Menu

Apple cider vinegar as acne remedy

A while ago someone recommended ACV as an acne remedy. Today on a whim I bought some! I want to ask if anyone else had tried it recently and how successful it was.

p.s. I usually use acne.org products (especially the BP) but it would be great if I could use ACV instead - what a bargain!

I'm usually just a lurker here, but I have used acv (any vinegar, actually) as an acne treatment, and had success with it. I diluted it 1:3 with water (you can start at a weaker dilution if your skin is sensitive and work up to a stronger one). I found that it took a couple of weeks of using twice a day to really make a difference.

I have recently switched over to using some tea trea oil /herbal pads that I picked up at Trader Joe's (I think the brand is Dessert Essence). Dh really didn't like the smell of vinegar on my face, lol, but I actually think the tea tree oil poduct works better. My skin is completely clear for the first time in years. I've seen it at other stores, such as Whole Foods, as well, but the price is much lower at TJ's. (One warning though, a couple of different studies have found that tea tree oil in products such as shampoos and lotions can cause estrogen levels in boys to rise enough to give them breast buds! So if my any of my boys stuggle with acne, we'll be going the acv route).

HTH,

Sarah

Yes, it works. IIRC, ACV is similar in molecular structure to...glycolic acid? Anyway, you can use it as a toner after cleaning a.m. and p.m. by mixing 1 part ACV with 3 parts water. You can use a Q-tip to dab it, full strength, on blemishes. You can use a cotton ball to apply it, full strength, to the entire face, and then rinse it off after ten minutes or so.

I use Retin-A micro every other day, ACV on the off days. During the winter or pregnancy I drop the Retin-A altogether and just use ACV.

Edited by Pretty in Pink
sp.

Thank you the replies! I tried it last night full strength with a cotton ball and had to wash it off within a few minutes because it burned. I'll give it a try diluted.

Sarah, I wonder if diluted tea tree oil would work. Maybe tea tree oil in witch hazel. I already add tea tree oil to my shampoo.

Pretty in Pink, can you tell me about Retin A micro?

I've been using Retin-A Micro on and off for several years. I mentioned earlier that I usually stop it during the winter months (my skin gets so dry) and of course during pregnancy. I use it every other night when I do use it.

When I first start using it there is this adjustment period where my skin gets sort of chapped, almost like a windburn. It's mostly around my chin. It's not pleasant but if you keep using it your skin will adjust after 4 to 6 weeks. That's why I only use it every other night though; some do use it nightly but I just can't.

It does make your skin photo-sensitive, so you have to use a good sunscreen when you go outdoors.

My insurance does cover it. It's also available through In House Pharmacy (online) without a script for ~100.00/tube. One tube lasts me nearly a year.

Um...it comes in different strengths. There is also a Retin A cream which is more like a lotion, so it's less moisturizing apparently. I haven't tried that.

Whoopsie!

I told my eldest DD about the ACV and she's been using it. She only uses it once per day FS and doesn't wash it off. Her only complaint is the smell.

Her face is CLEAR while she is using it.

The whoopsie is because I didn't know she should either be diluting it or washing it off!

I've been using Retin-A Micro on and off for several years. I mentioned earlier that I usually stop it during the winter months (my skin gets so dry) and of course during pregnancy. I use it every other night when I do use it.

When I first start using it there is this adjustment period where my skin gets sort of chapped, almost like a windburn. It's mostly around my chin. It's not pleasant but if you keep using it your skin will adjust after 4 to 6 weeks. That's why I only use it every other night though; some do use it nightly but I just can't.

It does make your skin photo-sensitive, so you have to use a good sunscreen when you go outdoors.

My insurance does cover it. It's also available through In House Pharmacy (online) without a script for ~100.00/tube. One tube lasts me nearly a year.

Um...it comes in different strengths. There is also a Retin A cream which is more like a lotion, so it's less moisturizing apparently. I haven't tried that.

Thanks. I've been thinking of getting some but so far the price has stopped me.

I'm not sure about diluting tea tree oil. Since it is an oil, it is not soluble in water.

The product that I mentioned has a lot of other herbs in it besides tea tree that are good for the skin (neem, lavender and witch hazel, for example), so I think that it is more than just the tea tree that makes it so effective for me.