Menu

Memory work for ancients for high school/middle school?

I have not done a good job with memory work and am trying to remedy that. I would love to have a list of memory work that your children have done in high school or middle school. We are doing the ancient time period this year but I'd take lists from any year. I want my son to memorize passages or quotes rather than lists.

Thanks,

Kendall

My girls are memorizing passages from the Iliad, Odyssey and Aeneid this year. They will memorize 2 or 3 American history poems and 2 or 3 astronomy themed poems. They will have John 1:1-34 memorized in Latin and English as a requirement for their online Latin class and they've been asked (by me :))to teach their younger siblings 9 or 10 American themed songs this year. I'm sure they already know a few, but may have to learn a few more themselves.

We're doing Heb. 11 as our Bible passage this year (because it focuses so much on the patriarchs, and we are doing TOG year 1). We're also memorizing "The Destruction of Sennacherib" by Byron. We're memorizing a few other poems (that don't have anything to do with the ancients!), as well a 32 point timeline of important events with dates that I came up with. My oldest is going into 8th grade, but I am in charge of the memory work for the 2-6th graders in a little co-op we are in, and so these things are some of what we are working on this year (we're also doing a scientific fact each week, as well as lots of TOG mapwork). My 8th grader will be memorizing them too!