Menu

Science Club ideas

I'm looking to start a little science club for 3rd & 4th graders and I need help with a few ideas. Will any of you brainstorm with me? :bigear:

I did this a few years ago and used the curriculum from ClubZoom (remember the PBS kids show Zoom?), but I need a few fresh ideas that are a little more exciting...we'll do a film canister rocket, build a hovercraft. I tend to lean towards the engineering type of science, but it doesn't necessarily need to be so. Basically my plan is to do some fun, hands-on things that will get them excited about science, introduce the background info, let their minds think, let them have something tangible to take home & tell family about...plus I'd like it to be not too expensive and not too messy.

Have any of you done any science activities/experiments that have gone over really well with your kids that you might recommend? TIA!

Ooohh..these look like a lot of fun. Do you order straight from this website or can you get them other places? Thanks!

I've ordered from the website, but I've also seen them (also on-line) at some science companies, and every once in a blue moon will see them at a used bookstore or the like. Easiest to do the website, I think.

And they are a LOT of fun! The ones I mentioned have relatively little supply-hunting, are fairly inexpensive, and produce hours of fascinated, absorbed kids.

I just found a website that has some links to great engineering and science activities. I realize I'm the one who started the thread, so I'm answering my own question...but maybe someone out there would be interested in checking this out:

http://content.asce.org/asceville/resources.html#educators

There are ideas from DesignSquad and BuildingBig, apparently two shows from pbs that I know nothing about...but I love how they have these activity guides all laid out and I just need to print them up, gather the supplies, and let the kids have at it.