Menu

Anyone who supplement or replaces science in HOD?

blessedmom3

I am thinking to supplement the science part in HOD . Would BJU science work or it would add too much time to the program ? Looking ahead for Preparing & up .

When I look at the science in HOD I just do not have peace using it as is . It looks very light compared to the Scope&Sequence of other programs ( BJU , Abeka) . I do not care for younger grades but 3rd grade &up we are required to test and HOD science just does not seem enough.

I would appreciate any input !

Edited by blessedmom3

What level of HOD are talking about? We are doing Beyond along with Apologia zoology1, and I plan to go through all the apologia elementary books with the kids. I think the science in LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG might be a bit light. It is adequate though. The older grades of which I have no experience seem fine to me they both use Apologia along with a few other books. LHFHG, and BLHFHG only have science 2x a week, but starting in Bigger hearts science is daily, and includes reading, experiments, and notebooking.

I am talking about all levels but more specific Preparing & up. I am ok with a lighter science under 3rd or 4th grade . However , when looking at HOD older levels just don't compare with a regular Scope&Sequence from other programs . But maybe I am wrong . That's why I ask for opinions from veterans :)

I guess I am just concerned since we are required to test . I have looked at Abeka and BJU S&S for grades 4-7 and it just does not line up with HOD Preparing , CTC or RTR . Maybe is it because HOD focuses more on history ?

For my family science is more important as I have a background on it but I do not have the time and energy to create my own or pull from other resources .

Also I like the Christian basis in HOD .

We don't have to test. However, what do you think they'd be missing? We're doing Preparing and I think it's pretty deceptive in it's coverage. But I know when you have to battle the ridiculous standards, it doesn't matter.

If you could find out what else they need and add or beef up what ever is there I suppose that would be better than starting fresh. I know ps has certain topics in certain grades, don't they? Because we're doing right now in Preparing, vertebrates and invertebrates, protists/monera and this is in the 3rd unit under Arctic Tundra. So topics are really hidden in HOD.

If you do an Apologia type or even God's Design, you're basically doing one type of science all year, which may put them not at the state standards level either, because you're either doing biology, or zoology or which means in testing they may not have the "other" stuff you didn't do.

So I don't think HOD is lacking, but I do think you need to find out what is exactly in state standards and really read over HOD's science. Remember when reading the standards, it all sounds a lot more important than it really is.

You're actually required to test for science? We are only required to test for 3rd,5th,8th, and 10th and only on English and Math. I do not see how even public school kids could all take the same test for science and pass, since they all teach different things. I went to public school only for 4th-6th grade, and I can tell you the Science we covered was minimal at best.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I am using Preparing this year for my 5th grader. I am using Christian Kids Explore Biology to beef it up a little. I would feel totally comfortable using it as is if he was in 3rd or 4th grade. The science does actually have a focus and teach a fair amount of material. You could just get some extra books from the library on the topic you're studying to add to it easily.

I am only supplementing for my 7th grader b/c I feel like he does need more at this age. We are using The Rainbow for science for him. I am not supplementing for my 4th and 5th graders. It seems sufficient. However, I do have CKE Earth and Space on hand and my neighbor has Zoo 1 if we feel the need for more. I should also say that we plan to implement a nature study on Fridays since Preparing is a 4 day program.