Menu

Grammar and vocabulary for senior?

I have been so caught up in choosing reading material and writing assignments for my senior that I forgot to consider grammar and vocabulary. Her vocabulary has always been strong and she doesn't mix up her objective and subjective pronouns. I know little beyond that as far as where she stands. I also don't know if she will go to a vocational school or attend a four-year school. Would it be better to hedge my bets and cover grammar and vocabulary? I would probably use MCT level 3 since I can use it with her youngest brother down the road.

I have been so caught up in choosing reading material and writing assignments for my senior that I forgot to consider grammar and vocabulary. Her vocabulary has always been strong and she doesn't mix up her objective and subjective pronouns. I know little beyond that as far as where she stands. I also don't know if she will go to a vocational school or attend a four-year school. Would it be better to hedge my bets and cover grammar and vocabulary? I would probably use MCT level 3 since I can use it with her youngest brother down the road.

I certainly don't think you need to do it, and if it would complicate things or add any stress at all, I would skip it. You say her vocabulary is already good, and she'll be doing lots of meaty literature this year which will include vocabulary, so if her schedule is already pretty full, then I would just give her a copy of Elements of Style and have her refer to it when she writes.

When you say "MCT level 3" are you referring to Voyage or the HS level III (Word Within the Word, Magic Lens)? I think the MCT HS level III would be very time-consuming and intensive — equivalent to a full course in itself. Northwestern/CTD gives a full honors HS credit just for WWtW plus reading 2 novels! It seems like your DD will already have plenty to deal with this year, so I wouldn't pile on any courses that weren't needed, KWIM? Sometimes less truly is more. ;)

Another factor to consider — is she taking the SAT this year? If so, I'd probably focus the vocab/grammar studies towards SAT prep, rather than doing a full program.

Just my $.02...

Jackie

CTD gives a full HS credit each for WWtW I, II & III. Students have to complete the assignments in the book (including the 7-8 mini writing assignments each week and the weekly test), read 2 novels with challenging vocabulary, and write a brief "personal response" essay (not literary analysis) on each book. For that they're awarded one credit in Honors English Vocabulary I, II, or III, depending on the volume of WWtW.

I didn't mean to imply that WWtW III + Magic Lens III would be too difficult, just that I think it would be too time-consuming for what your DD would get out of it. MCT is not an "efficient" LA program — that's exactly it's charm, KWIM? It's the playing with words, the tangential thinking questions, quirky writing assignments, etc., that make the program what it is. It's a great program to use over several years, to really instill that love of language, but for a HS senior with a lot on her plate and standardized testing coming up, I just think an SAT prep program would be a much more efficient/effective use of her time. Knowing that "belike" is an archaic adverb may not be of much use on the SAT. ;)

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

If you do decide you want to continue with grammar, may I suggest the Easy Grammar 180 Daily Teaching Lessons for 12th grade. It says teaching lessons, but really they are just like Daily Grams. You could also get buy with just getting the teachers editions, since it is the same as the student book except the answers are in the back of the book.

Even if she has a great vocab you could consider having her do some kind of SAT vocab prep. We are using Vocabulary Cartoons, V1 and the words from this book: http://www.amazon.com/English-Literature-Composition-Crash-Course/dp/0738607827/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1282515453&sr=8-20.

CTD gives a full HS credit each for WWtW I, II & III. Students have to complete the assignments in the book (including the 7-8 mini writing assignments each week and the weekly test), read 2 novels with challenging vocabulary, and write a brief "personal response" essay (not literary analysis) on each book. For that they're awarded one credit in Honors English Vocabulary I, II, or III, depending on the volume of WWtW.

I didn't mean to imply that WWtW III + Magic Lens III would be too difficult, just that I think it would be too time-consuming for what your DD would get out of it. MCT is not an "efficient" LA program — that's exactly it's charm, KWIM? It's the playing with words, the tangential thinking questions, quirky writing assignments, etc., that make the program what it is. It's a great program to use over several years, to really instill that love of language, but for a HS senior with a lot on her plate and standardized testing coming up, I just think an SAT prep program would be a much more efficient/effective use of her time. Knowing that "belike" is an archaic adverb may not be of much use on the SAT. ;)

Jackie

Jackie, I'm so torn between doing "the SAT prep dance" and doing some actual, intriguing learning. Do I go for the test scores in hopes that she'll change her mind about college eventually or do I work more from the angle of re-igniting the love of learning and tests be darned? She is so jaded on "the system." I'm not sure I can afford to win the test and lose the battle, KWIM?

If you do decide you want to continue with grammar, may I suggest the Easy Grammar 180 Daily Teaching Lessons for 12th grade. It says teaching lessons, but really they are just like Daily Grams. You could also get buy with just getting the teachers editions, since it is the same as the student book except the answers are in the back of the book.

Even if she has a great vocab you could consider having her do some kind of SAT vocab prep. We are using Vocabulary Cartoons, V1 and the words from this book: http://www.amazon.com/English-Literature-Composition-Crash-Course/dp/0738607827/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1282515453&sr=8-20.

We used Easy Grammar before using MCT, but well, I love MCT! However, Easy Grammar would require less effort on both our parts. Hmmm. Thanks for reminding me about it, Luna.

Jackie, I'm so torn between doing "the SAT prep dance" and doing some actual, intriguing learning. Do I go for the test scores in hopes that she'll change her mind about college eventually or do I work more from the angle of re-igniting the love of learning and tests be darned? She is so jaded on "the system." I'm not sure I can afford to win the test and lose the battle, KWIM?

I just this minute read the thread where you mentioned she doesn't plan to go to college — now I get where you're coming from. Is Swimmer Dude doing WWtW I & Magic Lens I this year? Can you combine the kids? All three levels are pretty beefy, I don't think it really matters whether she does level I or level III. There are a lot of interesting thinking questions in both books, it might be fun to do those together orally as discussions instead of writing lots of little paragraphs. It might provide the "spark" you're looking for, without adding much to her actual work load.

BTW, I meant to ask in your thread a few days ago if your CC offers "distance learning" courses? I know you mentioned that she didn't really want to be in a classroom setting, but our CC offers a ton of courses completely online, including freshman comp, college algebra, Western Civ, intro to anthro/sociology/psych/art, etc. It might be worth looking into, especially if any of those courses could do "double duty" by transferring into a cosmo program. Taking a college-level course in an area that interests her, like history or literature or art, might even convince her to give college a try for a while, you know?

Jackie

Lisa,

Ds will be using Direct Hits Core Vocabulary of the SAT and Vocabulary Cartoons: SAT Word Power. He will also be working on grammar through SAT prep and his AP Language course which uses Princeton Review's Grammar Start. He'll work a little each day on these things.

http://www.amazon.com/Direct-Hits-Core-Vocabulary-SAT/dp/0981818439/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1282533091&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Vocabulary-Cartoons-SAT-Word-Power/dp/0965242234/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1282533132&sr=1-1

I'm not sure if this is of any help, as ds is planning to take the SAT for sure.

Jackie, Luna, and Lisa, thank you so much for your input. I feel like we are hanging in limbo right now. Hopefully, this year will provide her with some breathing space and an opportunity to solidify her skills. She does plan on taking the SAT so we are going to need to focus on that whether I want to or not.:D I think you are all right in that I should look at materials for grammar and vocab that are geared to the test. And Jackie, Swimmer Dude is doing Magic Lens and WWtW I this year so it might be good to do some work together.

Oddly, the whole diploma rests on the final English credit that she needs. She will do it nowhere but home with me. She feels like she has missed so much in not covering ancient classics and the history that goes with them. One good thing is that in watching me prepare for Swimmer Dude's history for this year, she's decided to check into taking the AP European History test that she passed on taking earlier.

I've thought of having both of us audit a literature course at the university downtown to give her somewhat the feel of college academics.

I like having a plan. The uncertainty of the whole thing is unnerving. I really appreciate being able to come here and run this stuff past everyone.