Menu

Who has switched from Singapore to Math Mammoth?

JadeOrchidSong

I am thinking about switching ds from SM to MM. Ds 7.5 is doing ok with SM, but he is very slow. Ds 5.5 is doing SM 1. Although they are both ok with it, they are not fond of it.

I don't like any TM, so I haven't used TM for SM. So MM is appealing to me because I don't have to think which book to use, Wk, IP, or CWP and when to do which.

I would like to streamline our math. Because of the rave on this forum, I think I want to give MM a try. I hope it will work for us.

Have you done this and when did you make the switch? Ds is 3/4 done with SM 3A standard edition. Ds 5.5 is almost done with SM 1B.

J

Me too, and we LOVE Math Mammoth. I was initially using Singapore to supplement Math U See; now I'm using Math U see to supplement Math Mammoth, making it our main math program. It's so much easier for ME to teach and so much easier for THEM to understand. It's streamlined but keeps the best of Singapore's principles. It's designed for homeschoolers. We really like it!

DD switched from 1B to MM last semester; DS switched after completing MUS Primer and Singapore Essential Maths. Both are doing well!

I don't like having a separate TM either, but I didn't buy Singapore's guide for level 1. I switched to MM as a main spine because of the rave reviews here and I've been very pleased with the results. For MM2, I'm planning to supplement with Singapore's IP and CWP and maybe some MEP, which has a separate TM. I dislike printing out the TM and when I have a chance to transfer all my files from my desktop to my laptop, I'm going to look at TM from my laptop (I still haven't gotten the wireless connection settled either). Someone else mentioned having the TM on Kindle and I'm hoping for a response on how to do this as I do have a Kindle, but have no clue how it's done.

Anyway...I'm really happy with the switch because DD wasn't doing that well in Singapore earlier this year until we started with MM. We just finished level 1 and will be starting MM2 soon. I'm surprised how well it teaches kids to do mental math. Singapore is great too but MM breaks it down much better and got DD to know all her math facts without any need for me to ask her to memorize anything - it comes naturally.

Edited by crazyforlatin

I don't like having a separate TM either, but I didn't buy Singapore's guide for level 1. I switched to MM as a main spine because of the rave reviews here and I've been very pleased with the results. For MM2, I'm planning to supplement with Singapore's IP and CWP and maybe some MEP, which has a separate TM. I dislike printing out the TM and when I have a chance to transfer all my files from my desktop to my laptop, I'm going to look at TM from my laptop (I still haven't gotten the wireless connection settled either). Someone else mentioned having the TM on Kindle and I'm hoping for a response on how to do this as I do have a Kindle, but have no clue how it's done.

Anyway...I'm really happy with the switch because DD wasn't doing that well in Singapore earlier this year until we started with MM. We just finished level 1 and will be starting MM2 soon. I'm surprised how well it teaches kids to do mental math. Singapore is great too but MM breaks it down much better and got DD to know all her math facts without any need for me to ask her memorize anything - it comes naturally.

Me too, it's been AMAZING to me how easily the kids have gotten those facts down, when we spent SO MUCH time trying to drill it and review with games while doing Singapore ...