Menu

Scatterbrained child

Embassy

I'm not sure of a better word for it - scatterbrained seems to describe my 6 year old son. I love him to bits. He is so incredibly creative and loving and has such as love for life, but sometimes he just doesn't think! For instance, today he was trying to do a magic trick where he made a blueberry disappear. Turns out he was throwing them across the room! Yesterday, for instance, he was helping to clear the table and he started dancing around with the bottles of salad dressing. But the bottles were upside down with the lids not fully on. He went on to tell me that is how you are supposed to hold them. I could go on and on. How do I help him to stop and think about what he is about to do?

As far as schooling goes he does very well. He works 1-2 grade levels above his age in every subject. His only weakness is in the area of auditory processing (i.e. during read alouds his imagination takes his mind to other places).

Edited by Wehomeschool

Maybe try that Reading Comprehension (MCP) resource recommended by Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Picks for Homeschooling Curriculum book to make him slow down and think about and listen better during reading. As for the other, I have no suggestions, but just time and maturity.

Scatterbrained and creative often go together, I'm afraid. My scatterbrained, creative one is severely ADHD. She also has auditory and visual processing issues. We tried to work with her for years and realized that as she got older she just got worse instead of better. She was in trouble all the time and was beginning to think poorly of herself. We agreed to try Ritalin when our daughter was 9, almost 10 and it's made a world of difference for her. She's still creative, crosswired, and intensely high-energy but her body no longer goes 100 miles an hour faster than her brain. I remember one time, we were in the mall where I was trying to buy Easter dresses for 5 girls and keep the boy entertained in his stroller. This child was excited about something, shouting and jumping and speed-telling some crazy story, all the while shaking her open drink container. Suddenly she looked at me, shocked, and said, "Hey! There's chocolate milk on me!" She honestly had no idea who had pour chocolate milk over her head.

He's only six and will likely grown out of it with help and time, but it's something to think about as he does or doesn't mature. For us, Ritalin is a crutch that allows her to physically control her actions long enough to for all of the guiding and teaching to take hold. We expect her to eventually wean off of it after the teen years when the frontal lobe has caught up to where it needs to be.

:grouphug: This kids can be hugely challenging and hugely rewarding. There is never a dull moment, to turn a cliched phrase.

Barb

ETA: Try googling, "Executive Function in kids" for ideas on how to teach kids to think before they act.

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

My creative\artist dd11 was just like what you describe when she was younger. Her actions always took precedence over her brain. She once made a picture by dipping her feet in paint and walking all over the large sheet of paper. Then she walked upstairs to clean her feet off in the bathtub. :glare: When I asked her what she was thinking she said she knew I wouldn't want her washing her feet in the kitchen sink. :confused:

I had to balance allowing her to act or create spontaneously with being able to quickly evaluate the outcome of the action she was about to take. The more importance I placed on the outcome the less she created, imagined and played. I believe she became stifled by the fear of making a mess, or doing something wrong. I backed off and she was back to her old self.

My solution was just a lot of supervision with guidance if I saw a mess brewing. If I saw her grabbing the flour I would let her know that she should set up her lego man snow-scene on a disposable tablecloth so that she wouldn't have such a mess to clean up. If I didn't catch her in time then it would be a lesson in how to clean mayonnaise out of a carpet. Frustrating? Oh yes! Did I want to put her in a straight-jacket until she turned 18? Definitely! It was a learning process...but she never made the same mess twice.:tongue_smilie:

She is much better now that she is older. She has gained the maturity or maybe the brain capacity to be able to maintain her creativity and think ahead. Hang in there!

Scatterbrained and creative often go together, I'm afraid.

I wonder why that is.

This child was excited about something, shouting and jumping and speed-telling some crazy story, all the while shaking her open drink container. Suddenly she looked at me, shocked, and said, "Hey! There's chocolate milk on me!" She honestly had no idea who had pour chocolate milk over her head.

So funny. That is something my ds would do.

ETA: Try googling, "Executive Function in kids" for ideas on how to teach kids to think before they act.

Thanks I'll try that.

My creative\artist dd11 was just like what you describe when she was younger. Her actions always took precedence over her brain. She once made a picture by dipping her feet in paint and walking all over the large sheet of paper. Then she walked upstairs to clean her feet off in the bathtub. :glare: When I asked her what she was thinking she said she knew I wouldn't want her washing her feet in the kitchen sink. :confused:

LOL, my son would do that too.

I had to balance allowing her to act or create spontaneously with being able to quickly evaluate the outcome of the action she was about to take. The more importance I placed on the outcome the less she created, imagined and played. I believe she became stifled by the fear of making a mess, or doing something wrong. I backed off and she was back to her old self.

My solution was just a lot of supervision with guidance if I saw a mess brewing. If I saw her grabbing the flour I would let her know that she should set up her lego man snow-scene on a disposable tablecloth so that she wouldn't have such a mess to clean up. If I didn't catch her in time then it would be a lesson in how to clean mayonnaise out of a carpet. Frustrating? Oh yes! Did I want to put her in a straight-jacket until she turned 18? Definitely! It was a learning process...but she never made the same mess twice.:tongue_smilie:

Good advice. I don't want to inhibit his creativity, but he does need supervision. I know when the bathroom door closes and all is quiet for a few minutes to go and check on him. That is his main "experiment" area. At least it is easier to clean than carpet!

She is much better now that she is older. She has gained the maturity or maybe the brain capacity to be able to maintain her creativity and think ahead. Hang in there!

Thanks, hopefully maturity will make a big difference.

Guest momk2000

Oh yes, we have one of those too. Our 9yo dd definitely fits the description. She is very creative/artisic, smart as a whip, but so unaware of her surroundings. Like the absent minded professor - lol. I don't really have too much advice. We are just thankful that in addition to her little quriks, she is a very cautious child. :D

Absent minded professor! I love that! My 6 yo dd is just the same. Extremely bright, oozing creativity and imagination but does. not. think. before she acts. It seems particularly bad for the past few weeks for some reason. No advice, but lots of empathy coming from me. :grouphug: I'll be trying out some of these tips and advice too so Thanks!