Menu

Feedback on these books, please!

MelanieM

A local homeschooler is selling off quite a few books and I'm considering purchasing some of the following series for my 7 yo daughter, who is an avid reader with varied tastes. Can anyone provide feedback and let me know if any of these are completely horrid and/or especially great?

Magic Attic Club

Amber Brown

Fairy Realm

Warriors

Dragon Slayers' Academy

Carole Marsh Mysteries

Animal Ark

TIA!

A local homeschooler is selling off quite a few books and I'm considering purchasing some of the following series for my 7 yo daughter, who is an avid reader with varied tastes. Can anyone provide feedback and let me know if any of these are completely horrid and/or especially great?

Magic Attic Club

Amber Brown

Fairy Realm

Warriors

Dragon Slayers' Academy

Carole Marsh Mysteries

Animal Ark

TIA!

My dd has read a lot of Magic Attic, I haven't read any myself, they are simple like the American Girl books as far as reading level goes.

I did read the first Warriors series book because ds wanted to read them. They were okay, clans of cats fight over territory and prey.

I wouldn't purchase either of these series unless they were very cheap. We get them from the library (but we have access to a good library very close to us). JMHO:D

It depends on how strict you are with twaddle. Animal Ark isn't bad, dd and I read them together. I would definitely get those, especially if your kid is an animal lover.

Fairy Realm - we started our first one a few days ago. I'm not impressed so far but dd likes them. I haven't seen any value in it yet but we're only about 1/3 of the way through.

It depends on how strict you are with twaddle.

I agree. Our problem was that once these kinds of books came to live in our house, they were all she wanted to read. When we had to get them at the library, after she'd read through the few they had, she was happy to look for other, (IMO) better options and accept the twaddly books as we managed to order (in fits and starts) through ILL.

If the whole twaddle issue doesn't concern you at all, then I don't see anything wrong with any of those series, from what I know. DD has read a few out of most of those series, and as far as I know, there wasn't anything objectionable in them.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I'm not especially worried about the twaddle aspect as she will read anything I put in front of her, which includes a lot of quality literature. We normally use the library for most fiction, but we have a 'treasure chest' of treats for the kids and I want to put books in there for my girl. These are cheap, so I figure they'll be a good option, assuming none of them are especially awful.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I'm not especially worried about the twaddle aspect as she will read anything I put in front of her, which includes a lot of quality literature. We normally use the library for most fiction, but we have a 'treasure chest' of treats for the kids and I want to put books in there for my girl. These are cheap, so I figure they'll be a good option, assuming none of them are especially awful.

Hey, that's a great idea! Thanks :D