Menu

Does anyone have their dc outline or take notes from Apologia General Science lessons

battlemaiden

We are just starting out and I'm considering having ds (11) do outlines of the daily readings.

Does this seem like overkill considering the "on you own" writings and study guide questions? I'm already wondering how we'll get module 1 done in 2 weeks.

Thanks for sharing your General Science experience.

Jo

Module 1 really needs 3 weeks instead of 2 because there is so much information included. The student will have a long list of things to memorize for the test so having the additional time will help them be successful.

I had my dd take notes in General Science because just reading the text and doing the OYO questions did not translate into *knowing* the information for the test. Doing the study guide "open note" was helpful too. I printed the study guide from the text, then had her answer as many questions as she could from memory. Anything she didn't remember she could use her notes. If she still couldn't answer the question, she was allowed to use her text.

This was helpful because it she could see what things were important to note from the next and other information that she noted by was not on the test. I also gave her a study day between the study guide and taking the test. At the beginning of each module, I had her use the study guide to make flash cards for the vocabulary that she would need to memorize. This helped a lot inside of waiting until she got to the words while reading the text. She also did any experiments as she came to them in the text.

Her 10 day schedule was usually:

Day 1 - Write up vocabulary flashcards and read/take notes/do OYO.

Day 2 - 6 - Review flashcards & notes and read/take notes/do OYO.

Day 7 - Catch up Day (this was an extra day in case we missed science for some reason). Otherwise review flashcards & notes.

Day 8 - Complete Study Guide

Day 9 - Review for Test

Day 10 - Take Test

it's because I've either made out my own note-taking worksheet for him (notebook paper and pen and lots of blank space - nothing professional!)

*or*

I've high-lighted or underlined things he needs to take notes on.

It is getting better, but esp. at the beginning of the year he had a very hard time separating the "important stuff" from the "fluff". LOL - He used to think it was ALL important; now he thinks it's all fluff!

The other thing we do now is to do the On Your Own questions orally, and I try to have him answer in complete sentences and expand to include the reason for his answer. And every other day or so I orally quiz him on the Study Guide questions.

I know these things defeat the independence-ness of the program, but it makes for much less stress here!

Best wishes!

Rhonda

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beth in TN viewpost.gif

Module 1 really needs 3 weeks instead of 2 because there is so much information included. The student will have a long list of things to memorize for the test so having the additional time will help them be successful.

:iagree:

I agree with this... there is a lot to memorize in the first module. Maybe not needed for all.... but I just remember that first module being tough with all the scientists and vocabulary.

What we did and do....instead of outlining.... I give them a highlighter and then taught them to use it. I mean, I showed them what to look for.*Ü* Points of reference or things that were relevant to study guide and even on your own and vocabulary. This makes studying so much easier.

HTH~

it's because I've either made out my own note-taking worksheet for him (notebook paper and pen and lots of blank space - nothing professional!)

*or*

I've high-lighted or underlined things he needs to take notes on.

Best wishes!

Rhonda

Us too... Guess I should have read other posts first.... it is a helpful tool though *Ü*

I'm notorious for doing too much for my kids - and your post made me realize that if I continue doing all the legwork, that he'll never learn how to do it for himself!

This year's science is already pretty much a done deal, but think I'll take your advice for physical science next year and let *him* pre-read the questions, etc.

I *really* like the idea of high-lighting the book as well. That was the best thing about college (especially used books!).

Thanks!

Rhonda

for Apologia science courses (General Science, Physical Science, Biology, etc.) I have my dc take notes or outline the daily readings. I found that outlining science was easier & more meaningful than outlining the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia. To give my dc a reason for outlining, I allow then to use their notes on the Study Guide, but no book. Tests are to be done w/o notes or book. This has been very successful for my dd. She writes out the answers to the OYOs & checks them herself before beginning the SG. I only require 1 lab to be written up properly per module.

JMHO

We tried General this year and the first 2 modules were really hard going. She did write out all the study questions and I let her copy the answers to the On Your Owns, to get a feel for what they were asking her. Taking into consideration all the other writing (IEW and Public Speaking) she would have definitely balked at the overkill.

If you dc needs practice outlining, maybe an either/or on alternating modules?