Menu

Should I return the Psychology course?

We've made a bit of a change to our 10th grader's plan. Here is what we planned:

Algebra II/Trig

Biology (with CLEP exam)

Latin II (online at Veritas Press)

Omnibus IV

Sonlight Psychology course

We well also be doing Classical Writing Plutarch but it's only 15 weeks so se'll do it in the Spring.

We have now signed her up for Veritas Press' Rhetoric I course. We decided to do it this year because it's a prerequisite for some courses we may want her to take in the next 2 years so it was safest to do it now and not regret it. So I'm wondering if adding an online Rhetoric course to this schedule will be too much.

Thoughts?

Heather

I am in no way a teacher or parent but I can tell you it depends on the student. If she would like to take the Rhetoric course and drop psychology then she should. OR if she feels that she can handle both let her. Give her the power. But do remember, you are the parent and you have the final say but you should let her decide as well.

I agree that it depends on the student. As I see it, you have

1 History

1 Eng

1 writing (maybe an extra .5 credit? Maybe not)

1 Science

1 math

1 foreign lang

1 Theology

Our ps students take 4 core classes plus 3 electives, so that means, without the Rhetoric, she'd be comparable to a ps student around here.

I have a Ph.D. in Psychology and have taught the subject to homeschooled high school students in a co-op setting using the Sonlight materials. It's not an easy course. The most difficult content, to my way of thinking, is "front-loaded." The physiology stuff comes early in the course, and it's the most difficult to master -- at least, it was for me (when I took psychology years ago) and it was for my students when I taught the class last year using the Sonlight materials. So, letting your student give it a whirl and then decide whether to continue may not be a good strategy.

In addition, the tests are HARD. Every test is comprehensive, covering all the material in the course thus far. It is truly designed as an AP course.

Don't hesitate to ask more questions, if you have any and you think I may be able to help.