Menu

? camera for 8-year-old

My son bought a digital camera with some of his 7th b-day money (kid is seriously spoiled). I made him shop around, and we got a great price on a Canon. We bought it at my dad's pawn shop, so it was guaranteed to be a good deal, but even so, we made sure it had the battery, charger, memory card, and WORKED before we bought it. It's a simple point-and-shoot, and he loves it. We preferred that one because he'd already been playing with my Canon PowerShot for a while before he decided he wanted one of his own. He's recently discovered how to make movies with it, and he also is starting to fiddle around with the settings to make the photos black and white, sepia, etc. He hauls it everywhere, and it's held up remarkably well. He can also charge it himself, which he likes.

Start watching clearance sales on cameras and buy him a real one with a proprietary battery. We did for our son after the kiddie one ate batteries like candy. My parents then gave him a real one that use rechargeable AAs but those didn't last long enough either. Finally we found one on clearance for about $60 and it has been amazing. We did have to buy a larger memory card thuogh.