Menu

For those of you who use CW

runningirl71

To round out language arts this year with Aesop A we used:

SWO

R&S grammar

dictation

Of those 3 I think the only necessary one would probably be a spelling program if your 5th grader still needs one. The grammar in Aesop is sufficient. We added a second grammar program simply because my DD needed the additional practice. We did daily dictation because she needed to work on her penmanship. The only other thing you might consider adding would be a weekly history or science written narration since CW only has you writing every 2nd week. HTH

We're starting Aesop next year and will be adding in both spelling and grammar. Spelling is AAS, because she needs it. Grammar is GWG3, because she wants it. :) I'll also have her doing narrations for history, science, and literature so she's doing some kind of writing each week.

My soon-to-be 5th grader will only be using Spelling Power with Aesop B. There is plenty of grammar and I prefer not to double up subjects if I can avoid it. :cool: It keeps our days short and sweet. If his spelling was wonderful, I'd drop that. His older brother is not doing spelling with Homer; he's currently using GWG 5 but we'll switch to Harvey's in a month. That's one reason I love Classical Writing. It's a full English program. :001_tt1:

My 10 yr old ds does GUM grammar workbooks alongside CW. His strong suit is English, so he works through these on his own. It covers a very broad spectrum of grammar superficially, I find, lol, but it covers a lot of topics that aren't really covered in CW, like letter writing, or that are covered differently.

If my ds wasn't naturally proficient, like if I had to spend time each day going over the GUM lesson in detail and all, I would re-think this.

He also does Spelling Workout, again largely on his own.

He does Zaner-Bloser Handwriting, and since he finished that book a month or so ago I've been printing out history-related copywork.

He also writes summaries for history, and bits here and there for science (we do the WTM method for these).

hth!

Kate