big kids get the good feelings that come from helping our family and being responsible, but they also get the good feelings that come from having a little kid look up to you.

Also when my kids are given the option of school, chores, or playing with one of the littles, I don't think they have ever picked school or chores. When my 9yo has finished his morning school he is glad to take the littles out in the yard, or make train tracks, or even read books.

I'm going to bed too, Good Night.

My core would just be English, PE and maths, with books from the library to round it out.

A story about languages. Calvin just started at school in year 10, so the beginning of the GCSE course. One of his GCSEs is French. His French background is: just over a year of reasonably consistent study using Galore Park French - we got part way into the second book - plus a bit of concentrated study from a grammar book (Skeleton French) to learn the present, perfect, imperfect, immediate future and future tenses. He was put into the top stream for French (based on nothing at all) and he's doing fine, he says. Now he has learned other languages, so he has a feel for how language learning works, but if I were pushed for time, I wouldn't worry about leaving foreign languages for a bit and picking them up after the move.

Best wishes

Laura