Menu

More Common App redundancy

Maura in NY

On the Homeschool Supplement, there is a section with blanks for the transcript information, but it includes dates each class was started and ended and a tiny spot for textbook. There isn't a yellow dot next to the transcript section, so I assume it is required.

Then there is a place in the Secondary School Report supplement to upload a transcript. I'd rather do this.

Am I correct that I can just leave the Transcript section blank on the Homeschool Supplement, and upload my own document under the Secondary School Report?

Let me know what you think/did.

Thanks,

Maura

That is what I did, adding a note to look in the other section.

Last year's Common App had a rigid form for the transcript in the homeschool supplement. My son's transcript did not fit their form which had assumed four credits of science, four of foreign language, etc. I called one of the Admissions Offices to tell them of my difficulty. They agreed that it would be better to attach the transcript in the Secondary School report.

When in doubt, call your admissions officer.

Did you both mail the application? Because there isn't a way to put a note in the transcript section online. But since it isn't marked as required, I think I'm fine doing it this way.

Since it's the "Common" app, asking the admissions counselor won't work for us -- Ds is applying to 8 schools, of varying sizes and familiarity with homeschooling.

Thanks,

Maura

Last year's Common App had a rigid form for the transcript in the homeschool supplement. My son's transcript did not fit their form which had assumed four credits of science, four of foreign language, etc. I called one of the Admissions Offices to tell them of my difficulty. They agreed that it would be better to attach the transcript in the Secondary School report.

When in doubt, call your admissions officer.

I just filled this out for my dd and I emailed them about that very question (too many classes for the number of blanks). They told me just to upload it on the secondary school report.

Did you both mail the application? Because there isn't a way to put a note in the transcript section online. But since it isn't marked as required, I think I'm fine doing it this way.

Since it's the "Common" app, asking the admissions counselor won't work for us -- Ds is applying to 8 schools, of varying sizes and familiarity with homeschooling.

Thanks,

Maura

Yes, I mailed all the guidance counselor paperwork the old-fashioned way. My dd and her recommenders used the Common App online system, though.

My main reason for mailing everything was that I wanted to tailor the guidance counselor letter for some of dd's schools. The online system only allows you to submit one version of everything.

~Kathy

Last year's Common App had a rigid form for the transcript in the homeschool supplement. My son's transcript did not fit their form which had assumed four credits of science, four of foreign language, etc.

Two years ago, I did what Jane did, but I didn't consult any admissions officers ahead of time. On the first line in each section of the homeschool supplement transcript form, I entered "see transcript attached with secondary school report".

None of the 8 colleges my son applied to questioned it. I submitted everything electronically, and it was fine that way.

Best wishes,

Brenda