Menu

S/p high school health textbooks- questions

I saw a number of you recommending different high school texts for health. I am not going to teach this this year to my ninth grader but will wait for 10th. Anyway, I want to stay clear of books that do any of the following- badmouth vaccines, allopathic medicine, ADHD, or mental illness. I don't mean that I think mental illness isn't a bad thing but I don't want a text that implies mental illness is a result of sin or something like that.

I saw a number of you recommending different high school texts for health. I am not going to teach this this year to my ninth grader but will wait for 10th. Anyway, I want to stay clear of books that do any of the following- badmouth vaccines, allopathic medicine, ADHD, or mental illness. I don't mean that I think mental illness isn't a bad thing but I don't want a text that implies mental illness is a result of sin or something like that.

I would have to go back and look, but the three main texts mentioned are pretty traditional with respect to basic health care; they most certainly aren't at all on the side of alternative/complementary medicine. Though they come from a traditional framework, I am pretty sure they don't badmouth an alternative/integrative approach to medicine, either.

Again, I really would have to go back and look but I do not remember any hint of saying that mental illness is a result of sin. And I don't think they mention anything about ADHD.

The book my twins use "Lifetime Health, Friedman et al., Holt, 2004, ISBN 0030646146".. is straight forward (I think it is used alot in public schools and colleges).

It just tells the facts and gives a student a lot to think about. I didn't see anything bad about it when I looked throught it and if it did bad mouth about anything... I am positive my twins would have brought it to my attention.